Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Rivian CEO Shows Off Camp Kitchen Accessory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

The upcoming all-electric Rivian R1T pickup will also include a number of add-on modules, one of the first announced being a full camp kitchen.

Rivian Chief RJ Scaringe shared a video to Twitter last week offering a camp kitchen overview. The truck features a gear tunnel with a sliding rack that holds the various kitchen modules.

The kitchen features a two-burner induction cooktop offering a powerful 1,440 watts, a 4-gallon water tank, pump, collapsible sink and spray faucet.

The kitchen also includes a full cookware set that has a 3-piece nonstick cook set, prep tools, water kettle, coffee grinder, dishes, flatware and insulated mugs for four.

The camp kitchen is just one example of the utility that the gear tunnel provides. The company says on its website that its shuttle system platform has been developed to support “a range of future Gear Tunnel accessories.”

The first Rivian R1T pickups are expected to be delivered later this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty cool idea. But I wouldn't buy it JUST for that as I'm sure they make aftermarket truck bed mobile kitchens.

Really really want them to FINALLY make an actual truck that I can test drive, which unfortunately will probably be another 2 years.

I mean I know they are SAYING they will have by end of year but I'm sure will be very limited. And that's if everything goes well, which I'm sure, for this unproven brand new company, won't.

Also where to charge? Also where to service? Also, is it gonna be an old fashioned truck just ev ir actually have some smart tech?

Ha! After a two second Google search...
CA5D5E21-5161-4D2D-98A9-04150667D0C8.png

even with Tesla's network of service centers - some states still have zero places to go to get "in" or "out" of warranty work done- meaning you have to take your car 100's of miles sometimes, to get 'em worked on. We have one property in Montana, for example. And so . . . . how many states lack Rivian Service centers (rhetorical question)?

Tesla and Rivian should just merge. They are a match made in heaven. Beautiful vehicles from both. They compliment each other so so well.

Tesla brings their knowledge, network, and existing engineering / manufacturing. Rivian brings Amazon partnership for EV trucks, automotive production facilities they have redesigned, and engineering.

I like Rivian. They are fresh. Tesla is like Porsche in some respects - same look, going on 10 years. Tesla is cool, but no longer new. Rivian is going to be the new hot toy, if they can live up to expectations. The Cybertruck isn’t going to be a vehicle for everyone, and the Rivian’s R1S / R1T are going to get more customers than the Model X is getting (which comparatively, is a relatively unpopular vehicle).

Tesla and Rivian are both cool, but for different reasons. If they combined, they could become a much bigger force (think Audi/VW/Porsche, Toyota/Lexus, GM, Ford)

even with Tesla's network of service centers - some states still have zero places to go to get "in" or "out" of warranty work done- meaning you have to take your car 100's of miles sometimes, to get 'em worked on. We have one property in Montana, for example. And so . . . . how many states lack Rivian Service centers (rhetorical question)?
Of coarse there are extreme cases, and I'm sure other high end car companies service is lacking too. You have a place in Montana for a reason, bc it's middle of nowhere. Beautiful I'm sure, but not really civilization.

Tesla has a VAST network throughout the country and good portions of world.

My point was every Joe schmo can make a car company with enough money but you can't come close to tesla at this time. Maybe in 5-10 years. And I wish them luck. More competition is better for all. I'm just doing for now I wouldn't hedge my bets yet.

I am in Alaska. I’ve had a Tesla for going on seven years, four with an S now almost 3 with a 3. We have no superchargers very little third-party chargers my closest Tesla service center it’s further than Atlanta to San Diego. I’ve had no problems with service or charging and I’m very early in line for the Rivian So I can get rid of my LX570 and to be electric only.

I am in Alaska. I’ve had a Tesla for going on seven years, four with an S now almost 3 with a 3. We have no superchargers very little third-party chargers my closest Tesla service center it’s further than Atlanta to San Diego. I’ve had no problems with service or charging and I’m very early in line for the Rivian So I can get rid of my LX570 and to be electric only.
Your story seems painful.
How did have NO problems with service with the closest service center being 2k miles away?

If you do some research you will see that the R1T will be a very usable truck and they will have a supercharger net work like Tesla. They are also going around the US to various cities and you will be able to see one in person late this year.

I have done ALOT of research. I research evs all the time, somehow it became my hobby.

Having said that rivian has NOT proved anything yet. It's all hype at this point.

Yes it sounds AWESOME in theory. But until you see rivian chargers everywhere, which is very very unlikely it's all fake and done to generate investment.

I don't think anyone is arguing that rivian will make a horrible truck. It looks good and seems to have hypotheticaly decent specs, but until private people drive and review it, it's all theoretical.

I'm SURE rivian, a no name brand new baby inexperienced company, will NOT deliver on the specs. Legacy car makers, that have been making great cars effectively for many dozens of years have failed to deliver on tesla beating specs so logically rivian will too.

Lastly, there is no service network, no vast charger network, no tech. Again, all theoretical hype at this point.

But I AM very excited to see where it goes. And hopefully in 3-5 years rivian might be a decent competitor to tesla. Until then its all fun and games.

How did have NO problems with service with the closest service center being 2k miles away?

I have done ALOT of research. I research evs all the time, somehow it became my hobby.

Having said that rivian has NOT proved anything yet. It's all hype at this point.

Yes it sounds AWESOME in theory. But until you see rivian chargers everywhere, which is very very unlikely it's all fake and done to generate investment.

I don't think anyone is arguing that rivian will make a horrible truck. It looks good and seems to have hypotheticaly decent specs, but until private people drive and review it, it's all theoretical.

I'm SURE rivian, a no name brand new baby inexperienced company, will NOT deliver on the specs. Legacy car makers, that have been making great cars effectively for many dozens of years have failed to deliver on tesla beating specs so logically rivian will too.

Lastly, there is no service network, no vast charger network, no tech. Again, all theoretical hype at this point.

But I AM very excited to see where it goes. And hopefully in 3-5 years rivian might be a decent competitor to tesla. Until then its all fun and games.
Yes, this is all possible one of the things that make me hopeful is they are currently manufacturing the Van for Amazon and are well capitalized. The service will be like Tesla, go on the app and schedule service at your home eventually they will have some service centers. We will see.

Yes, this is all possible one of the things that make me hopeful is they are currently manufacturing the Van for Amazon and are well capitalized. The service will be like Tesla, go on the app and schedule service at your home eventually they will have some service centers. We will see.

Hey. The more companies making advanced cars the better!

I personally don't care much for the electric part except the performance. I don't believe the climate hoax. I got my tesla for the specs and the tech.

So for me, and there lots of people like me, a truck that happens to be electric won't go far unless it has the specs and tech.

Regarding the Amazon van, eh, commercial is very different but it does provide capital, if they actually put many on the roads which they are still far from.

I’ve had no issues because mobile service comes to me. Had alignment issues with our S on delivery, one week later mobile tech showed up at my house, left with the car and it came back in a few hours fixed. Had a recall and tail lift warranty with the 3, mobile came to my house and did the work in my garage.

closest service center is ~2200 miles away, closest supercharger is ~2100 miles away.