Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scrubbing noise when turning. What is it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

prybarczyk

Supporting Member
Apr 24, 2024
Peoria, IL USA
My 2020-Dec Model S Long Range (recently purchased from Tesla used inventory with 38K miles) makes a rubbing/scrubbing sound during slow tight turns in either direction. Example video attached. My old 2016-Apr Model S P90D with 87K miles does not make this sound. It's only audible inside the car (not outside), and the tires are not worn or rubbing. Tesla Service agreed it didn't sound normal, but could not determine the cause. They first said it sounded like failing bearings (my initial concern), but after-inspection, they said the bearings and CV joints all seemed fine. They replaced my worn suspension links, but the noise still persists. Here is my service-visit documentation:

Concern: Customer states: Other · Noise & Vibration - Audible scrubbing sound during slow speed tight turns as when parking. This is compared to my 2016 P90D Model S. Would like the drive line inspected. It feels like something is wearing out or about to fail.

Repair Notes: Discovered wear on some suspension joints in the vehicle. Replaced rear and front suspension links to help enhance ride quality and road noise. Aligned vehicle and drove car to validate alignment.

Anyone else experience this? Or any guesses about the cause? How concerned should I be? I still have 20 months of full-warranty remaining, so I don't mind taking it in for another service if I can give them something to check. Thanks in advance for your help.

I can't hear anything on your video. I also got a 2020 S from Tesla with 25,000 miles in August. It has this very faint squeek at 23 mph ever since I got it. Tesla said it was too faint to deal with, and its still there. The car initially had a vibration problem with some turns, but that went away by itself.

Peter

Upvote 0
I can't hear anything on your video. I also got a 2020 S from Tesla with 25,000 miles in August. It has this very faint squeek at 23 mph ever since I got it. Tesla said it was too faint to deal with, and its still there. The car initially had a vibration problem with some turns, but that went away by itself.

Peter
Thanks Peter. What device/speaker did you listen on? It's hard to hear through my iPhone speaker, and a laptop speaker may be similar. But it seems quite easy to hear through the speakers of my iMac and my TV and my Tesla. Regarding your vibration problem that went away, I recall reading that recently-replaced CV joints could run rough until they had some time to break-in.

Upvote 0
Mud flaps?
Thanks, but there are no mud flaps on the car. I recently had Tesla Mobile Service at my house (for an unrelated issue), so I asked their tech about the noise. After hearing it, he had me turn lock-to-lock while parked to make sure no tires/wheels were rubbing. His service-vehicle was a Model S, so he knew what they should sound like. He also suggested I take it to Tesla Service to be checked. Tesla Service suspected wheel-bearings, but then said they looked ok. Hope they're right! I had the bearings fail in one of my Chevy trucks, and that was quite scary, plus it destroyed the brakes. I waited a little too long that time ... front-right bearings failed going ~40 MPH, just a mlle from the dealership on my way to get its scraping sound diagnosed. Fortunately, that was all warrantee service, but now such noises make me nervous.

Upvote 0
Dose it have air suspension? If so raise the suspension when cornering as this prevents the wheel from rubbing up against the wheel arch liner.
Yes, it has air suspension ... standard on all the 2020's I believe. I've just been leaving that on "Auto", but I think I'll retest it set both low and high to see if that makes any difference. But I doubt it's just the tire rubbing, and I'd hope Tesla Service would have noticed something so simple. But thanks for the suggestion ... I'll post a follow-up with my findings.

• Informative
Reactions: MSJack
Upvote 0
Lightly ride your brakes and see if goes away, it could be brake pads dragging on the rotors at certain angles of turns, if it goes away with slight brake pressure that is what it is... I call it the "rusty rotor scrub".
Thanks for the reply. Although it does sound similar to rusty rotors, it's definitely not that. I've been hearing that sound occasionally for five years, but only the next day after rain or a wash. A bit of braking always makes it quiet again.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Upvote 0
Another update in case anyone has info on this mystery ... I found an earlier thread on what appears to be this same issue, but they described it as a "moaning" sound. Here is a link to that:

Also, I lifted my front wheels with a floor jack to spin them, and there is no play or wobble or binding or strange sounds that I can detect. Here is a short video of that:

For now, I guess I'm just going to ignore it until it gets worse.

Upvote 0