Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should Tesla advertise a bit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you can sell the numbers of product that you need to, no need to advertise. For a company the size of Tesla, advertising would probably require a $10M investment.

Like all updated electronics, your phone in particular, the manual consists of the manual plus release notes. The Tesla manuals are updated periodically, last update for model 3 less than 6 months ago.
Of course when so few people read the manual....
IIRC the in car manual is usually more up to date than the one they post online.

The cost of gas and the desire to lower one's carbon footprint remain strong drivers of demand.

Tesla has marketing and media departments whose strategies have been quite successful.

I'm not in the industry but you typically don't just throw out a few short TV ads. I'd prefer they didn't get into that game for now. They are a tech company and need to stay grounded in R&D.

Correct me if I'm wrong, here, but I believe that Ferrari has sold a car or two over the years. (first link; CBC story)

Edit: typo

They also spend billions on racing, they advertise and market their product all across the world through that medium alone. They plaster their name on everything they can and it advertises to their clients. Tesla doesn't make million dollar supercars that sound like sex, they make sedans that go fast in a strait line. Also, here's a Ferrari advertisement that showed up in a car magazine.

87d2845b9220ea14e3ee5ffea96c370c.jpg

And another

4604864480.png

You can also find countless print and media advertising from the company back in the early days. Just because they don't run a commercial during an episode of Big Bang Theory doesn't mean they don't advertise to their client. They spent millions on traditional advertising to build the brand that everyone knows today which paid off in them not having to continue that type of advertising. So if tesla wants to spend millions on advertising and billions racing every year then sure, they can eventually stop that advertising like Ferrari does.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Absolutely they need to advertise. I’ve been saying this for a while now and they have to do something. Most “regular” people still not know what a Tesla is, think BEVs have a range of around 100 miles and take 3 days to charge. They need educational ads but they also have to keep peoples attention. 10 second spots won’t do it. 30 at the least.

We as a community can only go so far and teach so many. They need to do their part as well.

We all think they are becoming mainstream because we see a few on the road, but the real reason we think they’re becoming mainstream is because we are “IN IT”. We eat, sleep and breather Tesla and EVs.

Young kids for sure do know what a Tesla is, but the people that can potentially afford one... not so much.

Get out there and show people what’s up Tesla. No need to be shy, you’ve come this far.

I would start with something like this and then make some that highlight range and how real world charging works (again, most people think you charge like you gas up and we all know that is far from the truth)

I saw an ad last night for Audi’s eSuv. It went a long way to dispel misconceptions.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I hope they start advertising as soon as they can't keep up with demand on a regular basis. Right now it doesn't make sense to spend any money advertising as long as they sell every car they can produce. If and when that happens, hopefully they'll start doing some advertising- should be pretty easy to track ROI.

I hope they start advertising as soon as they can't keep up with demand on a regular basis. Right now it doesn't make sense to spend any money advertising as long as they sell every car they can produce. If and when that happens, hopefully they'll start doing some advertising- should be pretty easy to track ROI.

I think that is the point, the day is here. Look at S/X sales, do you see the demand problem? Are they selling every one they make ?

The S/X may seem dated to us, but people I run into in the midwest know little about them. Now is the time, don't let a timeless design die on the vine due to failing to build a brand image not based on tweets and educating the public.

I am not necessarily talking about TV ads, look at what Porsche has done with "There is no substitute."

From my take on the investor report call, the main S/X sales drop was because they were retooling for the new motor they just announce this week- they weren't building as many new units.

I can’t imagine you are actually drinking that kool aid.

Did you notice the drop in the sales volume, the $19k price drop and the discounts on inventory models ? Do you believe that they are selling every S/X that could possibly make ?

I can’t imagine you are actually drinking that kool aid.

Did you notice the drop in the sales volume, the $19k price drop and the discounts on inventory models ? Do you believe that they are selling every S/X that could possibly make ?

We'll see next quarter what happens. I do think Model 3 is heavily stealing S/X sales. I imagine there is some time to retool models for significant design changes- do you think there would be 0 impact of doing that?

Reactions: neroden
It's just like when comparing Tesla sales to ICE sales, everyone is so quick to say Tesla is crushing its competition when they actually aren't. Tesla has no competition in the Luxury EV space. Tesla is an EV that's compared to ICE. For years if you wanted a long range EV you were forced into the Model S because no one else made a long range EV. It's not people deciding between a BMW 7 series or MB S-class, it's do I want a long range EV or not. if they wanted a long range EV they were getting a Tesla, then BOOM all of a sudden they're grouped into Tesla's "competition"

The exact same thing is happening now, if you want a long range EV you have the Bolt, more recently the bigger Leaf, and Tesla. If you want a Tesla long range vehicle you're no longer forced into the S/X you can choose from the 3. So if someone's only goal is a long range EV then why buy an S when you can get a 3? It was never that the S/X was selling because every Audi A7 buyer jumped ship, it was selling because people wanted a long range EV, now, the S/X aren't the only options.

The average annual income of a Model X owner is around $500,000 or more as I recall.
Fair to see that as "the 1%". THAT's the only thing most people associate with Tesla.
And people wonder why their Teslas get vandalized? Lucky not to have your head on a pike.

That and Elon Musk being "kooky" and not "real world", not delivering. The stock is down.

yet

Model 3 is SEXY POWERFUL ELECTRIC NON-POLUTING, starting at $35k.
A great American car for the 99%, for the rest of us ... ;-)
A few million to get that across before The Others, it's a drop in the bucket.
Innovation = new century jobs. Export cars to China not jobs. American manufacturing.
Norway knows American cars. Yadda Yadda.

We'll see next quarter what happens. I do think Model 3 is heavily stealing S/X sales. I imagine there is some time to retool models for significant design changes- do you think there would be 0 impact of doing that?

Impact lessened as most sales were pulled forward before the tax cliff. The retooling timing works out with the sagging demand as well as the cars in inventory. There was no wait for S in the quarter as I found out. Plenty of inventory to pick from.

Last edited: