Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steel body complaints

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Naysayers of the Model 3 are staying away because of the heavy steel body. Aren't most mercedes and bmw and audis all steel body? I think prius and volt are all steel as well. I think only higher end cars like aston martin and ferrari are aluminum, which is why they cost so much more.

Ford F150 is now aluminum and I believe most BMW's are aluminum. It's pretty common today. Part cost isn't as much a factor with aluminum anymore, but the tooling is much more expensive and takes longer to develop/build. But I don't see necessarily as a negative for the Model 3.

Ford F150 is now aluminum and I believe most BMW's are aluminum. It's pretty common today. Part cost isn't as much a factor with aluminum anymore, but the tooling is much more expensive and takes longer to develop/build. But I don't see necessarily as a negative for the Model 3.
Most cars nowadays are "hybrid" with combination of steel and aluminium. Vast majority of them has a lot more steel than aluminium. All-aluminium cars are still very rare.

There was some commentary on that in Another test ride - Motor Trend but quite unspecific. Apparently it's a mix, with a slight majority of steel, as I understood it.
Yes, like they have said a few times. I was mainly wondering about the body panels for cost of repairs for small scratches dents. Like the Model S when they're trying to charge 15 grand for a rear quarter panel repair.

It has also been said that steel has different crumple properties from aluminum, and was necessary to improve frontal crash test ratings given a smaller front crumple zone and the fact that the front seat passengers are placed a good bit closer to the front of the interior.

To the extent that your premise is correct: that naysayers are staying away....I don't believe I'm going out on a very brittle limb to suggest that many naysayers are searching for reasons to justify their saynays. Those same persons would have chimed in had Tesla revealed that the Model 3 was all steel, or all aluminum.

Now, during the ride clips that were posted during the Model 3 reveal, we heard that the Model 3 was a mix of both - there was zero specific commentary regarding how much of the body and how much of the frame/chassis was either. Each has its benefits and detractions: challenges to production, to compatibility with each other, to costs - both upfront and over the long term, to weight, to durability under variety of circumstances, to repairs....

I believe that your premise is flawed, which means no correct response directly can be made.

Reactions: scaesare
I would take steel over aluminum any days. Steel is cheaper to repair, harder to break, cheaper car to buy, easier to produce. And hey, for those who are living in bad neighborhood, steel car is much better bullet proof than aluminum car.