Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taking Freeway Exits with Update 8.0 on AP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After I got the major 8.0 software update, I noticed in Tesla's email/update that cars in AP mode should be able to take freeway exits. It's supposed to do it automatically from the nav's directions or with flipping the turn signal.

Can anyone confirm this?

While Elon tweeted that the car would be able to take freeway exits via turn signal in 8.0 and automatically based on navigation in 8.1, he did not say what release of 8.0 or 8.1 would contain those features.

As of the currently released 8.0 build (2.36.108), the release notes do not mention either feature, so I'd say that these features are not yet implemented in any form. I would not trust the car to navigate an exit at this point until the release notes say it's supported.

After I got the major 8.0 software update, I noticed in Tesla's email/update that cars in AP mode should be able to take freeway exits. It's supposed to do it automatically from the nav's directions or with flipping the turn signal.

Can anyone confirm this?
I can't confirm this and I don't think that the nav and AP system have any sort of interaction.
I almost always shut the AP down when making exits.

A quote from the latest edition I have of the Model S Owner's manual which I find on My Tesla (page 69) under the heading of Traffic-Aware Cruise Control and has been there, at least, since 7.1 - maybe before.....

"In right hand traffic, engaging the right turn signal when driving in the right-most lane within 164 feet (50 meters) of an exit (on a restricted access road only, such as a highway or freeway), causes Traffic-Aware Cruise Control to assume you are exiting. As a result, Traffic c-Aware Cruise Control begins to slow down the vehicle. Likewise in left hand traffic, when engaging the left turn signal when driving in the left-most lane within 164 feet (50 meters) of an exit. The onboard GPS (Global Positioning System) determines if you are driving in a region with right or left hand traffic. In situations where GPS data is unavailable (for example, inadequate signal), engaging the turn signal near an exit does not cause Traffic-Aware Cruise Control to slow down the vehicle. "

So it's under TACC, not Auto Steering. I recall that it worked, but had a problem when you tried to use it to change from one highway to another as it assumed you wanted to slow down, when, under that condition you wanted to maintain your speed since you were still on the highway and not an exit.

Reactions: ssrajputev
While Elon tweeted that the car would be able to take freeway exits via turn signal in 8.0 and automatically based on navigation in 8.1, he did not say what release of 8.0 or 8.1 would contain those features.

As of the currently released 8.0 build (2.36.108), the release notes do not mention either feature, so I'd say that these features are not yet implemented in any form. I would not trust the car to navigate an exit at this point until the release notes say it's supported.

That makes sense. I looked it up and couldn't find this specific info in my release notes or the email Tesla sent out last week about the update. I think I read an Electrek article and thought it was activated already.

Tesla Autopilot with new v8.0 software update is able to handle highway interchanges

A quote from the latest edition I have of the Model S Owner's manual which I find on My Tesla (page 69) under the heading of Traffic-Aware Cruise Control and has been there, at least, since 7.1 - maybe before.....

"In right hand traffic, engaging the right turn signal when driving in the right-most lane within 164 feet (50 meters) of an exit (on a restricted access road only, such as a highway or freeway), causes Traffic-Aware Cruise Control to assume you are exiting. As a result, Traffic c-Aware Cruise Control begins to slow down the vehicle. Likewise in left hand traffic, when engaging the left turn signal when driving in the left-most lane within 164 feet (50 meters) of an exit. The onboard GPS (Global Positioning System) determines if you are driving in a region with right or left hand traffic. In situations where GPS data is unavailable (for example, inadequate signal), engaging the turn signal near an exit does not cause Traffic-Aware Cruise Control to slow down the vehicle. "

So it's under TACC, not Auto Steering. I recall that it worked, but had a problem when you tried to use it to change from one highway to another as it assumed you wanted to slow down, when, under that condition you wanted to maintain your speed since you were still on the highway and not an exit.

That's true. I tried to take an exit this morning. There was some traffic heading into the exit, so I was only going about 40 MPH, instead of the usual 65. I think because the exit lane was already clearly marked, the car steered to the right and took the exit, as if it was just a regular curve in the road.

Another Tesla owner published a video of his car doing this:

Then it's not Auto Pilot :)
It's a gimmick that's not ready to be rolled out to the public !!
It is not a gimmick.

Autopilot is named after and operates like...well, autopilot. Aircraft pilots don't turn on autopilot and go to sleep. They still have to monitor many things while the computer handles some of the brainless tasks. I bet it's been said 100,000 in this forum: autopilot =/= autonomous.