Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TEG to power electric cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vfx

Aug 18, 2006
CA CA
Not that TEG

Body powered circuits developed by Fraunhofer Institute

md08_fo1g_tcm6-82662.jpg

Cars will be next!

Last edited:
Electricity from body heat. I always thought the idea was silly. Much more plausible to think the machines used the computational capacity of the networked human brains. A rootkit installed in the wetware.

Which pill was which, again?

Take any digital multimeter, set it to the most sensitive range, and hold one probe with each hand. You'll see that your body does generate electricity, but the amount is so minuscule that any circuit that can run from that power would have to be extremely low-energy and efficient. Maybe a watch or a smart card or something similar might stand a chance.

So far TEG's from exhaust gasses (around 700 degrees Celsius) could only do get 300-400W or half a horsepower tops.

Reportedly (but again not confirmed by the website information), the Model S will be powered by a water cooled 300 hp (220 kw) electric motor with 400ft/lb (541 Nm) from zero rpm.

Big assumptions made here, don't nitpick me on this one:

With 90% efficiency, that would mean the thermal power is around 24 kW at full throttle. If a Seebeck TEG could do 15% efficiency (assuming all power gets to the TEG magically) you would have 3.6kW of power. This of course, is no number to expect, rather somewhere in the 500-1000W zone (still sounds optimistic). At normal speeds, it would most certainly not pay back the investment.

While I am positive Rankine cycle could be used successfully to assist ICE's, on electric cars we still have a long way to go before TEG's are to become interesting.

[[[ Warning - new Star Trek movie spoilers in this clip. Don't watch it if you haven't seen the movie yet. ]]]

Check the computer screen at 1:19:

Last edited by a moderator: