Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla ADAS Incident Reports

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm starting this thread to analyze incident reports that Tesla files with NHTSA regarding crashes involving cars that might be related to FSD or AP or NOA. Note that Tesla has to report any incidence where the crash happens even if AP/FSD/NOA was engaged within 30 seconds prior to the crash.

Here is the NHTSA site where you can see details about the report and download the data. The data is for all OEMs.

Data sheet, 2022 : https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/ffdd/sgo-2021-01/SGO-2021-01_Incident_Reports_ADAS.csv

Data Definitions : https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/ffdd/sgo-2021-01/SGO-2021-01_Data_Element_Definitions.pdf

Tesla withholds a large number of data in the fields as "[REDACTED, MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL BUSINESS INFORMATION]". Still there are a lot of useful fields for analysis. We can use these fields to try to figure out how many crashes are AP/NOA and how many are FSDb, which is my first objective.

For eg. below I've a pivot table by "Roadway Type". Yellow is clearly AP/NOA, Green is FSD and the other two could be mixed.

1674936307508.png

Here is the breakdown by posted speed limit. Again we can assume anything below 60 is FSDb (though there are edge cases).

1674936455065.png

So, you can't use you phone as a passenger on a plane/train/bus/boat/ferry/etc., in a taxi/Uber/Lyft, etc. That would never happen.
Plane/train/boat/ferry are easy to exclude. Buses may require BT transmitters. Taxi is easy through the Uber/Lyft app. It is not happening because of the lack of political will and because this would lead to fewer adds shoveled to your brain when driving and riding, not because of technical inability to implement the changes.

Reactions: legendsk
There goes your simple just a software update solution, now you have to retrofit every bus in the world?

What about normal taxis where you don't use an app? What about passengers in private vehicles?
Passengers in private vehicles with phones IS a common distraction factor. "Look honey what I found on Amazon!" "Oh, s$it!"
You know, it's okay. We lived perfectly fine traveling without the phones or the internet just some 25 years ago.

Passengers in private vehicles with phones IS a common distraction factor. "Look honey what I found on Amazon!" "Oh, s$it!"
You know, it's okay. We lived perfectly fine traveling without the phones or the internet just some 25 years ago.
Yes but we were less stupid then. Currently 42% of us can't find our way home without a gps. If that reaches 100% before Elon colonizes Mars, humanity is surely finished.