Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla showing how much more expensive they are compared to a petrol equivalent.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you charge mainly at home, so do not have expensive monthly charging card to benefit from discounted kwh prices, using public chargers when going for example on vacations make the EV more expensive compared with most ICE cars.
Paying 0.79 euro CT per KWH make the per km price higher compared with my second workhorse. A Ford Explorer.......
I think the public chargers must be more regulated, no reason to triple the kwh price compared with home.

that is quite low. I do ~ 150 miles with 50% battery...
it will be mainly due to the wheels i have i would imagine, i have large/wide aftermarket wheels.

i average around 300wpm, i didnt buy it or drive it for efficiency, it was purely for tax reason.

so not really fussed, i would of got the performance, but didnt see the benefit if i was going to replace the wheels anyway.

The only way would be to measure the total fills vs the total mileage. The trip computers are all a bit bogus
I did exactly that with my final ICE car, over a period of 4 years. It was a Skoda Octavia vRS diesel, so a 2.0 TDi auto & of course not really comparable to a M3. Its overall average was 34.73 MPG. The computer always reported low- to mid-40s, which was why I recorded the data myself to see how far out it was.

For my M3LR my gross comsumption, according to TeslaMate, is 330 Wh/mi. So that would be the figure most comparable to my diesel log for the sake of this discussion. Net consumption reported by the car is a worthless figure to me, I'd rather look at total gross cost including charging losses.

With today's diesel at 165p (average in my area I think) - 21.56p per mile
With my home electricity tarriff averaging 26.53p - 8.75p per mile
If I manage my charging more actively (which I do), the average is probably closer to 20p at a guess, which would be 6.6p per mile

I try not to think about it too much, but my tariff was 5p overnight until last week, which was 1.65p per mile...!
(Agile average price is 26.53/KWh for March so far last time I checked)

Reactions: Sean.
could be.

what wheels you got and what speed are you cruising at?

I always go 72 mph on AP while on motorway. I am still faster than at least 2 lanes on motorway. and it takes 50% with 18" aero wheels (no covers)
I did a 300 mile round trip to London at the weekend. I also had my AP set to 72 but the parts of the journey where I could actually do 72 seemed few and far between.

i have 20" vossen hf2's. 275 rear 245 front.

i've only driven the car 20 miles on the 19" option wheels before putting these on. I may change back to standard at some point, but no offense to anyone the teslas are bloody common round me and i recon i see 10-15 on my 7 mile drive to the office, so trying to make mine a little different is far more important than range.

i have 20" vossen hf2's. 275 rear 245 front.

i've only driven the car 20 miles on the 19" option wheels before putting these on. I may change back to standard at some point, but no offense to anyone the teslas are bloody common round me and i recon i see 10-15 on my 7 mile drive to the office, so trying to make mine a little different is far more important than range.
post your tesla pics! :)