Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don’t want Elon to go as CEO, and I think the odds of that happening are low (barring a full Elon meltdown). Without Elon we wouldn’t have the wild ass bets currently underway at Tesla that are poised for huge payoffs eventually (hopefully).

I do however want him to stop doing the things that in my opinion are destroying his own personal brand, and by extension the Tesla brand (we know others here disagree with this opinion, and I again agree to disagree with your opinion as you do with mine).

Some members on here saying stop our bellyaching as it wont lead to anything, but now that more visible long term Tesla bulls (the kind Elon sees online) have started calling him out on the exact same thing - Elon is responding. He isnt responding well yet, but it now is on his radar taking up some mind cycles, and we will see how that shakes out soon I imagine.

Seeing some of his formerly biggest fans/defenders on Wall Street now calling for the board to reign him in (or outright remove him as CEO) hoepfully leads to some introspection for Elon.

Great post. $TSLA has historically traded at a premium as we benefited from the Musk premium. Is that the case anymore? His presence has positives of course and some bet on the company's growth because of him. But now he has revealed many negatives. What is the net effect? Premium or not, he has displayed faulty judgement, untruthfulness, and embrace of specious reasoning in various realms in the last 12 months. That kind of mind should not be making decisions for Tesla even if it means that some misguided investors who are betting big on Elon's moonshot visions for Tesla.

But to your point about at least some of this attention is getting to Elon. That is true. But I don't think it is enough. Why did he offer to step down from Twitter this weekend? I think it is because he lost the support of Paul Graham. He respects him and I think it caught him off guard. He doesn't respect the shareholders who have been voicing their concern....See the dismissive response to Ross Gerber or blocking uncle Leo. He doesn't even seem to see the problem. He is sticking to the belief that this is entirely Fed related. As a prominent TMC said, that is pure gaslighting. He needs a *much* stronger 'forcing function' to make a change. Even then, it doesn't seem he is doing much introspection these days.

Someone is going to be unhappy when the Q4 earnings call rolls around.

This coming earnings call is way too important for Musk to sit it out.
  • Musk wants to smell burnt short hairs.
  • Musk needs to demonstrate he is still at the helm at Tesla.
  • Cybertruck is just ripening and it is his baby.
  • It's the year end call, just in general he should be there for year end review.

Do you really think there is any chance he sits it out? If Tesla is doing well, Musk will want to be there to enjoy his victory dance. If they are doing poorly, it's even more important he's there to prevent a landslide.
My logic here is simple.

If there is a huge miss he better be there to explain how things will get back on track, if there is a beat I am ok if he sits it out as long as guidance is still 50%.

Elon (and we) laugh at this at the moment but there's enough volume here in the past few weeks to where big positions could be being made...big enough to have real input on the board and the way Tesla is run.

I'd put the odds of Elon being ousted as CEO as material at this point 🤷‍♂️

I would set the odds to something like 9999, or higher.
You forget Tesla`s market cap, and how much cash it takes to get a big enough bite of the Tesla cake.
Only a handful can afford it, even with help from others. Bill Gates maybe, Bezos.. and people with that amount of money.

David Gilmour singing.

Screen Shot 2022-12-20 at 4.02.16 PM.png

UK new incentive today:
"Take delivery before December 31, 2022 to receive 6,000 miles of free Supercharging"

Inventory of model 3&Y combined has dropped from around 300+ before the weekend to around 150 ish. We've just had a ship or 2 drop off thousands.

View attachment 886750

UPDATE: 1.5 days later, inventory is down to 85 model 3&Y combined for whole of UK. So they are definitely getting bought up!
This is a small market sure, but Tesla is very popular here. Every little helps Q4!

Last Friday: 300+
Monday: 150
Tuesday: 85

So you are saying the massive positive increase in Tesla’s financial fundamentals since 2020 (revenue, net income, unit volume) - far exceeding that of Apple and the SPY - had nothing to do with the massive TSLA share price increase? It was all due to the fed?

Profits came later. It was mostly hype. And a new generation of "investors", all hit at the same time. The latters somewhat low competence on earnings and market caps etc., made Tesla`s MC way too high.
And I hear no good arguments as to why the price should go back up again (300+) the next 3-4 years.

Someone is going to be unhappy when the Q4 earnings call rolls around.

This coming earnings call is way too important for Musk to sit it out.
  • Musk wants to smell burnt short hairs.
  • Musk needs to demonstrate he is still at the helm at Tesla.
  • Cybertruck is just ripening and it is his baby.
  • It's the year end call, just in general he should be there for year end review.

Do you really think there is any chance he sits it out? If Tesla is doing well, Musk will want to be there to enjoy his victory dance. If they are doing poorly, it's even more important he's there to prevent a landslide.
It would be best if he stayed away. The sooner we can disassociate Elon Musk with Tesla the faster the damage to the brand can be repaired.

Jmho.

3 days they say

How come do you still have free cash in this kind of environment?!? What are you, 90 or something? :)

Eh, nothing that odd. I did sell a bunch of Amazon recently just before it fell like a rock (and thanked this forum for that idea!), and am going to sell some stock losers (which if I had half a brain I would have sold much earlier) to partially offset my tax gain from Amazon. Sometimes it is good to be slow when reinvesting!

Never mind Ross, now Dave Lee is feed up with Elon. Let's see how long it takes Elon to turn on him.
In fairness, Dave Lee can be quite annoying. When he gets a thought, he's like a dog with a bone and just goes off on it with zero filters.

I like some of his content, but he is in desperate need of an editor.

Profits came later. It was mostly hype. And a new generation of "investors", all hit at the same time. The latters somewhat low competence on earnings and market caps etc., made Tesla`s MC way too high.
And I hear no good arguments as to why the price should go back up again (300+) the next 3-4 years.
40% yoy growth for 3 years is 2.744 * $138=$378
21.5% yoy growth for 4 years is $300

Alright just threw another $100k in. I haven’t been paying much attention to Tesla news. Is there a demand problem that someone knows and we don’t? I just don’t understand how the forward P/E could get this low. I seriously hope these TSLA “influencers” don’t pressure Elon into making a poll asking if he should step down from Tesla. That is my only concern. Everything else will pass.
Biggest factor to all this besides the macro is Elon`s behavior.

It makes investors unsure, how much it will affect Tesla, both long-term and mid-term.

In fairness, Dave Lee can be quite annoying. When he gets a thought, he's like a dog with a bone and just goes off on it with zero filters.

I like some of his content, but he is in desperate need of an editor.
I agree, I think he has good intentions however. We know Elon is never annoying:)