Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The anti-Tesla EV lovers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rhetoric is on my list but all the other things are at the top of my list and they are important. At this point I can no longer trust he will steward the company to success. A company is only as good as its management and they are all going leaving him alone to do things like gut the supercharger team.

We have already seen what he did to Twitter.

I guess in my mind, the two (his leadership and his social/political opinions) aren’t really related. Concerns about his leadership seem valid to me since we’re relying on Tesla for software updates, service and parts.

I just don’t see why Musk’s opinion on birth control or transgender rights (or whatever new thing we’re supposed to be upset with him about) would inform my decision to purchase something from Tesla. As far as I can tell, Tesla isn’t adopting the stuff he randomly tweets into their mission and purpose statement, so what he tweets (regardless of if I agree with it or not) isn’t going to matter if/when I decide to buy another car.

I just don’t see why Musk’s opinion on birth control or transgender rights (or whatever new thing we’re supposed to be upset with him about) would inform my decision to purchase something from Tesla. As far as I can tell, Tesla isn’t adopting the stuff he randomly tweets into their mission and purpose statement, so what he tweets (regardless of if I agree with it or not) isn’t going to matter if/when I decide to buy another car.
That’s up to you and your own personal principles/morals. There’s no right answer.

But supporting Tesla is basically supporting him and allows him to keep doing what he’s doing. The better Tesla does (or his other companies) the richer he gets. Just like some people avoid Chick-fil-A for the owners anti-LGBTQ stance. Or people boycotting various major corporations currently due to their stance on Israel/Palestine. Or some people will not live in or travel to a state that doesn’t align with their politics or morals (eg abortion laws/bans). Etc etc.

I guess in my mind, the two (his leadership and his social/political opinions) aren’t really related. Concerns about his leadership seem valid to me since we’re relying on Tesla for software updates, service and parts.

Factually thats a true statement but I don't believe his brain works in an isolated fashion where he be nuts and one side and make sound business decisions on the other side. When you are in business you have to work with people and negotiate. He prefers to be as his politics seem to indicate authoritarian.
It has been shown that those people who disagree with him on pretty much anything get shown the door.

That is very different than when he claimed that twitter should embrace all voices.

That’s up to you and your own personal principles/morals. There’s no right answer.

But supporting Tesla is basically supporting him and allows him to keep doing what he’s doing. The better Tesla does (or his other companies) the richer he gets. Just like some people avoid Chick-fil-A for the owners anti-LGBTQ stance. Or people boycotting various major corporations currently due to their stance on Israel/Palestine. Or some people will not live in or travel to a state that doesn’t align with their politics or morals (eg abortion laws/bans). Etc etc.
To each their own. I get why people say they’re doing these types of things, I just don’t see the point if they can’t apply those principles consistently, and they can’t.

If someone doesn’t want to buy a Tesla because of Musk’s stance on LGBTQ, that’s perfectly fine. But a lot of those people are going to buy a BMW or Audi and consistently fill it with gas refined in a country lead by people that really hate LGBTQ folks.

Obviously that’s just one example, but it’s just how things work in a global consumer economy. It’s not possible to avoid buying things from companies lead by people you don’t agree with. Again, people are free to do whatever they want with their money. I’m just pointing out the inconsistency in the reasoning behind that type of choice.

Reactions: Dayreg
Factually thats a true statement but I don't believe his brain works in an isolated fashion where he be nuts and one side and make sound business decisions on the other side. When you are in business you have to work with people and negotiate. He prefers to be as his politics seem to indicate authoritarian.
It has been shown that those people who disagree with him on pretty much anything get shown the door.

That is very different than when he claimed that twitter should embrace all voices.

I might be in over my skis a little bit here (I don’t follow everything he says), but I haven’t seen anything that indicates that his politics lean authoritarian. I do know he’s very pro-free speech, which is definitely not an authoritarian trait.

But, for the sake of discussion, even if he was, I think he could hold the exact opposite opinions and still be a poor leader or even authoritarian.

I might be in over my skis a little bit here (I don’t follow everything he says), but I haven’t seen anything that indicates that his politics lean authoritarian. I do know he’s very pro-free speech, which is definitely not an authoritarian trait.

But, for the sake of discussion, even if he was, I think he could hold the exact opposite opinions and still be a poor leader or even authoritarian.
It was reported that he fired the entire supercharger team because the VP did not want to layoff the original numbers. That seems pretty much my way or the highway.

And what affiliation would that be?

He supported Obama in both 2008 and 2012 elections.
He voted for Hillary Clinton in the 2016 election.
He said he voted for Bidden in 2020.
In 2022, he said he would start voting for the Republican Party.
This year, he supported Vivek Ramaswamy in the 2024 Republican presidential primaries.

His current position is on the X:

• Informative
Reactions: SO16 and E90alex
To each their own. I get why people say they’re doing these types of things, I just don’t see the point if they can’t apply those principles consistently, and they can’t.

If someone doesn’t want to buy a Tesla because of Musk’s stance on LGBTQ, that’s perfectly fine. But a lot of those people are going to buy a BMW or Audi and consistently fill it with gas refined in a country lead by people that really hate LGBTQ folks.

Obviously that’s just one example, but it’s just how things work in a global consumer economy. It’s not possible to avoid buying things from companies lead by people you don’t agree with. Again, people are free to do whatever they want with their money. I’m just pointing out the inconsistency in the reasoning behind that type of choice.
That’s absolutely true. If you dig deep and far enough you will find someone in any company or along supply chain that you disagree with.

But with the CEO being so very publicly loud and proud about his direct stance on everything, it’s pretty easy for people to make that decision as all the cards are on the table.

Authoritarian - anti government. Pay no attention to the people below me (at least those that are left). Ignoring all that just look at his behaviors beyond his crazy tweets.
I don’t think that’s what authoritarian means.

From google:

adjective

1. favoring or enforcing strict obedience to authority, especially that of the government, at the expense of personal freedom.
    "the transition from an authoritarian to a democratic regime"

He might be a “my way or the highway” manager, but that doesn’t mean he has authoritarian political views. Like I said a few posts ago, these are two different things.

Reactions: alexgr
That’s absolutely true. If you dig deep and far enough you will find someone in any company or along supply chain that you disagree with.

But with the CEO being so very publicly loud and proud about his direct stance on everything, it’s pretty easy for people to make that decision as all the cards are on the table.

Fair enough. I can see how people I’ll choose to act against the most visible object, low hanging fruit I guess.

I don’t think that’s what authoritarian means.

From google:

adjective

1. favoring or enforcing strict obedience to authority, especially that of the government, at the expense of personal freedom.
    "the transition from an authoritarian to a democratic regime"

He might be a “my way or the highway” manager, but that doesn’t mean he has authoritarian political views. Like I said a few posts ago, these are two different things.
Politics is not always about a government entity as you have stated. It can also be how you run a company. A company is just a smaller population sample.
The expense of personal freedom maybe not being able to publicly disagree with the leader as one example. Tesla may have a board so far he runs the show.

I can think of very few occasions where he was beholden to anybody. Twitter did not used to be that way.

Reactions: mborkow
You are 1000% correct, but there are people that actually cite Musk’s rhetoric as a reason they wouldn’t buy a Tesla.

You’ve illustrated perfectly why this is a ridiculous thing to do, but people are doing it.

china today is not the china of yore... china today must be dealt with... the govt there is an absolute threat to usa interest... owise china could be like taiwan or singapore... very nice places to work with...

He supported Obama in both 2008 and 2012 elections.
He voted for Hillary Clinton in the 2016 election.
He said he voted for Bidden in 2020.
In 2022, he said he would start voting for the Republican Party.
This year, he supported Vivek Ramaswamy in the 2024 Republican presidential primaries.

His current position is on the X:

Isn't that the kind of thinking that puts DJT in the hot-seat? There ends the USA, NATO and probably most of Western Europe! From where I'm sitting, at least Biden is a politician and he has Policies. Like them or loath them. DJT is neither a politician nor does he have Policies. Voting for a Slogan, particularly an ill considered one, is taking America and the West in only one direction! DJT won't care of course as he will just get significantly richer. MAGA is the laughing stock of the world and Putin, Xi, Kim et al are rubbing their hands in excited expectation of a Western world under DJT.

Reactions: israndy
Just like some people avoid Chick-fil-A for the owners anti-LGBTQ stance. Or some people will not live in or travel to a state that doesn’t align with their politics or morals (eg abortion laws/bans). Etc etc.
You forgot Hobby Lobby.

I was raised in the church and don’t remember ever hearing politics from the pulpit. I’m by no means atheist, but now I have growing distrust of the church and people who regularly attend church.

People often will confuse caring about a persons personal political views with the products they make.

Non believers in God will often be eager to have life saving emergency surgery performed on them, even if the surgeon is religous.

Much of the hatred towards Musk is ginned up by writers with a political agenda to hurt his company.

People often will confuse caring about a persons personal political views with the products they make.

Non believers in God will often be eager to have life saving emergency surgery performed on them, even if the surgeon is religous.

Much of the hatred towards Musk is ginned up by writers with a political agenda to hurt his company.

No it's the decisions HE is making on the cars. He is taking away stuff I want which we have already listed. He is firing talent. He is focusing on things people don't want.

Reactions: cwerdna
No it's the decisions HE is making on the cars. He is taking away stuff I want which we have already listed. He is firing talent. He is focusing on things people don't want.
Could always start your own car company and build what You want? Haven’t seen a gun to head threat if you didn’t buy a car so find one that upsets you less. Nobody has to agree with Anything they don’t like or agree with nor do they have to support it. Complaining because it’s not the way You would do it is foolish. They have a business plan and a road map, maybe your not on it?