Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS on non factory wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the fault does not clear in the next few drives I will try one more thing, re mounting the 21" Uberturbines with the factory TPMS

I have my doubts it will fix the problem but if it does I will order some Certified OEM units for the other tires /wheels.

Not a fan of harsh riding rubber band tires and heavy wheels. Again the non factory 18's have worked fine for several months.

ps. the TPMS sensors came from a company called Just OEM wheels. If I did not know better would say they are take offs.

Converts in back of envelope in head style very close to the price here. So yeah, fakers they must be.
If the fault does not clear in the next few drives I will try one more thing, re mounting the 21" Uberturbines with the factory TPMS

I have my doubts it will fix the problem but if it does I will order some Certified OEM units for the other tires /wheels.

Not a fan of harsh riding rubber band tires and heavy wheels. Again the non factory 18's have worked fine for several months.

ps. the TPMS sensors came from a company called Just OEM wheels. If I did not know better would say they are take offs.
Some fake products are designed to look exactly like OEM. Similarly, some products are made in the same way, or even on same production lines OEM are, but just unbranded. There may be some reason or another why it isn't sold as branded though.

Anyway, I can't say for certain they are fake or not. And in fact, it could be a legit TPMS that just happened to fail or glitch out. And even that is just a possibility, since the problem (not symptom) hasn't been determined yet.

Reactions: Skavatar
Why not just run at 38-39 PSI and be done with it. I am running similar to your set up, right now 235/55-18 front and 255/55-18 rear tires
On a cold morning they are at 38-39 PSI and when warm 40-41.
Never gotten a low pressure alert.
Getting some better watt hour numbers than the 21's, improved ride, as well as better on center feel and they are quieter. I will be watching the wear patterns as well. The tires I bought are rated to 51 PSI.

Are you wanting to run the lower pressure to further soften the ride?
What tires are you running?

Some fake products are designed to look exactly like OEM. Similarly, some products are made in the same way, or even on same production lines OEM are, but just unbranded. There may be some reason or another why it isn't sold as branded though.

Anyway, I can't say for certain they are fake or not. And in fact, it could be a legit TPMS that just happened to fail or glitch out. And even that is just a possibility, since the problem (not symptom) hasn't been determined yet.
You were right.

Whatever the problem is..... it is with the non directly from Tesla sensors.

I put the 3 factory uber 21's back on and reinstalled the one factory sensor i had installed on the 18 s back on the front uber wheel tire, as soon as the car hit about 40 MPH the fault cleared and since I put each tire dead on 41psi they all came up dead on as well.

No need to have Tesla fixing a problem I created.

Unfortunately

I got rear ended by a young driver yesterday and will at a minimum need the black plastic valence replaced and I don't trust a non Tesla place to check for damage. I had the car on my lift and could not find anything that remotely looks damaged but want Tesla to check it out anyway.

I may see about getting a hitch installed if they are going to pull the rear bumper anyway.

you can get the same (or higher) load rating on an SL tire if it has more volume than an XL tire

e.g. a stock 255/55/19 XL has load index of 104 (1984 lbs)
but a 245/60/18 SL has load index of 105 (2039 lbs)
Interesting. My goto tyre guy is all about the sidewall being tough enough to keep the tyre in shape as you throw 2.5T of battery, 6" off the ground, around bends. With the low C.O.G the tyres feel the loads far more than you notice while snug in your sports seat with relatively low body roll.

got rear ended by a young driver yesterday
How? Basic inattention has tagged me twice, cellphones I think.

Lately with my airport run I noticed way far fewer tailgaters. People getting right up in my rear view and then backing way off. I sussed that the regen braking gives them the willies and they back off all by themselves.

So now I set cruise at just below the traffic speed and happily gently bounce up and down on throttle/regen.

It costs a little in battery but it's worth it for the saving in aggro.

Having been smashed twice I am highly allergic to tailgaters. Monitoring 5 cars up ahead, the car in front, as well as the ahole behind doesn't leave brain space for talking to customers.

Reactions: 455dan
How? Basic inattention has tagged me twice, cellphones I think.

Lately with my airport run I noticed way far fewer tailgaters. People getting right up in my rear view and then backing way off. I sussed that the regen braking gives them the willies and they back off all by themselves.

So now I set cruise at just below the traffic speed and happily gently bounce up and down on throttle/regen.

It costs a little in battery but it's worth it for the saving in aggro.

Having been smashed twice I am highly allergic to tailgaters. Monitoring 5 cars up ahead, the car in front, as well as the ahole behind doesn't leave brain space for talking to customers.
I was in a turn lane stopped behind two other vehicles waiting for the light change . Young girl driving a mini Cooper got in the turn lane and never slowed to a stop, she whipped the wheel to the right and seemed to slow just before her bumper hit right on the little round cover for the towing eyelet. I had my foot on the brake so we never moved. It felt like a strong hit though, her headlight partially detached and damaged her bumper and the rear black valance on the MYP.

No one was hurt, but bummed because this is the only 'Brand new' car I have ever owned and it had only rolled up 8k miles. She had insurance and I showed the rear camera footage to the police officer and he used his body cam to record it for the report and record. 100% her fault as a new driver.

I am thinking of asking for something for diminished value since it is now a reported accident. No paint was damaged but the left rear bumper alignment is just a hair off. The tailgate was also closer to the left side until it was opened and closed once.