Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9: cars invisible when directly to the side

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After taking my first drive with V9 over the weekend, I noticed that cars which are directly next to me seem to be in a camera/sensor blind spot and disappear from the 360 view in the dash. Is this a problem with my car's cameras/sensors, or is this working as intended?

I probably need to make a short video clip. But as best as I can explain it, it seems to happen most when overtaking speed is very low. The car to the side will disappear for a while, which is inversely proportional to the rate of overtaking. Eg, it will see a car to might front right, I will slowly over take. As I pull next to it, the car will "disapppear". Then as I continue to overtake, it will re-appear slightly behind me. I noticed this several times as I slowly overtook and was overtaken in congested traffic. Its like a car passed into a blind spot between the cameras and then the AI "forgot" about it until it passed out of the blind spot and was noticed again.

I noticed the same thing. It's almost like it looses track of the cars when they pass from one camera to another. Also, I think calling it a 360 view isn't accurate, as it doesn't show any cars directly behind you....

Reactions: spectrum
I noticed the same thing. It's almost like it looses track of the cars when they pass from one camera to another. Also, I think calling it a 360 view isn't accurate, as it doesn't show any cars directly behind you....

I've seen cars directly behind me when stopped at a signal. I remember thinking the view was wild, since it looked like a big truck was sitting inside/on-top of a small one. I got a good look in my mirror, and the representation was reasonably accurate: it was an economy car directly behind me, with a huge monster-truck 4x4 2" from his rear bumper.. Not sure I could have represented it better in the space available..

• Funny
Reactions: spectrum
Yes same thing happens to me. Cars disappear when they get roughly in line with the door mirrors. Also car movement in the display seems to be very erratic when positioned to the side of you, the other vehicle graphics jump in and out of your lane.

Yes same thing happens to me. Cars disappear when they get roughly in line with the door mirrors. Also car movement in the display seems to be very erratic when positioned to the side of you, the other vehicle graphics jump in and out of your lane.

I don't remember seeing cars completely disappear, but they did lots of Nightcrawler's short range teleports. Forward, backward, side to side. It is like the graphics are purely based on cameras alone without any common sense logic in the algorithm. Logic would say that a motorcycle cannot transform into a car and back, or a Semi cannot morph into 2 and combine back into 1, but apparently Version 9 watched too many Transformers movies. :D

• Funny
Reactions: croman and mxnym
ogic would say that a motorcycle cannot transform into a car and back, or a Semi cannot morph into 2 and combine back into 1, but apparently Version 9 watched too many Transformers movies. :D
It really seems to have a hard time positioning semis - jumping all over the place, splitting into 2 semis then merging back or overlapping with the display of my own car.

I haven't received V9 yet (AP2), but this old photo manipulation of mine shows pretty well what portion of the sides is covered by which camera. From the sound of it, it is the B pillar camera (top left and right corner in the photo below, the darker images coming from B pillar cameras) that is the "problem area".

Calibration or individual camera's NN issue?

ap2_blindspots-jpg.238093

I think my "invisible area" is right to the sides, a little behind the mirrors. I would think the combo of the fender cameras and the B pillar cameras would catch that. Maybe they are not using one of them? Or maybe they are angled incorrectly?

How long has each of you having problems been driving on V9? It does need to calibrate, but seems to settle out before 50 miles or so. Looked like some of the initial reports mentioned the display jumping around or not showing surrounding cars at first but working better after using it for a while.

How long has each of you having problems been driving on V9? It does need to calibrate, but seems to settle out before 50 miles or so. Looked like some of the initial reports mentioned the display jumping around or not showing surrounding cars at first but working better after using it for a while.
Over 500 miles since I had it installed it on Saturday. "Software update available" coincided with a planned short road trip on the very day, so perfect time to install and test :)

Is there any proof that it is indeed using the side/pillar cameras?

Early on with some of the beta builds people were showing only 6 camera's that were active/used, but then Elon said all 8 were used in V9.

I still haven't seen any confirmation that V9/39.6 is using the side cameras. If it was we wouldn't have cases where it's not seeing things to the side (except for low contrast situations, and anomalies).

Is there any proof that it is indeed using the side/pillar cameras?

Early on with some of the beta builds people were showing only 6 camera's that were active/used, but then Elon said all 8 were used in V9.

I still haven't seen any confirmation that V9/39.6 is using the side cameras. If it was we wouldn't have cases where it's not seeing things to the side (except for low contrast situations, and anomalies).

Mine wasn't doing very well at seeing cars and stuff to the side at first, but then it got better after 50 ish miles. It seems like there's a silent calibration period.

After calibration though it's undoubtedly seeing things from the B pillar cam.

upload_2018-10-8_15-48-31.png

In @croman's image for example there's no way the car to the immediate right is visible to the repeater cam. And it's unthinkable that the fisheye is seeing it. Maybe just a little sliver of it, but not enough to identify as a SUV.

Mine wasn't doing very well at seeing cars and stuff to the side at first, but then it got better after 50 ish miles. It seems like there's a silent calibration period.

After calibration though it's undoubtedly seeing things from the B pillar cam.

Interesting. I work out of my house, so most of my driving is on the weekends, and I've probably only got 40 miles since the update. I'll need to find an excuse to drive someplace :)

Reactions: chillaban
Interesting. I work out of my house, so most of my driving is on the weekends, and I've probably only got 40 miles since the update. I'll need to find an excuse to drive someplace :)

Mine definitely improved after 70 miles of daytime travel. The night was during rain and it was not as accurate and even forgot about a blacked out model S waiting at a red light.