Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very Difficult decision..Canceling my Sig X reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First of all, I think it's important to acknowledge that some people who really wanted to get an electric SUV from Tesla but found that this doesn't fit their needs are seriously bummed out, and understandably so. That sucks. And I would not be particularly joyful if that fit my story... and if I had parted with $40,000 for a few years or made important decisions based on expected features that changed toward the end of that time period.

But I agree that the production X is much better than the concept X to my eyes, and obviously many others'. In fact, I've never been into SUVs but actually feel compelled to consider the X (if only the wait weren't so long!), which I did not expect at all until recently. But that probably gets back to the point: this is not a conventional SUV.

And those last few words are super key, imho. Tesla, as someone noted, is a bit like a teenager (or perhaps 20-something engineer into new tech, sci-fi, and exciting stuff like wing walking). It is super idealistic, optimistic, and sometimes unrealistic. That allows it to accomplish amazing things that many "adults" would not consider. After a hugely successful Model S, how to do better? Surely, not by falling in line and offering a slightly better and faster electric SUV than others on the market. It (okay, we can say his name: Elon) wanted to "wow" again, and take the premium SUV market by storm. I think Tesla/Elon is about to do so. As others have noted extensively enough, some people care about having a ton of cargo space, but many (most?) aren't super picky about that, and the X will over-deliver for them in that category. They are looking for a cool and useful (for transporting humans) CUV, which is what this really seems to be. Meanwhile, the X:

*is the safest SUV/CUV on the planet (including having a fun and somewhat amazing bioweapons defense filter)
*is the quickest SUV/CUV on the planet
*is probably the quietest SUV/CUV on the planet
*has ridiculously awesome and useful falcon-wing doors (again, useful if your concern is the people in the back seat, not large pieces of cargo) and automatically opening driver-seat doors
*has really nice 2nd- and 3rd-row seats where passengers can stick their stuff under the seat instead of in the spot for their feet.
*has a wicked panoramic windshield that is like to "wow" as much as "Ludicrous mode"
*fights global warming, air pollution, and oil wars.

That's a freakin' grand slam+ in my book (or an insane Germany vs Brazil result for those of us who couldn't care less about baseball but love the beautiful game).

Tesla would not be here if the founders were interested in incremental improvements and doing things the way they've typically been done but with a few tweaks. Tesla is here (and successful) because it blasts through conventional wisdom and offers products that are both awesome and unique. Yes, it would be nice if Tesla learned to communicate a bit better. Yes, it would be cool if the X satisfied the desires of every SUV buyer on the planet. But I think we need to be as realistic with our expectations of Tesla as we expect it to be with other things.

Again, it really, really sucks to see some of you feeling you need to cancel, and doing so, and I hope it won't be long before Tesla has an SUV for you. I was shocked to see some of you making this decision, but we each have individual needs and base requirements, and you have been pretty clear why the X doesn't work for you.

But trying to come to a broader take on how the X turned out (as you can see, I'm long TSLA and I'm a huge EV enthusiast who wants to see this market grow exponentially), I'm quite happy. I'm a bit nervous based on the discussion here that a number of buyers will be turned off by the lack of large-item utility, but I think Tesla is likely to have more demand for the X than it can supply for a long time. This vehicle is simply amazing, and so much better than anything else on the market in so many ways.

I think one last thing should also be acknowledged, though: in many cases, the top competitor to the X is the Model S. I think we are seeing more disappointment and negativity here because the S beats the X in some ways *and* has many of the amazing benefits that the rest of the market lack, and we largely have Model S owners and lovers on this forum. This forum is not representative of the broader population, of course. Many (most?) people still don't know anything about the Model S. There are fewer things that distinguish the X from the S (and also the S from the X) than distinguish both of these vehicles from the rest of the options on the market. I think plenty of buyers looking for a great SUV/CUV are going to be hugely attracted to this.

Hope my 10 cents helps some of you in some way. But yeah, not much anyone can do to help disappointed would-be owners right now.

Last edited:
Well, my wife nor I would be considered "soccer mom/dad's" and the lack of folding is completely unnecessary for us. I can count on one hand the number of times we've folded the seats down on our vehicles over the last 5 years. And that was only because I'm currently driving a Suzuki SX4 (not much trunk space). I think the demographic is much wider than "soccer mom's" and that people who absolutely "need" folding seats are a very small minority. To be honest, the argument for folding seats being necessary reminds me of the argument people make for 100 mile EVs...in that people generally over-estimate their range requirements.

I honestly can't fathom the need for more room than you get with the current configuration, but that hardly means people don't absolutely need it. Tesla would do well to offer the option in the future.

I would need more than just one hand to count the times I've folded the seats down/up in our S and 4Runner just this summer alone. While the 4Runner has a tow hit and I do occasionally rent trailers, there are many times I just fold down the seats and load up on items, even in the S. For me, the X wouldn't work without folding second row seats. That said, I'm also not a parent with multiple kids that would deal with the regular hassle of putting in/taking out car seats.

Last edited:
I think specs apply to less than 1% of Tesla Community. Especially if primary buyers are women... they wouldn't know what to make of those numbers.

Look at their reservation page: Safety, Safety, Safety.

For example: "
  • Four LATCH child seat attachments, two in each passenger row"
I have never seen a general spec page with that information on any car. You could only find that info with all ICE cars in a manual.

LATCH is a federal requirement that has been in place since 2002. I'm glad that Tesla is proud that they are following the rules, but not sure why that's such a big deal that you are excited they are pointing it out on their website.

Why choose one over the other? Sure, there's a lot of people lined up to buy, but why not have more people? I'll never get this line of thinking that, hey don't worry it's a Tesla everyone else will want one if you don't.

Why not have the cool second row seats that the soccer moms like AND have them fold down? Seems to me that's a pretty good solution, especially when every other competitor in the segment can do this.....

I would submit that the % of people saying they have or will cancel due to the second row seats not folding like originally shown is not insignificant. I'm sure Tesla is working on a solution to capture these sales, but since they are so strong at communication we'll never know until they just "appear".

If I'm not mistaken, the argument is just that there were compromises that had to be made (no folding seats) for certain things to be in the X (several things particular to the seats they chose and the falcon-wing doors).

Regarding having two options -- these seats and ones that fold -- we're all basically blind here, but the possibilities are: 1) Tesla is planning this too, but not right from the start; 2) Tesla wasn't planning this but hopefully will based on many people wanting folding seats; 3) Tesla wasn't planning this and doesn't really care that this is a make or break for some buyers; 4) there are fundamental problems that keep folding 2nd-row seats out of the question with the FWDs. The only really strong argument I've seen regarding any of these (I think from eloder) is in support of #4. But we'll see at some point if Tesla can offer the option down the line.

I would need to more than just one hand to count the times I've folded the seats down/up in our S and 4Runner just this summer alone. While the 4Runner has a tow hit and I do occasionally rent trailers, there are many times I just fold down the seats and load up on items, even in the S. For me, the X wouldn't work without folding second row seats. That said, I'm also not a parent with multiple kids that would deal with the regular hassle of putting in/taking out car seats.

Yup, that's why I acknowledge that there are people that really need the seats to fold flat, and not just a perceive the need, it's just that I think it's a minority. The vehicle seems to be aimed at families that use car seats, and your last sentence fits our situation very well. So, the X is currently catering to families with young children, and I think there are plenty of buyers out there. Unfortunately, this bias will not work for everyone.

If it was my decision, our Model X production reservation would already be cancelled. Not because of the folding seats (which I don't care about) or falcon wing doors (which I love), but because of the overall height and size. The Model X looks like a fat Model S, not a proper-sized SUV.

What I was hoping for was an EV equivalent to the Infiniti JX (now QX60):
View attachment 96439

What I don't understand is that the Model X is about half an inch longer than the QX60, is almost five inches wider than the QX60, and is only about 4 inches shorter than the QX60. And yet the QX60 feels bigger, more comfortable for adults in the third row, and much higher off the ground for better visibility than the Model X. Why is that?

Because it has a drag coefficient of 0.24. All of the alternative vehicles being suggested are large, boxy cars with that use a lot of fuel. EVs are range-limited, so they have to cut something to hit their range goals, and what they cut is vertical size.

I too am on the fence with our reservation. We have deposits down for both an X (reservation #20x), and a Volvo XC90 T8. All reviews that are coming in on the XC90 are very good, and it recently earned the top rating in all categories by the IIHS for crash protection. Plus, the XC90 looks like it will be 30K less than the X will be equipped the way we want it. Still mulling it over.....

I love the breadth of opinion on TMC. Everyone really does have their own set of criteria. My checklist: is XC90 electric? Nope? Ancient technology, off list.

Yup, that's why I acknowledge that there are people that really need the seats to fold flat, and not just a perceive the need, it's just that I think it's a minority. The vehicle seems to be aimed at families that use car seats, and your last sentence fits our situation very well. So, the X is currently catering to families with young children, and I think there are plenty of buyers out there. Unfortunately, this bias will not work for everyone.

Yup. For my friends that have asked me about the X and whether I would trade in my S for an X, I simply explain that, to me, the X is more CUV/minivan than SUV and is targeted at the demographics (and utility) of a CUV/minivan driver. We are on the same page here.

I love the breadth of opinion on TMC. Everyone really does have their own set of criteria. My checklist: is XC90 electric? Nope? Ancient technology, off list.

Exactly. I will compromise on features or space to have electric. I will not buy gasoline or diesel for a road vehicle ever again in my entire life.

I also happen to live somewhere where electricity is almost 100% hydroelectric. Hence my user name.

Keep in mind that the Model X is available with 2 seating options.
You should be able to load long items if you select the option without the middle seat in the second row.
Model X seats.PNG

Well, after hearing all this, I'm glad I own the only true SUV that's Tesla powered. No interior cargo problems for me. :biggrin:

Towing capacity ain't much, however...oh and yeah no supercharging...and only 130 miles of range...damn, now I have EV envy again... :frown:

As a retired teacher, my concerns lie not only with the crossed expectations regarding features, I'm losing sleep over the minimum financial commitment as the price of admission.
Even if Elon's tweet that there will be a less expensive option later, a comparable Model S with all the standard features on the MX, the minimum cost breaks down like this:
Fortunately, I probably won't have to make the decision until early 2016.

85 D 85,000
Pano roof 1,500 equivalent for the helicopter cockpit
Auto pilot 2,500 built in sensors on the X
90 Range 3,000
Sound 2,500 in house upgraded sound system
3rd row seats 3,000 non-option on the MX now
Delivery 1,200

Sub Total 98,700

MX Premium 5,000

Total 103,700 without any paint option

Sales Tax? 6-7,000

All in 110,000 for a MX priced like a comparable MS plus 5K, not the anticipated 75-85 K all in expected on reservation date.

In any case, feature or finance, the visceral feeling is like this... we've all been dating the MX for some time now. We've just heard the "Marry me now for who I am, not who you want me to be."

Anyone else have a similar feeling the week before the wedding?!?

I think specs apply to less than 1% of Tesla Community. Especially if primary buyers are women... they wouldn't know what to make of those numbers.

I'm honestly curious what objective / outcome / idea you were trying to express with this comment. My interpretation, which seems to be shared by the others that have responded to the comment, is that you believe that women don't "know what to make of those numbers". I assume therefore that in the world you live in, men use numbers for engineering, accounting, business, providing specific information about vehicle specifications, ... heck - I really don't know what all. But since math applies to so many things (roughly everything), there's a lot of it.

And women ... don't?

Like I said - I really don't understand what you're going for with that comment.

Do you honestly believe that men are able to interpret numeric specs regarding cargo volume and weight, and women are unable to interpret those specifications? Or write the specifications? Or do the engineering that results in the car existing? Or the design and architecture work that preceded the engineering work? Or have the idea that led to the design and architecture, and on to the engineering?