Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

what do you think??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Isn't that what Elon Musk said he wanted?
I think he said many times :"I want to accelerate the transition to EV's".
I applaud the article for having no aggressive pop-ups, but I think most probably some pinhead just wanted the words 'Tesla' and 'Screwed' put out into the world in the same sentence.

Paull said - "I think most probably some pinhead just wanted the words 'Tesla' and 'Screwed' put out into the world in the same sentence."

I agree .... politics! Everything today is politics, hidden agenda, critics and etc. Competition is great, it's what make lazy competitors roll up their sleeves and do something better.

• Helpful
Reactions: PAULL
until the other car makers have a network of chargers that are as reliable as Tesla's SpC network there is no comparison.
I for one welcome all the new potential Tesla competitors.
competition will mean that the auto makers will be fighting it out to differentiate their offerings from the others. the benefits of more players in the game will be lower prices, more innovations and more EVs on the roads. a win for all!

Reactions: dgpcolorado
What passes as journalism today is sad. Using "Screwed" in the title, then I go to the article and one paragraph starts: "Just as importantly," -- no need for the "ly".

We're suppose to assume the author can formulate a reasoned argument on the subject when he can't write properly?

Tesla opened up its patents for fair use so other automakers can follow it's lead. But we can't expect this "journalist" to do his homework when he obviously missed his English classes.

Ignoring the clickbait type headline, I think the article probably has a point. VW is investing a lot of money into a charging network (because they have to, but whatever, its going to get done). If it is in progress when the luxury makers release their first long range vehicles in a couple years, I could see myself taking a real hard look at an Audi or a BMW vs another Tesla. I would be comparing more on features instead of EV vs non-EV. So not having USB phone audio support, onboard maps that I can see anytime there is no cell data (not just when navigating), or adjustable seat belt heights suddenly become bigger issues to me and might affect my purchase decision.

For me, the supercharger network is nice, but I have only supercharged my car once in the almost 6 months I have owned it, and that was just to see how it worked.

For me, the supercharger network is nice, but I have only supercharged my car once in the almost 6 months I have owned it, and that was just to see how it worked.
everyone has differing needs from their vehicle, you like the majority of all drivers rarely take extended road trips. I have a friend in CA who in over 2 years of ownership has never used a SpC. however I and many others do take long road trips and the SpC network is crucial, without that network in place I would never have bought the car.
people who don't drive many miles per day could consider less costly EV options. Paying a premium for up to 300 miles of range might not be cost effective for those types.

I believe that Tesla chintzed on the interior at the outset in order to get a price point to 75-120K and get as many vehicles sold as possible. I also believe that those who were seduced or intrigued by a 200-300 mile pure BEV swapped some "interior luxury" for the coolest car on the road.

If we assume that the Model III will be successful; if we assume that the Gigafactory, solar tiles, Powerwalls etc. are successful, then Tesla will have "luxury" in its high-end models equal to or surpassing the other car makers.

And Tesla will always have its Supercharger network. I do not foresee its competitors springing for their versions any time soon. They will rely upon others to develop a business model for fast DC charging.

I think there are/were many reasons for the interior quality. Many issues Tesla has had can be traced back to the fact Tesla is a new car company. Not an excuse, but true. Watching shows,reading articles etc.... I must have read 1000 times how "it's real hard building a car"
Tesla skipped on some things either from inexperience or for cost cutting moves. Simple things like a granny handle, cup holders,phone connections. I'm sure I can write a long list if I wanted to take the time.
But they did hire the Volvo interior guy (forgot name) so i'm expecting improvements

...For me, the supercharger network is nice, but I have only supercharged my car once in the almost 6 months I have owned it, and that was just to see how it worked.
I'd venture to guess that you are in the minority of Tesla owners. I admit that I am in the minority of Tesla owners on the other side of the spectrum: approximately 110 Supercharger visits in 14 months, covering well over half my miles driven. The goal was for the Model S to replace my LEAF and my backup ICE car, which it does.

Like some others here, without the Supercharger network I never would have considered buying the car, and I waited until the Supercharger Stations on my long trip routes were finally filled in before starting Tesla shopping. The ability to do easy local driving — 70 mile grocery shopping trips — as well as take long road trips was the whole point of the purchase. The fact that the car is a lot of fun to drive is a bonus. I don't care a whit about "luxury."

Bridgestone Survey Finds Nearly 90 Percent of Americans Take Summer Road Trips

And that's only summer.

I don't think I know anyone who doesn't take their vehicle on road trips. That's why the supercharger network is crucially important.
that is you, I know far more people that rarely drive more than 50 miles in a day. I know one tesla owner that has never seen a SpC. my point was that every one has their own needs. just like some try to make everything contentious

I believe that Tesla chintzed on the interior at the outset in order to get a price point to 75-120K and get as many vehicles sold as possible.
I think that you are correct that tesla wanted to get many vehicles sold quickly at the outset but I don't think it was being chintzy, I think that they really don't understand how to build a luxury vehicle. they know how to build a working vehicle but they blew it on the finer points.