Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Y Sales Flop?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly, the car reminds me a lot of the BMW X4, which sells about 50k worldwide in a good year, and <10k per year in the US.

I'm sure this car will be more successful than that because of wanting a model 3, but picking the Y for practical reasons. Also, BMW has so many other similarly shaped and sized SUVs at the same price point that their sales of the model are understated.

Hmm, maybe this points to annual sales of ~200k? Maybe a LOT more if they can get a decent price point on the SR in 2021. Their guidance for 2020 is 500k total units, which would be a total increase of ~140k from 2019, which is somewhat consistent with this if they lowballed 2020 estimates.
I'm buying a Y, but I've long thought the suggestions of 200k (and in many cases, more) sales the first year were just way too bold. Using your example of the X4, you really think there was ever any chance the Y would sell 4 to 5 times as many in the first year?

With the events of the last several weeks you can kiss any thoughts of 200k goodbye. Mr. Market has spoken on the subject with the stock price. It was down another 5% after hours this evening.

The good news is that even if worldwide sales are only 100k, the Y will not be a flop. Think of the R&D savings achieved by basing the car off of and sharing so many of the 3 components.

If I were Elon I would take a page from BMW's sales results and offer an additional variant with a more squared off rear roof to maximize utility. At least in the U.S., one of the things most buyers look for in an SUV is utility. Note how many more X3's BMW sells versus X4's year in and year out, and the same with the X5 versus X6. And Elon could produce this quickly and with relatively little R&D dollars by basing it off the Y.

• Disagree
Reactions: JøhP and IdaBish
Both of these guys make some interesting points, and not sure what the definition of sales "flop" is.

The point about the Toyota pricing is a valid one. The majority of American families are not spending $50K on a new SUV no matter how good it is.

But I don't think Elon was ever going after that market segment anyway. The Y will find it's market nitch, although I'm somewhat troubled by the lack of disclosure regarding how many orders they have. In the past he has not tended to keep it a secret.

I don't know about Toyota... But our closest competitor would be Lexus / RX 450hL AWD Performance $50510 - base model. They struck me as shifty, like shorts...

Tesla does not care which of their cars sell the best. The market will determine which is most profitable.

If Tesla sells more Model 3 than Y, the company will not care.

As Model Y ramps up production, I imagine that more will buy that than the 3, simply because that is where the market is going.

As a surprise, perhaps the Cybertruck will out sell both of them. F150 is the best sellingFord vehicle in their entire lineup...by a lot.

Currently Tesla is the only automaker producing on the West Coast.

Reactions: JøhP
Many current ICE or Hybrid owners would consider getting a Model Y, but will still hesitate because getting a plug installed is a real burden.

Many electricians ask astronomical installation cost, homeowner association doesn't cooperate, or you don't have an assign parking lot.

I wish Tesla has an installation packaging program that could be included in the price of the car.

If I want to get my car repaired, I need to go to a Tesla Service Center or an Authorized Repair or Body Shop.

Why Tesla is not then having Authorized Electrical Centers providing fair installation cost guaranteed by Tesla.

Reactions: IdaBish
Many current ICE or Hybrid owners would consider getting a Model Y, but will still hesitate because getting a plug installed is a real burden.

Many electricians ask astronomical installation cost, homeowner association doesn't cooperate, or you don't have an assign parking lot.

I wish Tesla has an installation packaging program that could be included in the price of the car.

If I want to get my car repaired, I need to go to a Tesla Service Center or an Authorized Repair or Body Shop.

Why Tesla is not then having Authorized Electrical Centers providing fair installation cost guaranteed by Tesla.
What's with the out-of-control bolding?

• Funny
Reactions: MJP.P3D-
With the economy tanking thanks to the virus, of course it’s a safe bet that sales will be down for virtually all cars, not just the Y. Compounding the issue is the fact that we’re getting close to sub $2/gallon gas in many areas and that certainly is not a stimulus for EVs. It has actually become significantly more costly for me to power my S than to refuel my wife’s Lexus ES300h that gets 40-45 mpg in any kind of weather. My electric cost is about $.20.

Reactions: pjoseph
Looking at the X4, I see a car with much less storage, much slower performance (except probably a higher top seed), and an antique, ICE engine for roughly $10,000 more for a comparable package. The interior looks like a mess compared to the Model Y’s wildly futuristic interior. I don’t see how it can compete.