Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

With brick & mortar locations closing who will be delivering Tesla vehicles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They will be discontinuing the $35k version soon due to Teslas famous phrase "lack of demand" and the $38k version soon enough also. The $35k version is likely there to fulfill the $35k promise and the $38k is just a way to move excess already constructed software limited inventory.

is the $38k really already constructed software limited MR inventory ??

There will probably be a new referral program where you let someone test drive your car so they can make a decision to buy.
In addition to that I could see a new rewards program for people that deliver cars and go over the features with new customers. Or possibly tie delivery to the test drive referral somehow.

I was typing this as a joke but sadly I could see Tesla doing this.

Well, I am a medical doctor so have had lots of experience "repairing" people. Humans are very complex and difficult to diagnose and treat.
I've also done a lot of "shade tree mechanic" work on my cars. It's easy and obvious when something breaks and usually easy to fix. I take the heavy lifting to my local mechanic.

I mean, you proved my point with your last sentence. But I'll engage your others anyway...

Being a doctor has nothing in common with repairing cars, and I don't think I need to point this out. An automobile is the most complex thing you will ever own, except possibly unless you ever buy an airplane. Even then I would still give the edge to the car. It's quite frankly a miracle they work at all, never mind in the conditions they are asked to do it in, with almost no maintenance in many cases.

I digress. At least people can tell you where it hurts and how, and I don't think exploratory surgery is really a thing anymore, whereas with cars a customer will tell you "there's no heat out the lower vents" and then you have to take the entire dash apart and root around in there and perform some tests to determine the air door actuator is bad.

For the sake of the discussion let's disregard the Roadster since its volumes were minimal and its purpose was different. So for all practical purposes the oldest Teslas on the road are only seven years old, at most. Still under warranty, in most cases. These cars are just now getting to the point where things like control arms and hub bearings and window regulators are starting to wear out. That's before we get into the complicated stuff like stability control systems, air struts and God help us, touch screens. Fixing this stuff is complex, expensive and takes time.

I know a whole bunch of mechanics, given my line of work, and I would just LOVE to show them your phrase, "It's easy and obvious when something breaks and usually easy to fix." They could all use a good laugh.

Given that Tesla won't really let anyone have any service or parts information on their cars, all of this has to be done by their own people. Tesla has over 200,000 cars on the road now, with another six figures planned for this year.

And Tesla thinks they are going to service all these cars, on site, with rangers?

I said years ago this plan is untenable and I stand by that still today. It's a massive, looming problem on the horizon that Tesla has failed to adequately plan for.

And Tesla thinks they are going to service all these cars, on site, with rangers?

They never said they're going to service ALL the cars with rangers. They just said they'll bolster their mobile service staff so that repairs can be done within a day or even within an hour. It'll be a combination of both service centers and rangers. If you've tried to schedule an appointment through the app recently, you'll see that they require you to choose your issue from a list of detailed selections. They make a determination based on what you choose as to whether or not a ranger can fix the problem. If they can't, then they schedule you in to a service center. I'd wager a guess that they've run the numbers on what sorts of issues people typically have and have determined that many if not most of those issues can be resolved by a simple service visit to the customer's location.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Musk said: Unfortunately, this means that some jobs will be impacted or transitioned to other areas of the business.

I read that as less than 100% redundant and more than 0% depending on their location - so I think people will move to new Tesla jobs if they want to and the commute isn't horrible..

I don't know that someone working sales making a small hourly amount plus a bonus is going to be a good fit for a ranger/service job but sure anything's possible.

That's like you going to the doctor and telling them what you want fixed rather, then having them investigate and tell you what's actually wrong.
When you think you might have broken a finger, you don't go to the doctor and say, I'm not telling you what's wrong with me.

You say, I may have broken a finger. Which makes him examine.........................your finger.

Not your ankle.

When you think you might have broken a finger, you don't go to the doctor and say, I'm not telling you what's wrong with me.

You say, I may have broken a finger. Which makes him examine.........................your finger.

Not your ankle.
Ahhhhh - if only medicine were that tidy! Depending on the specialty it can be a challenge to extract the story about why people really came in and most importantly what is the most serious issue going on which may or may not correlate directly with the chief complaint. We’d all be replaced by computers if it were so simple.

The comparisons between fixing cars and people are weak at best. Both have unique challenges. We should probably just stop resurrecting the comparison since it’s not very helpful.