Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yet another bug fix update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got an OTA, it's yet another bug fix with no release notes. It's July and there hasn't been a single real update all year, the last one was last fall when they messed up the GUI. What's going on, last year there were frequent real updates.
Not a single "real" update eh?
Actually, according the GreenTheOnly (Tesla hacker) the 2021.4.18.x branch contains the latest greatest neural nets that will make up the backbone of FSD V9. So technically speaking these updates are huge and are more advanced than FSD Beta 8.2. Now, it's true the BEHAVIOR software stack 1.0 is unchanged, so there are not big differences to be experienced by us. Also, some of the new nets are running in shadow mode. That said, there are def differences between these releases and the ones from a few months ago, because of the better perception, namely lane line determination and visual distance (Tesla Vision) which are helping the (dumb, old) behavior stack in lane keeping/offset and, more noticeably, distance control for stopping and take-off behind lead car. These have the new multi-camera-video-based auto-wiper-nets as well.

• Love
Reactions: ThunderStrike
I do not like two things with the AP. 1. As an oncoming car cuts in front of me, Tesla is late in braking (it brakes only after the car is almost out of my path) and it keeps braking too long even after the car is cleared from my way. 2. The car in front of mine makes right turn into a parking lot, and my Tesla slows down, which is fine, then is too slow to accelerate, which the car behind me would not appreciate.
I just got 2021.4.18.11. I did not get a chance to use it much yet, but there was this car cutting into my path, and my Tesla reacted rather properly. I hope that this update has the improvements I wanted.

Reactions: Gpkarma
Non-radar cars have had a few firmware releases before 4.18.x.

Vision-only enhancements and upgraded neutral nets is another "minor bug fix" and not worth mentioning for Tesla's SW engineers.

Everything since 4.18.2 has more tesla vision stuff (e.g. FCW, especially based on the false positives I'm getting every so often) though radar is probably still used for various things if you have it.

If you don’t like it sell it and find a better system good luck with that 👍
That’s the dumbest thing anyone can say. If I don’t like and I know tons of others also don’t like it, maybe if enough people complain some of the features will get added OTA, or the missing hardware could make it into refreshed cars.

Suggesting I (or anyone else) should just sell our car because we criticize certain things about it is one of those annoying things I see diehard Tesla fans say. The ones that seem to have a hard time accepting their Tesla may not actually be 100,000% perfect. I see it all too often when someone mentions something they dislike, a certain group of people always go on the “Sell the car then” line.

How about instead Tesla just follow through with things Elon promised years ago, like waypoint navigation, something my 2006 Honda Civic Si had, or CarPlay, something my VW Golf GTI had I bought in 2015. My old 2014 Land Rover LR4 also had blind spot monitoring, the kind with radar, as does every new car except Teslas. I know I’m not in the minority when I say I would prefer a mirror based warning light (as that’s where you look when changing lanes) and cross traffic detection. All of these things are easy fixes for Tesla to add with future software and in the case of BSM/CTA, a hardware change that future cars will hopefully finally offer.

Last edited:
Just as soon as the Caddy is sold, I'll be gone.
Phantom braking is my biggest complaint.
No cross traffic is a close second.
Side pillar cameras that are blinded by sun the third.
I understand people don't want their investment in any purchase to be denigrated.
To keep making excuses for something that just isn't going to work is silly.
I'll tune in in a few years to hear from the faithful.
Is there anything more annoying though than the folks that immediately react to any feedback/dislike of any Tesla product with “Sell your car [because my feelings can’t take you pointing out obvious flaws with any Tesla product]!”

I feel like if more people didn’t pretend like everything worked flawlessly such AP’s jerky acceleration/braking, AP waiting to the last second to brake when traffic is stopped ahead, NOA randomly putting on turn signal to “follow route”, AP going out of the lane in sharper curves on interstates, intersections confusing AP as to what lane it should stay in, etc. we would see more progress with AP/FSD. But, people act like there is nothing else that comes close to Tesla and that AP is 99.999% on par with a human when it’s not. Then there’s the atrocious auto wipers that I actually see people defending as “mine work great.” No they don’t. We’ve got 4 Teslas in our household and none of them have auto wipers that work great. They’re all equally atrocious.

Missing BSM with Cross Traffic Detection, not having 360° cameras, and a HUD all make me consider other vehicles for my next purchase. I would like to see Tesla add those things so I could stick with the brand, but it’s practically illegal to say you’d like to see anything changed without someone jumping down your throat to just sell your car and never come back to Tesla. I really think Tesla would be a better brand if more people actually were honest with themselves and admitted the shortcomings and demanded change. I don’t understand how anyone can make an argument that a car without cross traffic detection is better than one with it.

Is there anything more annoying though than the folks that immediately react to any feedback/dislike of any Tesla product with “Sell your car [because my feelings can’t take you pointing out obvious flaws with any Tesla product]!”

I feel like if more people didn’t pretend like everything worked flawlessly such AP’s jerky acceleration/braking, AP waiting to the last second to brake when traffic is stopped ahead, NOA randomly putting on turn signal to “follow route”, AP going out of the lane in sharper curves on interstates, intersections confusing AP as to what lane it should stay in, etc. we would see more progress with AP/FSD. But, people act like there is nothing else that comes close to Tesla and that AP is 99.999% on par with a human when it’s not. Then there’s the atrocious auto wipers that I actually see people defending as “mine work great.” No they don’t. We’ve got 4 Teslas in our household and none of them have auto wipers that work great. They’re all equally atrocious.

Missing BSM with Cross Traffic Detection, not having 360° cameras, and a HUD all make me consider other vehicles for my next purchase. I would like to see Tesla add those things so I could stick with the brand, but it’s practically illegal to say you’d like to see anything changed without someone jumping down your throat to just sell your car and never come back to Tesla. I really think Tesla would be a better brand if more people actually were honest with themselves and admitted the shortcomings and demanded change. I don’t understand how anyone can make an argument that a car without cross traffic detection is better than one with it.

Sell your car.

allow us to change it back(the inconsiderate of non FSD drivers M3 holiday update dump that was taken on my M3 screen).
one level of 'undo' is NOT unreasonable.

anyone who expects a userbase to install alpha or even beta software SHOULD ALWAYS allow a revert option.

its not really even that hard. multi undo is harder, but one level is nearly trivial. and actually insulting that there is no way out if you took the latest and regretted it.

customer experience is low, on this. no undo in ... what ... 2011? seriously??

Reactions: CT3PO