Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 Model S Base Audio Package No Sound

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2015 RWD Model S with the MCU1 and with the base audio package. Last week all but the center speaker has stopped working. The voice commands still work but there is nothing from the door speakers or rear speakers. I did a lot of research on this issue and have tried just about everything.

1. I soft and hard reset the system a dozen times and even updated the firmware to the latest release. No change.
2. I checked the fuses that are related to the sound system. All fuses are good. I did notice there is a fuse installed for the premium amplifier but there should be no amplifier for this car right? I pulled that fuse, checked it, and nothing changed.

A few questions.

I examined the service manual and wiring schematics and understand the base audio package has no amplifier but instead sends speaker level output direct from the MCU. Is this correct? If so, it would seem the MCU could be at fault. This is a new MCU1 Tesla installed under warranty a few years ago.

Are there any replaceable amplifier components on the back of the MCU or is it all just one unit/part?

I read some pages about upgrading the base audio system to one with an amplifier using the line level outputs from the MCU. If I can determine the line level outputs are still working I suppose I could add an amplifier and upgrade the system but it seems I'll lose volume control through the MCU that way?

Anything else I should check or consider before calling Tesla?
Which audio fuses there is? Where i can found?