Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 MX Center console usb port replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a recent drive into work, I accidentally spilled some coffee into my center console. Unfortunately, as luck would have it, I spilled it right into the two USB ports. Both of them are now dead. I have tried multiple usb drives in both ports and have been unable to get the car to recognize that they were connected. My assumption is the ports need to be replaced, and hopefully not the entire usb hub.

Does anyone know where I can find instructions on replacing the center console's USB ports? I would also really appreciate any information on the parts needed.

Thank you in advance.

Jason

I just did this. The previous owner spilt what looked like cottage cheese in the port this blew the hub.
Even after clearing out the port and swopping them out with the rear ones the hub was blown on those two ports. This meant the car did not recognise any USB stick or any 12v supply to the ports.
The Tesla info for removal of the ports or hub is sadly lacking in clarity. Thankfully most of it is pop off. I needed a t25 tool to remove the hub and replace it. I went from Revision E to F. Took about 22 minutes. It is well within a lay persons ability, like myself.
Basically you remove the cup holder plate by opening it up and then lifting it up. It slides up and out.
That then exposes the air vent which is pulled out as a whole, along with the USB plate. (do not do what I did and remove the air vent plate - leave that on and remove the air vent and USB bit together.
The base cover underneath is pop off which exposes the hub and cables. You just pull that toward you and it comes out. The cables should be removed from the hub to make it easy to replace the hub.
Then remove and replace the hub.
Then put everything back in reverse.

tempImagexwRxF2.jpg
tempImageZDV5Nu.png
tempImagecVMf3E.png
tempImageco4lSc.png
tempImageGcCI1g.png

Attachments

• tempImageaYFiSH.png
    tempImageaYFiSH.png
    3 MB · Views: 2
  • tempImagelqhsyB.png