Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody here waiting for Solar Roof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do you suppose the payback calculation would be on a roof over a 4000 sq.ft. house?
Well... I'll be honest, while I tried to do some math during the wait time before committing to the install, I didn't get far enough to put a smile on my face financially. We needed a new roof, the product sounded promising and looked a hell of a lot better than a bunch of panels. We wanted solar so we dove in. The payback for a regular solar install is much faster than the solar roof, and probably always will be.

Having the Connected Solutions Virtual Power Plant program which has our powerwalls dump power to the grid over the summer during peak utilization events significantly helps offset the cost of the powerwalls. I think we were seeing $2k payments for the past two years. There has been a change in the payout process and we're actually still waiting for our 2023 payment (we've been in touch with Tesla Energy on it and hope to see this taken care of soon).

Well... I'll be honest, while I tried to do some math during the wait time before committing to the install, I didn't get far enough to put a smile on my face financially. We needed a new roof, the product sounded promising and looked a hell of a lot better than a bunch of panels. We wanted solar so we dove in. The payback for a regular solar install is much faster than the solar roof, and probably always will be.

Having the Connected Solutions Virtual Power Plant program which has our powerwalls dump power to the grid over the summer during peak utilization events significantly helps offset the cost of the powerwalls. I think we were seeing $2k payments for the past two years. There has been a change in the payout process and we're actually still waiting for our 2023 payment (we've been in touch with Tesla Energy on it and hope to see this taken care of soon).
I received my Connected Solutions payment through the Tesla app on March 2.

I received my Connected Solutions payment through the Tesla app on March 2.
Yeah, I think those that got them did. Apparently for some of use that new process Tesla just implemented this year didn't work out due to some back end account linking/data issues (so I'm told). I'm still waiting to get a resolution on this after two support tickets raised through the app, and a few direct face-to-face conversations with Tesla folks that in theory should be able to assist. The first support ticket I raised mid to late March resulted in Teslay saying they would issue a paper check the old fashioned way. That never happened. The second support request resulted in a "we can't help you, contact this other e-mail address for help". Nadda.