Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are any of the tricks to force a software update real?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Updates don't wait for you. Still stuck at 32.9 for the past 4 months. In november, i noticed an update was available, but waited a few days before downloading. By then, the update disappeared.

Oh, interesting. Me too. In my case it was only a couple of hours (got a notification overnight--but by the time I awoke there was no update available on my app and then the phone banner-notification disappeared too). Annoying. But better to get the right (bug-free) software for my particular model then to be saddled with a bug-ridden version, correct?

I'll add one more bit of info here.
We had two Model Y's purchased about a month apart and the first one would always get an update followed by the second one a day or few days later. It seems that maybe they push the update out by VIN number. This is just speculation on my part, but in our case, it was reliably the case.

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352
I am also super anxiously waiting for the holiday update, mostly for FSD 11.4.9, been on 11.4.4 for months now and can't wait to get something new. Had an update pop on Saturday but it was just 2023.44.1 :rolleyes:
Same. I thought it was the holiday update and didn’t realize it was just a minor release until I installed it and realized nothing had changed. Still waiting…
Going on a long road trip tomorrow morning and was hoping to have an update but guess it wont happen now since I can’t check for updates until 3:45 pm tomorrow.

Reading this thread I got interested to see if the latest update was available to me. 2023 MYP running 2023.38.9. Nothing on my phone app.
So I went to the car, checked Software, and immediately the car showed 2023.44.1 available and started downloading. Installing now.

The whole software update thing can be both fun and stressful; pleasing and infuriating. The primary thing that causes the bad feelings is, I think, the unknown--caused by a lack of specific communication and/or precise scheduling information. A week's delay can seem like an eternity if we are checking our Apps or touchscreens several times a day. Increasingly, we know there is an update coming, or that other drivers and their various models have perhaps received one. But when will we get it? And those people with cars which for some reason don't receive updates for lengthy periods probably experience the greatest anguish, which is completely understandable.

Can anything help?

Trying to understand the software engineering development scheduling issues that Tesla faces can make one more understanding of update delays. So too can being aware of how software releases are generally scheduled. For example, instead of dumping an update to all of hundreds of thousands of cars at once, Tesla chooses to carefully control and slow the release so as to be ready to halt an update if problems arise.

After all, who wants to receive software that has bugs that can affect functions we have come to depend on?

All I can suggest is that readers continue to read the informative and knowledgeable posts (some clearly written by [active or retired] automotive industry insiders) about software updates provided in this (the TMC) Forum.

Reading this thread I got interested to see if the latest update was available to me. 2023 MYP running 2023.38.9. Nothing on my phone app.
So I went to the car, checked Software, and immediately the car showed 2023.44.1 available and started downloading. Installing now.
Woohoo! It’s still a big mystery to me how and when the app pushes occur.

I assume you hadn’t checked your car for 24 hours at that point.

Woohoo! It’s still a big mystery to me how and when the app pushes occur...

Don't know if they will help, but here are a couple of initial posts and subsequent threads--here and here--that may provide some clues. Search TCM for other pertinent posts/threads.

I constructed the first post (with expanding table) two years ago, when I was still relatively new to (a) my car (received in March of that year), (b) FSD Beta testing, and (c) the whole Tesla software update and holiday release process.

If you look closely at the OP chart and some of the subsequent posts (e.g., #s 81 and 85), you'll find some (often speculative) information about how and/or why Tesla chooses to release updates, for example to certain models in certain areas and not to others.

The second post/thread was my attempt to (at that time) gather together information on what to do if your car had not updated recently. I'm sure more has been written about that issue, but I am not sure that anyone (not working at Tesla) still has any real answer to the question, "How can I make my car update now to new software?" Seems like many new owners, whose cars are sometimes stuck for weeks/months with the special "break-in period" software (my term) can be particularly frustrated as others continue to get attractive updates with new features.

Last edited:
Turns out I got an update, but not THE update, I think. I have 2023.44.1, with FSD beta 11.4.4. FSD same as before, and 44.1 apparently does not include the recall fix. I checked again tonight, but no update available. For some reason I got prompted to add my Tesla wall connector to the phone app. I did that, but I see no new benefit or even evidence I added the charger. Just not sure what's up there as the charger has been working fine since I got the car, normally charging to 80% starting at 11pm.

Turns out I got an update, but not THE update, I think. I have 2023.44.1, with FSD beta 11.4.4. FSD same as before, and 44.1 apparently does not include the recall fix. I checked again tonight, but no update available. For some reason I got prompted to add my Tesla wall connector to the phone app. I did that, but I see no new benefit or even evidence I added the charger. Just not sure what's up there as the charger has been working fine since I got the car, normally charging to 80% starting at 11pm.

According to not a tesla app the latest software version being downloaded is 2023.44.30.4, with FSDD version 11.4.9. Not sure if that is the Holiday Update or not?

For comparison, my (early 2021 Model X) car currently has 2023.27.12 (FSD v11.4.8.1).

It would probably be nice (for most everyone) if Tesla was able to shrink the number of different software versions down to a more manageable amount.

I checked software this afternoon and it told me the car was up to date as of today. Went shopping and about seven hours later, before returning to the car, I went to the app to turn on climate, and saw a message stating that an update was available for download. Went home and it downloaded when the car connected to my WiFi. I installed the update and everything is working so far; 2023.44.30.2

Reactions: J-a-x
I checked software this afternoon and it told me the car was up to date as of today. Went shopping and about seven hours later, before returning to the car, I went to the app to turn on climate, and saw a message stating that an update was available for download. Went home and it downloaded when the car connected to my WiFi. I installed the update and everything is working so far; 2023.44.30.2
Thanks for sharing. Sounds like the 24 hour limitation doesn’t mean too much…
nada here…

I finally got it! 2023.44.30.2 is ready to download! I actually had no notification on my Tesla app, and was in between daily “manual refreshes” but I got a notification from TeslaFi saying the update was available. When I launched the Tesla app I can see it. Unfortunately I am visiting family and my car is parked outside for a few days with no wifi so not the best time to install an update but I’ll probably walk down and install it with my personal hotspot later today.

I finally got it! 2023.44.30.2 is ready to download! I actually had no notification on my Tesla app, and was in between daily “manual refreshes” but I got a notification from TeslaFi saying the update was available. When I launched the Tesla app I can see it. Unfortunately I am visiting family and my car is parked outside for a few days with no wifi so not the best time to install an update but I’ll probably walk down and install it with my personal hotspot later today.

Yeah!

I just checked my Tesla App and I too have an/the update available--it is 2023.44.30.4.

Since according to not a tesla app _ _ _30.2, _ _ _30.3, and _ _ _30.4 were all for bug fixes, you may (or may not, depending on car model?) receive _ _ _30.4 in the near future. If I remember, one holiday period (2021?) I received two updates within a few days.

Last edited:
Yeah!

I just checked my Tesla App and I too have an/the update available--it is 2023.44.30.4.

Since according to not a tesla app _ _ _30.2, _ _ _30.3, and _ _ _30.4 were all for bug fixes, you may (or may not, depending on car model?) receive _ _ _30.4 in the near future. If I remember, one holiday period (2021?) I received two updates within a few days.
Interesting so the reason I got .2 and not .4 might not mean I’m missing som bug fixes but instead .2 and .4 are different bug fixes for different models

Same here. Checked my phone today, and I had an in-app software notification for 2023.44.30.4. No notification outside the app - but when I noticed the availability, it also started downloading automatically. Perhaps a different update mechanism for this without the usual notification. Or maybe that would have shown up later. Right now it is downloading.

Interesting so the reason I got .2 and not .4 might not mean I’m missing som bug fixes but instead .2 and .4 are different bug fixes for different models

I do not know. Possibly.

I was supposed to get an update on Sunday morning (as I reported above). But then the update message went away before I could start it. That was probably intended to be _ _ _30.1 or _ _ _30.2 or whatever. Somebody (or more likely something--cough, cough, AI, cough) at Tesla may have decided to cancel my download, since new versions were coming fast and furious. Or the intended download wasn't right for my model?

Hopefully _ _ _30.4 (with FSD Beta v.11.4.9) will be a stable version. I see that Waymo driver-less cars are already running around parts of San Francisco. Seems like Tesla FSD maybe has fallen behind?