Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Thinks my Temp "Garage in a box" is a truck. Any way to stop that?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. I bought a 2023 Model Y a month ago. I recently put up a temporary "garage in a box" for it. Today was the second time the brakes locked up on me. Looking at the screen, the car seems to "think" the garage is an RV with brake lights. Is there a way to train the car otherwise? I don't want to soil my white seats.:oops:

It is probably nervous about going into a unfamiliar place. Try putting it's favorite toy in there or a blanket with your scent on it. Reward the car with a treat whenever it goes in. :)

Seriously, is there something you can do to change the visual profile to make it look less like a truck? It probably fits into the dimensions that line up with the shape of a truck. Maybe put something on the sides of it to make it look less boxy.

Hello. I bought a 2023 Model Y a month ago. I recently put up a temporary "garage in a box" for it. Today was the second time the brakes locked up on me. Looking at the screen, the car seems to "think" the garage is an RV with brake lights. Is there a way to train the car otherwise? I don't want to soil my white seats.:oops:
Pictures of your Garage in a Box please.

Reactions: Scubamikey
I can see how that would think it is a truck - not that it should, just comparing with what it does in our normal garage. When we pull in my wife's model 3 (with USS) we get the normal "ding, ding" about the sides of the garage and then, when we get near where she parks, the display shows a truck actually intersecting her car. It is just a shelf, and it never touches the actual car. And the collision avoidance doesn't engage so no brakes coming on. For my Model Y (no USS damnit) it shows a garbage can and a car that is on top of mine. Again, no emergency stop though.

I agree with other comments that attempting to change the visual profile somewhat on the portable garage is likely the only thing you can do.

I can see how that would think it is a truck - not that it should, just comparing with what it does in our normal garage. When we pull in my wife's model 3 (with USS) we get the normal "ding, ding" about the sides of the garage and then, when we get near where she parks, the display shows a truck actually intersecting her car. It is just a shelf, and it never touches the actual car. And the collision avoidance doesn't engage so no brakes coming on. For my Model Y (no USS damnit) it shows a garbage can and a car that is on top of mine. Again, no emergency stop though.

I agree with other comments that attempting to change the visual profile somewhat on the portable garage is likely the only thing you can do.
Yes..it sounds like an arcade as I pull it in. Hoping there was a magic button. Does it learn like AI?

It is probably nervous about going into a unfamiliar place. Try putting it's favorite toy in there or a blanket with your scent on it. Reward the car with a treat whenever it goes in. :)

Seriously, is there something you can do to change the visual profile to make it look less like a truck? It probably fits into the dimensions that line up with the shape of a truck. Maybe put something on the sides of it to make it look less boxy.
I do leave its charging cable inside within view....

Yes..it sounds like an arcade as I pull it in. Hoping there was a magic button. Does it learn like AI?
No, not in the car, the Tesla phones home to the Tesla servers, who load your data into an AI computer, if the computer doesn't know what something is, it flags it and a human looks at it and manually labels the object and sends it back to to AI. (I would shoot myself in the knee if that was my full time job)

The output from the AI computer is used to develop revisions that gets baked into a future OTA update.

My Model Y is just over a year old and it does a much better job identifying stuff than it did when I first picked it up. For example, when I first got the Tesla, it didn't properly identify the motorcycle parked in my garage, now it does. It still thinks the side of my house is a semi truck as I pull in or out of my garage though.

No, not in the car, the Tesla phones home to the Tesla servers, who load your data into an AI computer, if the computer doesn't know what something is, it flags it and a human looks at it and manually labels the object and sends it back to to AI. (I would shoot myself in the knee if that was my full time job)

The output from the AI computer is used to develop revisions that gets baked into a future OTA update.

My Model Y is just over a year old and it does a much better job identifying stuff than it did when I first picked it up. For example, when I first got the Tesla, it didn't properly identify the motorcycle parked in my garage, now it does. It still thinks the side of my house is a semi truck as I pull in or out of my garage though.
Interesting. My dog morphed into human form momentarily on the screen.

Interesting. My dog morphed into human form momentarily on the screen.
Now that's funny :) To be honest, I am actually surprised on how much it gets right (in near real time) with how small the onboard computer is.

I know we all want perfection, but when I step back and think about what we were dealing with when I got into the IT world in the 80s, its actually pretty amazing.