Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cracked roof, any chance it's covered under warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_8357.jpeg

I discovered my 23 MYLR roof is cracked. Three questions:
Is there any safety risk if I continue driving this for a while (see below)?
Any chance this is covered under Tesla's warranty or should I just move ahead with an insurance claim with AAA?
Is it important/essential to get this repaired by Tesla and not someone in AAA's "glass network"?

The situation is slightly complicated by the fact that I'm leaving in two days to drive from California to Maine where we'll stay for 6 months. First available SC appointment (in Massachusetts, 2 1/2 hours from our house in Maine) is 5/31.

Thanks for any advice.

p.s. I'm virtually certain the crack is unrelated to the roof rack. Tesla installed the rack and it's easy to see that there is at least 1/16" of clearance between the base of the rack and the glass. I know sometimes these can be installed poorly and impinge on the glass, but I don't believe that's what's going on here.

Any chance this is covered under Tesla's warranty or should I just move ahead with an insurance claim with AAA?

Doesnt look like there is any chance it would be covered under warranty to me. There is a huge chip in the glass right along the crack lines, that looks like external damage (thus not warranty).

View attachment 1044075

I discovered my 23 MYLR roof is cracked. Three questions:
Is there any safety risk if I continue driving this for a while (see below)?
Is it important/essential to get this repaired by Tesla and not someone in AAA's "glass network"?

The situation is slightly complicated by the fact that I'm leaving in two days to drive from California to Maine where we'll stay for 6 months. First available SC appointment (in Massachusetts, 2 1/2 hours from our house in Maine) is 5/31.

Thanks for any advice.

p.s. I'm virtually certain the crack is unrelated to the roof rack. Tesla installed the rack and it's easy to see that there is at least 1/16" of clearance between the base of the rack and the glass. I know sometimes these can be installed poorly and impinge on the glass, but I don't believe that's what's going on here.
I just got my 2023 MYLR roof replaced a few days ago. Mine had a much smaller stone chip which they said was the culprit. I had to pay my 1,000 dollar deductible.

There was a bad batch of welds done on the piece that the roof rack hooks onto. When they are no good the tightening of the mount screws can be enough to pull the hole shebang into the glass. That or it could be on the edge of failure and loading up the rack does it.

The piece of glass missing is consistent with impact damage but could also be a breakout where the crack changed path.

Is the rack at all loose and/or if you swing on it do you hear metal on glass? Either of those signs would indicate busted up weld aka warranty bodywork plus glass required.

Reactions: FumelessCamper
The chip on the glass bodes bad for Tesla covering it. If you can trace it to the roof rack however, there is a chance they may cover it. As others mention, see if there is flex such that the rack might touch the glass.

The missing piece of glass is not impact damage. It's chip-out.
The crack is from stress at the roof rack stanchion . IDK who would install
a rack on a car with a class roof. If Tesla instated, it's on them unless
you can prove it wasn't overloaded. Good luck with that!

IMO, you should remove the rack when they replace the glass and sell it.