Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally got my FSD trial - Major school zone issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Easiest just to avoid school zones all together. Route around them.
I rarely give a thumbs down, and it's nothing personal, but the "disagree" is because it's sometimes not possible. Consider the previous post where the poster's road exits into a school zone. You can't avoid that. And I can think of at least one case in an area I used to live in where rerouting was somewhere between impossible and at least horribly inconvenient. And what if you are trying to use a robotaxi to get to or from the school itself?

Reactions: 455dan
I rarely give a thumbs down, and it's nothing personal, but the "disagree" is because it's sometimes not possible. Consider the previous post where the poster's road exits into a school zone. You can't avoid that. And I can think of at least one case in an area I used to live in where rerouting was somewhere between impossible and at least horribly inconvenient. And what if you are trying to use a robotaxi to get to or from the school itself?
I appreciate the explanation, and I don't mind the thumbs down. But you're talking about two different things: FSDS and Robotaxis. FSDS is an L2 driver assistance (ADAS) feature, and Robotaxis are L4 AVs. As of right now, FSDS does not support school zones, and the driver should disengage and drive manually around those zones/busses/children. Until we read in release notes that FSDS now supports school zones, that's the procedure. However, given the non-standardization of school zone street signs, this may take quite some time. Robotaxis, on the other hand, will need to handle school zones at some point, and will likely rely on detailed mapping data to navigate them - but will likely route around them if at all possible.

I appreciate the explanation, and I don't mind the thumbs down. But you're talking about two different things: FSDS and Robotaxis. FSDS is an L2 driver assistance (ADAS) feature, and Robotaxis are L4 AVs. As of right now, FSDS does not support school zones, and the driver should disengage and drive manually around those zones/busses/children. Until we read in release notes that FSDS now supports school zones, that's the procedure. However, given the non-standardization of school zone street signs, this may take quite some time. Robotaxis, on the other hand, will need to handle school zones at some point, and will likely rely on detailed mapping data to navigate them - but will likely route around them if at all possible.
I'm just talking about one thing: robotaxis. Regarding FSDS, however, I also don't think FSDS should route around school zones, but rather the supervisor should simply disengage when entering an active school zone, the same as any other non-standard situation: construction zone, parking lot (although it actually doesn't do too badly getting out of a parking lot), accident scene, etc.

I'm just talking about one thing: robotaxis. Regarding FSDS, however, I also don't think FSDS should route around school zones, but rather the supervisor should simply disengage when entering an active school zone, the same as any other non-standard situation: construction zone, parking lot (although it actually doesn't do too badly getting out of a parking lot), accident scene, etc.
Glad we're in agreement on FSDS, and it would seem a miscommunication on Robotaxis, I was commenting in this thread generally, not replying specifically to a comment, the thread being "FSD Trial - Major School Zone Issue". Given current limitations, routing around school zones (where possible) seems to be a decent band-aid. Agreed there are times you cannot avoid them, and drivers should disengage.

I will find out soon. I'm sure that if the school bus is in my lane, it will work just fine but I'm wondering how it will handle a stopped school bus in the opposite lane..
it doesn't, you have to intervene. this has been a bug for years, and it doesn't appear Tesla has an interest to fix it. same with the emergency vehicle issue. you have to laugh that Elon thinks he is going to be allowed to have a driverless taxi.

Reactions: RTPEV