Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Investor Engineering Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For something less speculative, here is Jordan's latest video:-

As usual, well worth watching.
I enjoyed that too. Amazing how difficult and uncertain every single thing is about this battery technology thing. Current charge state? It depends. How fast can you charge safely? It depends. What is the tradeoff of cycle life vs. charge rate vs. depth of discharge? It depends, and changes over time, varies with chemistry, temperature, etc.
One of Tesla's early advantages was industry-leading BMS / utilization of the pack. I expect the better competition has closed the gap somewhat, but Tesla has likely maintained an excellent position here.
A lot of modelling and research (and lookup tables) goes into this stuff.

I enjoyed that too. Amazing how difficult and uncertain every single thing is about this battery technology thing. Current charge state? It depends. How fast can you charge safely? It depends. What is the tradeoff of cycle life vs. charge rate vs. depth of discharge? It depends, and changes over time, varies with chemistry, temperature, etc.
One of Tesla's early advantages was industry-leading BMS / utilization of the pack. I expect the better competition has closed the gap somewhat, but Tesla has likely maintained an excellent position here.
A lot of modelling and research (and lookup tables) goes into this stuff.

It really makes me wonder how Porsche is getting such an awesome charge curve, because everything points out that the previous generation Taycan is holding up pretty well on degradation, and the new one maintaining close to 3C charge rate up to 60%

Does Tesla knows something other don't? Does that happen only because more expensive cells? And Tesla on it's continuous effort to reduce cost and improve adoption focus much more on reducing cost than fast charging?

It really makes me wonder how Porsche is getting such an awesome charge curve, because everything points out that the previous generation Taycan is holding up pretty well on degradation, and the new one maintaining close to 3C charge rate up to 60%

Does Tesla knows something other don't? Does that happen only because more expensive cells? And Tesla on it's continuous effort to reduce cost and improve adoption focus much more on reducing cost than fast charging?
Most likely thinner electrode coatings you lose some density, but get much more power.

oooo, this looks like a must watch:

"DOJO: An Exa-Scale Lossy AI Network using the Tesla Transport Protocol over Ethernet (TTPoE)" by Eric Quinnell, Tesla
Late August at the Hot Chips conference which is chock full of AI chip talks this year.
hmm...so would we be considered a "student" as none of us are professionals... :) $85 is worth it, but not $200. Also, I wonder if this would ever surface on the tube....

EDIT: nope, definitely not a student...form asks for university email. bah. whatever then. hahaha

hmm...so would we be considered a "student" as none of us are professionals... :) $85 is worth it, but not $200. Also, I wonder if this would ever surface on the tube....

EDIT: nope, definitely not a student...form asks for university email. bah. whatever then. hahaha
It would be copyrighted content, so unless Hot Chips puts it on the tube, it won’t be there. Looks like they put it on the tube about 4-5 months after the event.