Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lesson for Tesla Owners - Tire Service from Tesla or not

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving to the office in the morning, my wife's 2023 MY picked a nail, on the rear passenger side. She got an alert on her cell phone around 3 pm, the tire pressure was low - 32 PSI. I have her carry a portable inflator so asked her to fill it to 46 psi and drive to nearby America's Tire (In California that's what they call Discount Tire), which is around one mile away. She was not too sure so called Tesla Roadside assistance and the mobile tire service van arrived in an hour. The guy straight forward told her, he wouldn't patch it so the only thing he can do is replace the tire (approx. 8K miles on tire/car). Interestingly, he told her the tire was losing air very slowly so he could top it and she could take it to America's Tire and they may patch it, but he wouldn't. Wife being a wife - she said okay to replace the tire! So the Tesla service replaced the tire ($450 pop) and returned the old tire which I got patched for free. So have a look at the pictures guys and let me know what you think. IMO Tesla plays safe from liability reasons. There was no need to replace the tire. But I would like to hear what you guys think.

Also, let me know - should I leave the brand new tire there, as it is mixed with 8K old (but in great shape 7/32) tires, or shall I get the old one put back and keep brand new as a spare or future replacement where I would have to buy only three instead of four tires.
Nail.jpg
Plug.jpg

Last edited:
I think the nail is in an area where most tire shops won’t patch and would require a full replacement. That’s just too close to the tire wall to get a patch. From what I recall, that first area of tread is a no go for patching, but hopefully someone with more experience can chime in and give a definite answer.
Somewhere I read its 0.5 inch or max 1 inch from sidewall, and as you can see in pic its 1.5 inches from sidewall hence was wondering...

by tire repair standards, and all I saw mimic what I linked to, it’s repairable. Me? I’d buy a used rim and put that tire into service again. I’d also make it part of my tire rotation plan. If you rotate every 7k miles you should be able to balance wear out across all 5 tires.

Reactions: AbraDabra007
As you probably know by now, Tesla service is exorbitant (as are most dealer services, so they aren't unique). I had a tire patched at a Meineke while on the road for $35, and also another tire patched by Tesla in my driveway that cost me $125.... 🤷‍♂️ And I bought my new tires from Tire Rack for about $325 each. Personally, I'd toss the plugged tire and not worry about it. There's a reason many shops won't plug a hole that close to the sidewall.

@AbraDabra007 Had your wife gone to America's tire, you would have probably paid about $375 for a new tire after fees and taxes. Basically you paid a $75 "convenience fee" for Tesla roadside to come replace the tire, which is less than 0.5 hours of Tesla's labor rate. Not the most cost effective way to deal with the situation, but you didn't get taken advantage of either.

@AbraDabra007 Had your wife gone to America's tire, you would have probably paid about $375 for a new tire after fees and taxes. Basically you paid a $75 "convenience fee" for Tesla roadside to come replace the tire, which is less than 0.5 hours of Tesla's labor rate. Not the most cost effective way to deal with the situation, but you didn't get taken advantage of either.
I agree. I also don't think Tesla charged anything outrageous for a new tire. My thought was more around, was it necessary, or a plug could have done the job?