Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y RWD is now long range (May 3) in the US

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I could get my original specs at 0.99%, I would have stayed RWD "short range." But there was none available in white with black interior, which is what we wanted. The AWD I got is fun but the RWD short range has nearly the same functionality for 5k less and one less motor to worry about down the road. It accelerates really nicely for passing even if it is much slower from stop and charging above 80% on the "long range" while on a trip would be a very rare occurrence anyway.

That said, we are to tow a lightweight cargo trailer for the first time with an EV so that little extra usable range in the AWD helps with planning/safety buffer.

Regardless, the value of these cars in context is insane right now--and that is even before factoring the 0.99% in.

We looked at the various Toyota and used Lexus options and nothing under 50k came remotely close to impressing us. We do have a modded 2018 4Runner for true offroading and long-distance travel to remote areas so we have that side of travel covered anyway.

If I could get my original specs at 0.99%, I would have stayed RWD "short range." But there was none available in white with black interior, which is what we wanted. The AWD I got is fun but the RWD short range has nearly the same functionality for 5k less and one less motor to worry about down the road. It accelerates really nicely for passing even if it is much slower from stop and charging above 80% on the "long range" while on a trip would be a very rare occurrence anyway.

That said, we are to tow a lightweight cargo trailer for the first time with an EV so that little extra usable range in the AWD helps with planning/safety buffer.

Regardless, the value of these cars in context is insane right now--and that is even before factoring the 0.99% in.

We looked at the various Toyota and used Lexus options and nothing under 50k came remotely close to impressing us. We do have a modded 2018 4Runner for true offroading and long-distance travel to remote areas so we have that side of travel covered anyway.
Would RWD affect trailer towing performance?

Would RWD affect trailer towing performance?

Initially I wanted long range for that reason. After seeing that the battery is most likely the same (before it became confirmed), I realized that the only times I would be waiting to charge over 80% on a long range model would be for the scariest segments, range wise.

For me, on our planned trip from Phoenix to Seattle, the potential "scary" segments are either 1 going via Vegas or 2 going via LA. The one towards Vegas is 140 miles with 1,000 ft elevation gain and it would have been out of the question. Going through LA involves two 100 mile segments, much easier though it can be windy.

I was confident I could do the 2x100 miles segment with the short range charged to 100%. Our trailer is 1,000lb with all the luggage in it and small. I am yet to test it because I do not keep it at home but at a friend's place. I hope I will do better than those that report 45-50% range with a trailer.

Now that we went AWD, I am still not sure we can make the 140 mile stretch as the car anticipates using more than 50% of the range if empty.

However, it could help avoid some annoying stops going to LA, basically reducing 4 charging stops between home and Indio to 2 which matters given the issue with uncoupling the trailer in most places.

In short, I like having all the features of the pricier model and at 0.99% it was a no brainer, but I doubt I actually need any of them.

Reactions: Royal27 and ivyvy