Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEW Model 3 Highland review!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
because
So what if they did? Why would you care? He gave an EXAMPLE of how the claim was not true in all cases.

Personally, I have no interest in performance upgrades, but I absolutely don't begrudge those who do. I spent my upgrade dollars on something that I know doesn't interest (by my guess) 98% of the Tesla drivers.
because it has nothing to do with the topic at hand nor the context of the discussion

Reactions: Yelobird
I think anyone who thinks the Tesla applied cost cutting measure to the M3H should watch Munro Live for this car.

Highland 100% has cheaper interior parts. Chevy-level cheap. As in - way too crappy looking for me to want to be in one.
I really don't give two sh*ts what Munro says.

I was thoroughly impressed when I heard Munro say that nearly half of the parts in the Highland were new from the previous M3, and Tesla raised the price very little.
I don't think any other car manufacturer could do that.

Every car manufacturer upgrades parts in model refreshes. That's nothing new.
Usually, those updates are for the better.
In the case of Highland, I found them to be for the worse:
  • Dumb and user-unfriendly removal of turn signal and gear shift stalks.
  • Even cheaper interior plastics all around.
  • Cheaper "fabric" material in areas you touch, where suede used to be.

Downgrading models with a refresh is certainly a new concept for the automotive industry.
Downgrading models while raising prices is extra-dumb.
No wonder Tesla sales took a dive last quarter.

I test drove Highland with an eye towards getting one for my teen driver.
We walked out of the Tesla dealership with a firm impression that Highland is completely unfit for purpose. We will be buying him another OEM's EV instead.

a

Downgrading models with a refresh is certainly a new concept for the automotive industry.
It is hardly new. In the late 1990s, some Japan-based car companies, feeling exchange rate pressures, cut costs to the point that some of the redesigned models were worse than their predecessors. More recently, there were some cars in the recession era that were widely seen as downgrades from their predecessors (e.g. 2012 Honda Civic). There were also cheapened trim lines for lower prices like the 2009 Nissan Versa base model for under $10k (some called it the "Recession Edition").