Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Spare Tire - I Have a few Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HAHA! The joke's on me. Our cars have very different castings in the rear.

No slots in the box beam, no openings except for the clip to secure the trim.

Now I'm wondering if I could attach a hold-down ring to the low corner bolts that hold the actual tub? Can I assume these bolts can be removed temporarily w/o having to access a nut underneath? Would the bolt/threads/sheet metal have enough integrity to hold the spare in place in the event of a collision?

Hope this makes sense...

Attachments

• Teslasubtrunk.jpg
    Teslasubtrunk.jpg
    403.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Teslasubtrunk.jpg
    Teslasubtrunk.jpg
    403.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Informative
Reactions: Skavatar
I pulled the trigger.
This week I have a 600 mile drive with my MYP towing the 8 foot uhaul box trailer. I purchased the modern spare kit via Amazon.
If I got a flat, roadside assistance would be a disaster. First stuck on a major interstate waiting for the roadside assistance and then doubt they’d get involved if I have the trailer connected.
With the MS along with tire repair kit, plugs, marker, etc worst case supplies, I have great piece of mind now.

Btw expecting 1/3 to 1/2 off on efficiency or 1/3 to 1/2 off the range. Hoping I’ll experience a number of trailer friendly superchargers.

I’ll report back on how it went.

Reactions: Skavatar
I pulled the trigger.
This week I have a 600 mile drive with my MYP towing the 8 foot uhaul box trailer. I purchased the modern spare kit via Amazon.
If I got a flat, roadside assistance would be a disaster. First stuck on a major interstate waiting for the roadside assistance and then doubt they’d get involved if I have the trailer connected.
With the MS along with tire repair kit, plugs, marker, etc worst case supplies, I have great piece of mind now.

Btw expecting 1/3 to 1/2 off on efficiency or 1/3 to 1/2 off the range. Hoping I’ll experience a number of trailer friendly superchargers.

It is just my wife and I normally. I don't carry the MS around town but on a trip or even a longer drive (like recent 350mi round trips) I put the MS between the front and rear seats, passenger side. I remove the rear head rest, fold down the seat and move the front seat back enough to sort of snug things up. Seems to work well enough.

Reactions: kpanda17
I pulled the trigger.

There will be no need to report back. You now carry a spare.

You will NOT need it! 🤣🤣🤣

HAHA! The joke's on me. Our cars have very different castings in the rear.

No slots in the box beam, no openings except for the clip to secure the trim.

Now I'm wondering if I could attach a hold-down ring to the low corner bolts that hold the actual tub? Can I assume these bolts can be removed temporarily w/o having to access a nut underneath? Would the bolt/threads/sheet metal have enough integrity to hold the spare in place in the event of a collision?

Hope this makes sense...
Yes, looks different. Mine is a 2022 Made in Shanghai (China) LFP battery, RWD and Right-Hand Drive. It's a full giga cast in the rear. Our Model Y's first landed August 2022 and I picked it up in the first week they arrived.

I guess the Fremont, Austin, Shanghai cars all look the same on the outside, but they make running changes as times go on underneath.

IMG_0191.jpeg

giga cast
New one on me. You mean it is actual cast aluminum?

Apparently! Had a wee Google which is what I should have done first.

"To put this into perspective, the Tesla Model 3 required over 170 different pieces of sheet metal and over 1600 welds. In comparison, the Model Y replaces these parts with just a front and rear giga-casting, significantly reducing part count."

I bet the BYD cheapy is one piece by now.

Last edited:
New one on me. You mean it is actual cast aluminum?

Apparently! Had a wee Google which is what I should have done first.

"To put this into perspective, the Tesla Model 3 required over 170 different pieces of sheet metal and over 1600 welds. In comparison, the Model Y replaces these parts with just a front and rear giga-casting, significantly reducing part count."

I bet the BYD cheapy is one piece by now.

Reactions: zoomer0056