Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D LDU failure leak past rotor coolant delete by QCC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wish I had noticed issues with large drive unit earlier, but now out of warranty issue. 2/15 P85D 70988 miles.
$8022 to replace rear drive due to “moisture past RDU cover”. I am guessing it is the coolant past rotor seal failure. My questions: can I ask for my drive unit from Tesla once they replace it? Has anyone done the coolant delete fix from QC charge ($599)? Did Tesla ever have recall or fix for said issue? I honestly can’t believe there hasn’t been a class action. Thanks for your replies.

So I have an idea.. maybe a bit crazy but hey, at this point why not try.. Let me know what you guys are thinking.
So, there are some videos on YT about making the drain holes on the rotor side of the housing. But seems like you have to take apart the motor first in order to do that. I also learned that QC charge offers “storm drain” on the inverter side to prevent the moisture from building up and damaging the electronics, also done by taking apart the motor. I watched some videos where it’s clear that coolant accumulates on the bottom of inverter housing and just evaporates onto electronics.
Here is an idea - why not carefully make a couple of holes in the bottom of the inverter housing without taking the motor out? Can stick two tubes there so no dust gets in. The effort to get that motor out is massive and can’t be done on your own for most of us. But to get access to the bottom of the motor housing is super easy.
The downside is that leaking coolant will still be impacting the bearings and the stator, which could lead to an eventual failure due to rust. But I think the inverter damage is the main reason of the LDU fails.

I got 2014 85 with 150k on the original LDU motor and the seal is definitely leaking (based on the condition of speed sensor). No noise or any issues while driving so far.
Spirited discussion on that topic here Log into Facebook

Upvote 0
I've been searching for other companies who do the coolant delete repair, other than QC Charge, and I can't seem to find lists of them. I'm wondering if I have to go to California, or if there is anyone else nearer?
Do you mean another company that installs a coolant delete device or sells said device?

Also, if you already have coolant in your speed sensor then simply slapping on the coolant delete device will not fix the existing leak. You still would need to address the source of the leak.

In my personal case I had coolant in my speed sensor and a whining sound. After I priced options out between 3rd parties and Tesla, I opted for the entirely new Tesla U "coolant delete" (Tesla calls it seal delete manifold). $6k new, $5200 reman from Tesla. Plus a 4 yr/50k mile warranty. Further, I saved about $2k because I had the work done in Portland, OR (no Fed tax) and was able to keep the old RDU with no core charge. Then I sold the old RDU.

RDU.png422586540_10231545037264909_7400517306544771774_n.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Do you mean another company that installs a coolant delete device or sells said device?
I just mean a place that would do the service. I am not one to venture into working on my drive unit myself, so I have no interest in buying the part.

I opted for the entirely new Tesla U "coolant delete" (Tesla calls it seal delete manifold). $6k new, $5200 reman from Tesla. Plus a 4 yr/50k mile warranty.
I have no idea what ballpark the price of this service would even be to compare it. I sent an email to QCC to ask, since they don't seem to list the price on their website. And I'm pretty sure I would not do that, since I am planning to sell this car fairly soon to get a 2025 Ioniq 5 when they become available, so I'm not looking to put a lot into my S85 for the long term right now.

Further, I saved about $2k because I had the work done in Portland, OR (no Fed tax)
Heh, Portland would only be a one day drive instead of a two day drive for me.

Upvote 0
I just mean a place that would do the service. I am not one to venture into working on my drive unit myself, so I have no interest in buying the part.

I have no idea what ballpark the price of this service would even be to compare it. I sent an email to QCC to ask, since they don't seem to list the price on their website. And I'm pretty sure I would not do that, since I am planning to sell this car fairly soon to get a 2025 Ioniq 5 when they become available, so I'm not looking to put a lot into my S85 for the long term right now.

See your in Boise. I'm not aware of anyone there that would perform a coolant delete installation. I know there are myriad different types of coolant delete device vendors now. Seems to be a new revenue stream. If you want to stay local there may be a 3rd party Tesla Profesional there that would do it.

Upvote 0
After I priced options out between 3rd parties and Tesla, I opted for the entirely new Tesla U "coolant delete" (Tesla calls it seal delete manifold). $6k new, $5200 reman from Tesla. Plus a 4 yr/50k mile warranty. Further, I saved about $2k because I had the work done in Portland, OR (no Fed tax) and was able to keep the old RDU with no core charge. Then I sold the old RDU.
How much were you able to sell the old RDU for?

Upvote 0
What are your main takeaways from the discussions that you’ve seen? Did anyone do it on their own successfully, without taking the motor out?
Actually just went through it.. Seems like no one talks about draining the inverter side except Tony, pushing his updated overpriced cover with a storm drain. I think there is a simplier way to make an inverter side drain, without taking off a motor.

Upvote 0
Actually just went through it.. Seems like no one talks about draining the inverter side except Tony, pushing his updated overpriced cover with a storm drain. I think there is a simplier way to make an inverter side drain, without taking off a motor.
I proactively replaced mine with Tesla's new version. Proactively replacing RDU/LDU

I'm aware many folks are adverse to the $6k for the new (not reman) U version, but to me, if you were comparing to ICE vehicle, I got a new motor and transmission. Further, after getting 3rd party estimates Tesla was about the same cost and that was for a brand new LDU vs reman from 3rd party. Lastly, Tesla offers a 4 yr/50k mile warranty while 3rd parties are 1 year at best.

Attachments

• RDU.png
    RDU.png
    174.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 422586540_10231545037264909_7400517306544771774_n.jpg
    422586540_10231545037264909_7400517306544771774_n.jpg
    585 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
See your in Boise. I'm not aware of anyone there that would perform a coolant delete installation.
I didn't have any hope of anyone actually here in my town, but the only place I can find anyone on this forum mentioning is QC Charge, and they are all the way down in (basically) San Diego. If I could find somewhere in Salt Lake City, Portland, or Seattle, that would be more reasonable.

Upvote 0
I didn't have any hope of anyone actually here in my town, but the only place I can find anyone on this forum mentioning is QC Charge, and they are all the way down in (basically) San Diego. If I could find somewhere in Salt Lake City, Portland, or Seattle, that would be more reasonable.
QC Charge is also in Portland. One of Tony's employees, Alex Bessinger, just opened up a franchise in Portland. Tell Alex I said hi.

Screenshot 2024-05-16 073716.png

Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
Also, remember that if you currently have a coolant leak, simply slapping on an aftermarket coolant delete product will not solve any existing coolant leak issue. Any existing coolant leak will need to be mitigated. especially if coolant has reached the inverter.

Upvote 0
I proactively replaced mine with Tesla's new version. Proactively replacing RDU/LDU

I'm aware many folks are adverse to the $6k for the new (not reman) U version, but to me, if you were comparing to ICE vehicle, I got a new motor and transmission. Further, after getting 3rd party estimates Tesla was about the same cost and that was for a brand new LDU vs reman from 3rd party. Lastly, Tesla offers a 4 yr/50k mile warranty while 3rd parties are 1 year at best.
Yeah makes perfect sense to me. I just listed my still working motor on eBay and Craigslist. Once I find the buyer they can actually see that it still works perfectly while in the car, and then I’ll go to Tesla, pay 6k for a replacement and will give an old one to the buyer right at the service center.

Reactions: MP3Mike and NV Ray
Upvote 0

if u selling soon, i'd suggest just drilling a weep hole, took me all like 30min to do it
that will extend the life by a lot esp if its not leaking yet

for installing actual bypass manifold (or DIY it) it will just take the labor hours of removing/installing LDU
its pretty invasive job, remove the whole subframe first then pull LDU out...
I'd give myself like 8hrs at least for 1st time doing it

There're few DIY ppl in Seattle/Portland area ;)

Upvote 0
150k on the
if u selling soon, i'd suggest just drilling a weep hole, took me all like 30min to do it
that will extend the life by a lot esp if its not leaking yet

for installing actual bypass manifold (or DIY it) it will just take the labor hours of removing/installing LDU
its pretty invasive job, remove the whole subframe first then pull LDU out...
I'd give myself like 8hrs at least for 1st time doing it

There're few DIY ppl in Seattle/Portland area ;)
Can you share a link with the instructions that helped you with drilling a weep hole? Wouldn't want to mess it up if I go for it..

Upvote 0
150k on the

Can you share a link with the instructions that helped you with drilling a weep hole? Wouldn't want to mess it up if I go for it..
nothing really besides Pauls post on fb
just need to have some mechanical skills n knowledge

1715970178787.png

Upvote 0
nothing really besides Pauls post on fb
just need to have some mechanical skills n knowledge

View attachment 1048131

Did you make just one hole? On this photo someone also drained the bottom. Also what you're thinking about making a drain hole under inverter? The trapped moisture there is a common failure point but I can't find anyone who tried making a drain there without taking out the motor.

Attachments

• 431185417_25489133690677769_1984125318025821298_n.jpg
    431185417_25489133690677769_1984125318025821298_n.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 0