Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: let's build the Robotaxi

What will the Robotaxi consist of?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sliding doors are a totally complete technology. I agree they are very reliable, very safe (they won't close if put against a significant force), and also alleviate the odds of hitting things beyond 6-8 inches from the car. I am convinced the only reason we don't use them more is because people have insecurities about driving "minivans". They are fantastic in actual use.
harder to have windows that roll down with a slider.

Why? They roll down on minivans.
that must be new. Usually the wire connection to handle power for windows can't be articulated/lengthened for sliders, vs in the hinge in regular doors where length change is small.

But a pure robotaxi probably won't have power windows, or any open/close windows at all, just interior vents. One sliding door. One cross facing seat on the opposite side. One forward facing seat bench

People are assholes, and when there is no human driver there will be lots of damage, indifference and even vandalism. Robotaxi drive-by shooting?

Theyre going to need hose-down steam-proof vinyl bench interiors for the party crowd. I think the robo services are going to find they're going to need ultra-cheap and ultra-robust cars to be able to be profitable, and it will be like taking a super-budget airline or a bus.

Nicer taxis are going to have human "drivers/conductors" to keep the cars nice. A camera monitoring is not the same deterrence as a person.

Last edited:
that must be new. Usually the wire connection to handle power for windows can't be articulated/lengthened for sliders, vs in the hinge in regular doors where length change is small.

But a pure robotaxi probably won't have power windows, or any open/close windows at all, just interior vents. People are assholes, and when there is no human driver there will be lots of damage, indifference and even vandalism. Robotaxi drive-by shooting?

Theyre going to need hose-down steam-proof vinyl bench interiors for the party crowd. I think the robo services are going to find they're going to need ultra-cheap and ultra-robust cars to be able to be profitable, and it will be like taking a super-budget airline or a bus.

Nicer taxis are going to have human "drivers/conductors" to keep the cars nice. A camera monitoring is not the same deterrence as a person.
Ah. I think I've noticed the wiring before. Here's a picture of it. It needs to be about half the slide length.
1715986296478.png

that looks like something that will break easily or be cut on an unattended robotaxi
I think it's pretty hard to get at (it's between the door and the side of car.)
Someone here with a minivan can probably chime in but I expect you'd need a metal rod to get at it and if the vehicle needs to be metal rod resistant from the inside that's going to be pretty tough!