Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power trunk retrofit causing car awake

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got back from getting the retrofit done and I was told AFTER the installation was completed that there was a firmware related issue and that they had to keep something unplugged until a fix was deployed for HVAC related issues. They did tell me that they would send someone out to "plug it in" once they have a fix.

Now reading through this thread, I really wish I had held off on getting this done. As someone who doesn't have home charging, the car not going to sleep absolutely terrifies me.

I just got back from getting the retrofit done and I was told AFTER the installation was completed that there was a firmware related issue and that they had to keep something unplugged until a fix was deployed for HVAC related issues. They did tell me that they would send someone out to "plug it in" once they have a fix.

Now reading through this thread, I really wish I had held off on getting this done. As someone who doesn't have home charging, the car not going to sleep absolutely terrifies me.
Positive side, at least it sounds like they unplugged this part which will allow the car to sleep and not have issues. You do lose the function to close the trunk from the screen or app but you can open the trunk from them. Are you able to test and see if you can open/close from the screen still?

Does it suck, absolutely.

Positive side, at least it sounds like they unplugged this part which will allow the car to sleep and not have issues. You do lose the function to close the trunk from the screen or app but you can open the trunk from them. Are you able to test and see if you can open/close from the screen still?

They told me that I am able to: open the trunk with the screen/app automatically, but will only be able to close it by manually pressing the physical button on the trunk lid.

They really should put in a stop sale on the option until the firmware is fixed. Not sure if you ordered on an order page or directly by using service request. If service request, it's possible they did delist it, but the service folks might not see the message or missed it.

Reactions: szez42
Interesting. And do you still have full control of your power trunk (i.e. you can close it remotely via the app and/or the in-car screen)? That would imply that they didn't have to disconnect the wiring harness that the rest of us have. If this is so, it might be time for me to contact Tesla Service to see about getting my liftgate control module "refreshed".
Any updates on this by any chance?

They really should put in a stop sale on the option until the firmware is fixed. Not sure if you ordered on an order page or directly by using service request. If service request, it's possible they did delist it, but the service folks might not see the message or missed it.
I don't disagree. Very questionable they are installing the retrofit and then telling owners there's an ongoing issue. I did mine through the app many months ago when it first was released though and was working 100% fine up until the 2024.8.9 or whatever update.

Now I'm a bit worried. 4% overnight range loss (sentry mode off).

I did my retrofit back in Sept in Canada, and the following problems start happening after a SW update in early March

1. PCS_a022 error causing power drain (every 10 mins or so, the car can't sleep, constant popping sound from the battery), regardless whether the car was plugged in or not.
  2. Solid red light at the charge port after overnight schedule charging - subsequent charging fails unless I manually unplug then plug the charging connector.
  3. intermittent climate keeper unavailable - no air from the HVAC
The first time I reported these issues to the service center, they told me it is FW issue which would resolve in the next software update, and the red light at the charge port was related to my wall connector. The didn't fix anything and returned the car back to me on the same day.

Upon further debugging and some online research on my own, I found several articles in forums suggesting power trunk retrofit could be the cause of all these issues.

I left the trunk open overnight and the PCS_a022 errors disappeared and the power drain stopped. The charge port did not show red light at the T logo anymore.

I also tried charging with my mobile connector, i saw the same issue. When charging another Tesla with my wall connector, everything was normal. So I was 100% certain that the charge port issue lied with the car, not my wall connector.

A few days ago I took the car to the service center for the 2nd time with all these findings and online articles, they then claimed that they had spoken with the engineering team, and got a firmware for the power trunk retrofit module. They flashed the firmware and the PCS_a022 error has disappeared, the power drain has stopped and the climate has been working as well. Everything is back to normal.

I hope this information will help others with similar issue. It is very hard for the average users like us and the technicians at the service center to debug an software issue like this one.

I did my retrofit back in Sept in Canada, and the following problems start happening after a SW update in early March

1. PCS_a022 error causing power drain (every 10 mins or so, the car can't sleep, constant popping sound from the battery), regardless whether the car was plugged in or not.
  2. Solid red light at the charge port after overnight schedule charging - subsequent charging fails unless I manually unplug then plug the charging connector.
  3. intermittent climate keeper unavailable - no air from the HVAC
The first time I reported these issues to the service center, they told me it is FW issue which would resolve in the next software update, and the red light at the charge port was related to my wall connector. The didn't fix anything and returned the car back to me on the same day.

Upon further debugging and some online research on my own, I found several articles in forums suggesting power trunk retrofit could be the cause of all these issues.

I left the trunk open overnight and the PCS_a022 errors disappeared and the power drain stopped. The charge port did not show red light at the T logo anymore.

I also tried charging with my mobile connector, i saw the same issue. When charging another Tesla with my wall connector, everything was normal. So I was 100% certain that the charge port issue lied with the car, not my wall connector.

A few days ago I took the car to the service center for the 2nd time with all these findings and online articles, they then claimed that they had spoken with the engineering team, and got a firmware for the power trunk retrofit module. They flashed the firmware and the PCS_a022 error has disappeared, the power drain has stopped and the climate has been working as well. Everything is back to normal.

I hope this information will help others with similar issue. It is very hard for the average users like us and the technicians at the service center to debug an software issue like this one.
Which service centre was this? Toronto Railside? I might want to book a service appointment and try to get this new firmware too.

What's the version number for this firmware, as currently shown on your app? Or is this some kind of special-request version that cannot be installed through normal update push?

And yes, it's madness for an average user to go through all these hoops and rabbit holes to eventually inform the service center technicians. Not looking forward to the potential future exposures to more bugs as software grows...

What's the version number for this firmware, as currently shown on your app? Or is this some kind of special-request version that cannot be installed through normal update push?

And yes, it's madness for an average user to go through all these hoops and rabbit holes to eventually inform the service center technicians. Not looking forward to the potential future exposures to more bugs as software grows...
The SW version number didn't get updated (2024.3.25). I was told by the SC that it was a firmware solely for the trunk module only. I was also told the future SW update would include this FW so this "special" FW would not be reverted.

• Helpful
I had the same PCS_a022 error along with a RCM_a056 - Front passenger safety restraint system fault.

When I brought the car to the service center, they offered the workaround mentioned here for the PCS_a022. However, I declined it as I wanted to it myself — I didn’t feel like having to go back there when they have to reconnect it.

But, miracle, after the fix for the RCM_a056, I haven’t seen the PCS_a022 anymore. It’s been 7 days now.

From the invoice, this what they actioned on the car:
  • Retrofit SBR in OCS Equipped Front Passenger Seat - Remove and Replace
  • Replace Front Passenger Airbag And Update Vehicle Configuration - Remove and Replace
The car’s software version remain unchanged.

Last edited:
Interesting. And do you still have full control of your power trunk (i.e. you can close it remotely via the app and/or the in-car screen)? That would imply that they didn't have to disconnect the wiring harness that the rest of us have. If this is so, it might be time for me to contact Tesla Service to see about getting my liftgate control module "refreshed".
Yes, I can open and close it remotely.

This is pretty frustrating; SC asked me to drive by to detach a connector to prevent the battery drain issues (even though they had previously told me they left it unplugged). Now even with it unplugged, I am still seeing a 4% battery drain overnight. If I do some napkin math, this would equate to around 56% loss of range every week... which is the frequency in which I charge the car.

The time and money that I have wasted on this retrofit just to have a degraded quality of life is absolutely unacceptable. They even had the audacity at one point to tell me that the 3-4% range loss per night was "normal".

For those who had this retrofit done prior to the firmware issues... did you see increased battery drain when the car was in standby? This can't be normal...