Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recurring Loud Creaking Noise in Front Suspension / Steering Column

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone confirm if this is the creaking sound?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NQKMnshzgNacC7yEA

Hey! I just bought a used 2017 Tesla X and it has a *really* bad case of creaking like this! Exact same sound as in that video, except I'd say mine is worse. It makes that same noise coming from, I think, the front driver-side wheel area, but also makes a loud groaning/creaking sound as you turn the wheel, whether the vehicle is in motion or not.

The only time it doesn't make noise is while driving at highway speeds, really.

The bad part is, until Tesla finishes registering the X under my name, I can't even get them to service it for me! I'm hoping this noise doesn't indicate that it's unsafe to drive it.

So I had creaking like this happening twice more since the last time, and each for a different reason.
  1. Within 3 months of ownership, steering lock-to-lock creaking, loose bash plate, Tesla tightened.
  2. After 10 months of ownership (12,000 miles), horrible creaking when accelerating and braking. Tesla identified as axle splines not being properly lubricated. They lubricated them, creaking fixed.
  3. Front wheels seem to creak when parking. Tesla replaced one wheel hub/bearing assembly. It has reduced the creaking a bit. Perhaps they will need to replace the other one as well.

Well, just to update this? After driving the Model X around quite a bit yesterday, in the rain? It quieted down considerably. I barely hear more than a couple of small creaks when turning the wheel, and other than the normal sounds you get from brakes when stopping quickly? The only other noise I hear now is that small creak coming from the front driver's side wheel area whenever I go over a bump. (Sounds like a squeaky spring or something.)

I didn't take the car anyplace today (working from home today), but tomorrow I'll see if the noises have come back or not. (I'm curious if whatever was making all the steering noise temporarily quieted down just because it got wet and that acted like a lubricant? Or ... maybe it just got enough use so some surface rust wore off of some suspension part?)

After watching a few YouTube videos on this stuff, though? I'm somewhat confident the squeaks I hear going over bumps are due to a bad front suspension control link. That part is actually fairly easy to replace as a DIY thing, other than the difficulties jacking up the car on both sides, in front. (All I own is a single speed jack that's probably not even rated for a vehicle as heavy as a Model X, and I don't own a good set of jack stands. So I'd need those first.) But it looks like on a Model S or an X, it's just a rod you unbolt on both ends and remove/replace, really. No need to disassemble anything else to get to it.

I have a 2017 model x that I just got ( New to me) has about 30k miles on it. I too have the metallic sound attached is a short video. I’m no expert at making video so apologies in advance. Also do skip the sound of the tire

That metallic sound is different than what I was experiencing. The service center got mine resolved. It was a bad upper control arm on the driver's side. As I've read more about it on other forums, I've run across a lot of that. Convinced the control arms on the Tesla S and X are kind of a weak spot. Tesla says hitting potholes and curbs causes it, which I'm sure it can. But most vehicles don't have these same failures until they've got much higher mileage on them - so my guess is, the parts aren't really strong enough for as heavy as these vehicles are.

I am troubleshooting a creaking from my front left. I have already replaced the Fore Link, now I am going to replace the Aft Link, there are numerous bushings that could be the culprit.

I have been chasing this creaking sound on our Model X for several months. We are also owners of an MS and M3, so the creaking sound in our MX was very noticeable and pronounced compared to the other cars. On the first trip to the Service Center in November , the technicians replaced the steering rack and the fore and aft links. They thought they cleared the problem but the noise was still there when I got home so I brought the car back this week for another look. They called this second service visit a Category 1 Diagnosis where the service technicians collaborate with the Fremont Tesla engineering team to determine the exact root cause and corrective action. We looked at all the possible solutions listed on this thread: upper control arms, bash plate, bushings, fore/aft links, steering rack. After two days at the Service Center, the issue was determined to be an under-torqued tie rod end on the drivers side. Hard to believe this torque issue with the tie rod end was overlooked in the previous service visit and not mentioned in this thread. Our technicians at the San Diego Miramar Service Center have always been a pleasure to work with and this visit has been no different. Excerpts for all the work performed are in the snapshots below. I hope others will find this post useful if they are experiencing the unexplainable creaking sounds in the front suspension of their MX. Our MX is a Dec 2017 build with 36K miles.

6D00D009-96B8-4A75-94DA-6AD6707B810E.jpeg
E2A0AF81-1724-4902-84F4-D9808D3E6510.png

6CDB1AA8-7168-4466-A4F1-CEE14B19ED51.jpeg

Reactions: thevaibhav
I have been chasing this creaking sound on our Model X for several months. We are also owners of an MS and M3, so the creaking sound in our MX was very noticeable and pronounced compared to the other cars. On the first trip to the Service Center in November , the technicians replaced the steering rack and the fore and aft links. They thought they cleared the problem but the noise was still there when I got home so I brought the car back this week for another look. They called this second service visit a Category 1 Diagnosis where the service technicians collaborate with the Fremont Tesla engineering team to determine the exact root cause and corrective action. We looked at all the possible solutions listed on this thread: upper control arms, bash plate, bushings, fore/aft links, steering rack. After two days at the Service Center, the issue was determined to be an under-torqued tie rod end on the drivers side. Hard to believe this torque issue with the tie rod end was overlooked in the previous service visit and not mentioned in this thread. Our technicians at the San Diego Miramar Service Center have always been a pleasure to work with and this visit has been no different. Excerpts for all the work performed are in the snapshots below. I hope others will find this post useful if they are experiencing the unexplainable creaking sounds in the front suspension of their MX. Our MX is a Dec 2017 build with 36K miles.

View attachment 485236 View attachment 485237
View attachment 485235

This was very helpful, they replaced the Fore links on mine as well.. this was after the 4th visit ! but they said it was a micro crack that was causing the sound.. glad that its quiet now..

Our car is back at the service center after the creak returned a week later. The creak is louder than ever now. Already had the Fore Links and Aft Links replaced after the first visit. Now back for round 3 at the service center.

Aftet 3 visits to chase this noise the service team isolated the problem back to the bash plate. They placed some nylon shims between the metal and all is quiet now. Attached are the service notes.

12FB80F7-0896-411F-9505-4D6710E61645.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus