Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spontaneously Cracked Windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2016 X developed a crack centered right through the camera / sensor point in the middle of the windshield about 3 weeks ago.

There was no impact, this seems to have happened spontaneously while parked at home in CT and there is nothing to feel on the outside of the glass. Can't feel it on the inside either b/c I have a tinted windshield but that's not a new feature. The windshield has been tinted for several years now.

Is there a heater or something on the camera mount? That's about the only thing I can think of that could have caused this. It was cold outside when it happened.
I don't know about 2016 but my 2023 does have defroster lines where the camera is.

They will replace it. I don't think you understand my point. The windshield cracks have begin at the same point and the fractures show it is stress from that exact point (yes, I am an engineer). It is about repeatedly replacing the windshield. This will be #4 on a car bought Sept. 2023 new.
Would not hurt to call a lemon lawyer to see if this is a lemonable issue in your state.

Reactions: Smh2210
IMG_2355.png

Looking at the damage, it seems to be along the exact edge of the heat wires. The crack started in the middle and has now spread in both directions on the windshield so there was no impact obvious that started this.

It was not.
Was the sun shade used?
Here is what Tesla found after #4 windshield was installed (3 in 6 months). I pushed them to look for a reason. From Service Center when I asked for progress on this today during replacement: "The technician is about to set the new piece of glass. He found a body seam that was putting pressure on the glass in that area where it cracked and has adjusted the seam sot it's no longer applying that pressure." Note: the windshield has snapped at that location multiple times. Fingers crossed this is the last windshield.

"has adjusted the seam so it is no longer applying that pressure" Translation: He got a hammer and a grinder and cleaned it flat like it SHOULD have been from the start.

Good luck, here's hoping. You definitely had a defect happening that it kept breaking at the same exact spot. I haven't tried getting mine done yet, but since I'm out of warranty it will be an insurance thing anyway. I know Tesla aren't going to pay for it at all.

I'm more annoyed that now I have to get those 3 acres of glass tinted again, that was like $300 just for the windshield piece on my sister's X (mine was already done when I bought it) and they had a bugger of a time getting it to fit right.

"has adjusted the seam so it is no longer applying that pressure" Translation: He got a hammer and a grinder and cleaned it flat like it SHOULD have been from the start.

Good luck, here's hoping. You definitely had a defect happening that it kept breaking at the same exact spot. I haven't tried getting mine done yet, but since I'm out of warranty it will be an insurance thing anyway. I know Tesla aren't going to pay for it at all.

I'm more annoyed that now I have to get those 3 acres of glass tinted again, that was like $300 just for the windshield piece on my sister's X (mine was already done when I bought it) and they had a bugger of a time getting it to fit right.
Fingers crossed - thx. This may explain other X's having same issue if a manufacturing issue / flaw for some X's during production. Hope to help others if this is a thing.....