Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Wheel Centered?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Resist

Mar 24, 2019
California
Back in 2018 I had a Model 3 which was damaged when someone hit it. After the repair they did a 4 wheel alignment and when I received it I noticed the steering wheel was not centered when driving straight, it was slightly turned to the right. So I had Tesla do the alignment again to fix it, but it still wasn't centered. They ended up doing it 3 times and still couldn't center the steering wheel. It amazed me because it's not a complication thing to fix. I eventually just lived with it and traded it in on a new 2023 Model Y Performance. Now I'm seeing the exact same thing, the steering wheel is slightly turned to the right. I had thought that maybe it was an illusion because of how the dash trim curves but used a yard stick and set it on the top of the display, which is level, I clearly could see that the steering wheel is turned to the right slightly. Little things like this really bug me while driving. If only the car had steer by wire then I bet we could adjust this ourselves in seconds. So is anyone else noticing their steering wheel isn't centered?

Our new 2022 MYLR was pulling to the left and the steering wheel was centered to the right. Local SC corrected the pull but didn't center the wheel. They got it right the second time. Wheel should be centered before aligning. Seems to be a common problem with Teslas.

Our new 2022 MYLR was pulling to the left and the steering wheel was centered to the right. Local SC corrected the pull but didn't center the wheel. They got it right the second time. Wheel should be centered before aligning. Seems to be a common problem with Teslas.
Agreed. Poorly trained techs

I've never used any dealership of any brand to do alignment work for me. I've always used independent suspension shops.

Crazy question. Is the steering wheel not centered or the 2 stalks not at the same level? Mine has that and gives an illusion that the wheel is not straight.
My steering wheel is not centered, I don't even look at the stalks to see that. As I said, I even used a yard stick to see it wasn't level with the top of the display (which is level). In addition I used another level put across the center of the two steering wheel knobs. The level on the steering wheel was tilted higher on the left side, which shows the steering wheel was slightly turned to the right with the wheels dead straight ahead.