Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Streaming Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tunein radio would not play as I left my drineway yesterday. This happens now and then when the car switches over from my wifi to LTE. This time, after being on LTE for a few miles I figured that there was a service interruption and not the fault of the car; no big deal. I tried switching over to the music ap to see if streaming was affected there; it ususlly is not working there too. However, it was working this time. I always thought that the streaming radio and music originated from the same service.

Since observing this separate behavior I'm wondering what service provides the music. Can someone explain this to me?

In the US its Slacker, which became LiveOne:

Screenshot 2024-05-16 at 7.40.45 PM.png

Reactions: dusty22
Sometimes it's just glitchy. Especially during the handoff from WiFi to cellular (as you've discovered).

Technically yes, Slacker/Live One and TuneIn are two separate providers, but it's pretty rare for either to be completely down. The TuneIn app seems to be more sensitive than Slacker though. One time after it finally connected it exhibited very strange behavior including "skipping". Additionally, with TuneIn you have the individual radio station providers' feeds that occasionally get messed up, so there are two possible points of failure there.

It's a bit like how on a smart TV you have different apps for Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, etc. Each app is written by its respective company and has varying levels of quality/usability.

Additionally, with TuneIn you have the individual radio station providers' feeds that occasionally get messed up, so there are two possible points of failure there.

It's a bit like how on a smart TV you have different apps for Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, etc. Each app is written by its respective company and has varying levels of quality/usability.

I was thinking of that when it happened so I tried a bunch of radio stations and all of them were out.

Since you mention the apps, what service transmits those to the car? I have seen some say that they are related to the Tesla browser. If they are, I'm wondering how they work so well. The browser seems very challenged to display content of some websites and sometimes crashes. How could it deal with the content of movies, YouTube etc.?

I was thinking of that when it happened so I tried a bunch of radio stations and all of them were out.

Since you mention the apps, what service transmits those to the car? I have seen some say that they are related to the Tesla browser. If they are, I'm wondering how they work so well. The browser seems very challenged to display content of some websites and sometimes crashes. How could it deal with the content of movies, YouTube etc.?

The apps themselves are downloaded to the car with the regular software updates. They are only related to the Tesla browser in the sense that the Tesla browser itself is an app that is downloaded.

That said, the browser and the other apps themselves probably make use of some underlying OS utilities such as audio and video codecs, but I get the sense you were wondering if the apps themselves are running in the browser, and no, I don't believe this is the case.

Reactions: dusty22