Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Super Heavy/Starship - General Development Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This SpaceX application for Starship ops at the Cape, shown in a Scientia Plus video, indicates that a future version of the booster will have 35 engines.

IMG_0781.jpeg

I was curious to see the rest of that document. Here's the link (it doesn't preview well in the forum as a document).

The expanded scope of operations that SpaceX is after will require an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS).

The EIS will evaluate the potential environmental impacts associated with air quality; biological resources (including fish, wildlife, and plants); climate; coastal resources; Department of Transportation Act, Section 4(f); farmlands; hazardous materials, solid waste, and pollution prevention; historical, architectural, archeological and cultural resources; land use; natural resources and energy supply; noise and noise-compatible land use; socioeconomics, environmental justice, and children's health and safety risks; visual effects; and water resources (including wetlands, floodplains, surface waters, groundwater, and wild and scenic rivers). This analysis will consist of an evaluation of potential direct and indirect impacts and will account for cumulative impacts from other relevant activities in the vicinity of the action.

Ship 31 is at Massey's and was going through a cryo test when there was an electrical short of some sort. Lots of arcing and flashes from about halfway down the vehicle. The vehicle had a full load of LOX at the time. They did an immediate and lengthy depress. No explosion. No fire. Vehicle still intact.

It happened at 7:47:06 CDT in the live stream. It's a long shot, so don't expect much detail. I'm sure we'll see a dedicated video for the event.

I guess the next thing is to bring the ship back to the build site for repairs.

I wonder if this is related to the loss of Ship 25 during IFT-2 when they had a fire and explosion during LOX venting. Perhaps Starship has a basic problem with shorting of electrical connections in the raceway, and when enough oxygen reaches the site of a short, you get this. Perhaps we didn't see an explosion this time because air is predominantly nitrogen.

If so, this test may be a real boon to development because now they have a vehicle that survived this event. Certainly there was no physical inspection of Ship 25 after its problem.

I wonder if this is related to the loss of Ship 25 during IFT-2 when they had a fire and explosion during LOX venting. Perhaps Starship has a basic problem with shorting of electrical connections in the raceway, and when enough oxygen reaches the site of a short, you get this. Perhaps we didn't see an explosion this time because air is predominantly nitrogen.

If so, this test may be a real boon to development because now they have a vehicle that survived this event. Certainly there was no physical inspection of Ship 25 after its problem.
"A shocking development that'll spark an investigation." - YT comment.. :)