Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is removing Steam capabilities from future Model S & X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1715961319823.png

I wonder why, also wonder if this will eventually affect vehicles that already have steam installed?

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
I dont think its an issue with Steam but more of an issue with game streaming service. I've tried alot of them and if you dont have a super sold ethernet connection then the games are pretty much unplayable. I heard Steam on Tesla is not native, it runs off a virtual machine and uses gamestream. So the unreliable connection and latency is the main factor. Game stream is never going to take off with our current wifi speeds. Just look at what happened to google Stadia. Not everyone has access to a solid ethernet connection. Even with ethernet 1g speeds it still lags and not as good as playing natively. .

Last edited:
I dont think its an issue with Steam but more of an issue with game streaming service. I've tried alot of them and if you dont have a super sold ethernet connection then the games are pretty much unplayable. I heard Steam on Tesla is not native, it runs off a virtual machine and uses gamestream. So the unreliable connection and latency is the main factor. Game stream is never going to take off with our current wifi speeds. Just look at what happened to google Stadia. Not everyone has access to a solid ethernet connection. Even with ethernet 1g speeds it still lags and not as good as playing natively. .
That only makes sense for online games. What about the games you have downloaded in your steam library that doesn't require online?

I got a theory. Based on the information given
“Tesla is updating the gaming computer in your Model X and your vehicle is no longer capable of playing Steam games. All other entertainment and app functionalities are unaffected.”
and also
the later claiming that Model Y have less RAM and implying it has not support for Steam.

Does anybody know if Model Y doesnt have support for steam?

My theory is that if the later is true then Tesla is cost cutting on the HW4 for MX (whatabout MS?) and that explains the message.

IF true then it would mean a huge question for all gamers is, will Tesla continue support for steam on MS/X for existing cars with support today
Did anyone owning a HW4 get some kind of marketing claiming it will always be there when buying, or does it come with a disclaimer that Tesla might simply remove it?

If it is less Ram in the MCU, it's more decontenting, so it's more cost saving for Tesla. Seems to be the Tesla way. The Big 3 were famous for removing stuff and decontenting back in the 70s. Didn't work out so well for them and they had to stop that sh$t back then.