Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While Ford is selling millions of pickup trucks per year, producing a few thousand EV trucks is not mass production, it is simply irrelevant.
How are they going to reconcile the above numbers with their promise to Biden to reach 50% EV sales ?
Are they going to drop their ICE sales below 80k per year ? I sincerely hope they do, but I am not holding my breath.
Whoever is reaching 100k/year first will be the first milestone towards making an actual impact, my bet that will be Tesla.

Ford didn't promise to reach 50% BEV sales in each subcategory.

I do believe Ford will cease production of low end inexpensive ICEv that don't make any money. They were made for compliance reasons. Ford will replace those with profitable high end BEVs.

BTW in 2019 for sold a total of 5.36M vehicles including ~950k F Series pickups and ~100k Rangers. Ford doesn't sell "millions of pickups." With the compact Maverick it might sell an additional 200k pickups where the base powertrain gets 40 MPG city.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Skryll
Two years ago my Roth IRA was worth $100,000*. Now it is worth $2,000,000* because I invested it all in TSLA. I have paid zero dollars in taxes on those gains. Do all you Bernie-bashers think that is fair? Of course it is not. The wealthy clearly need to be taxed more. The vast majority of us are not working like Elon to earn our money.

*(These are not the actual numbers but the percentage increase in value is about right).

And since this is political, like most of today's posts, I will delete it shortly. I just wish we had more mods around to delete all the other political posts I just had to scroll through. Seems odd that only one side of the political argument earlier this week got put on vacation (the mule) and not the other side (the duke).
Actually no, this is not political and it is fair. The Roth IRA was set up decades ago and set up with the rules that a Roth IRA would be funded with post tax earnings and would be able to grow tax free and spent tax free. It is available to anyone earning a pay check. This is something the IRS agreed to. It would be unfair if the rules got changed on the people who are already participating.

The gains on an IRA get taxed. The gains in a Roth do not. It's fair because those are the rules. I bet you can't screenshot a portion of your account to prove you have a Roth. I think you're full of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looked at that consumers list floating around again and looked at it from the point of view of what else I would consider buying. Still the only other car we would (and now have on order) is a model Y. But then again, if they open up Superchargers to all the other brands, that’s a whole different story. Pretty big field then.

JMHO but I think Tesla needs to be very careful how they open the Superchargers up. That’s a pretty big moat.

Look at the price for what you actually get and how the car drives (unless you for some silly reason don't care about that).. Don't forget to include how well the software works and whether the car will get added functionality with age. And, remember, the prices you see listed as the MSRP starting price are not typically what most people actually pay.

Last edited:
I so look forward to Monday’s open.
Even a down day will be better than this OT bickering.

Unfortunately, a down day will beget more negativity and doom and gloom. Some people will never be satisfied.

An outside observer looking in would be wondering why the people who caught one of the hottest stocks of the Millennium are so dour. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
You have a weird definition of "PITA". Tesla is one of my favorite investments ever even if I have a couple that have had better returns. Of course I learned to accept volatility on my high flyers decades ago.
Nope it's the right definition. My second biggest holding is AMD. That company is on autopilot. Even during max FUD, there were like a handful of articles. Never I need to read news about every fire, ap crash, media lies, Elon swinging at politicians, some lady making t-shirts about Tesla brake issues, list goes on and on. It's more engaging that's for sure, but also a pia.

• Funny
Reactions: navguy12
Stealth does not like the truth but the truth is that sometimes Tesla lets a sloppy car leave the factory. Sandy Munro found plenty of WTF in both cars but he still is a huge fan.

I LOVE the truth. What are you talking about? The subject was whether Tesla warranties their cars to be squeak and rattle free as they age. the answer, as with all car makes I'm familiar with, is a resounding "No". They do often go above and beyond the terms of the warranty and fix such things under goodwill, particularly when the car is new.

I'm not sure where that comment came from.

Perhaps we were stupid enough to tell the wife how much we had.
She is now reminding us of her one word comment.

SELL !

Until it goes back up, we will hear it every single day.

I cannot be responsible for negative spouses. Fortunately, I got one of the good ones! Because I couldn't accept that kind of lunacy.

Last edited:
Nope it's the right definition. My second biggest holding is AMD. That company is on autopilot. Even during max FUD, there were like a handful of articles. Never I need to read news about every fire, ap crash, media lies, Elon swinging at politicians, some lady making t-shirts about Tesla brake issues, list goes on and on. It's more engaging that's for sure, but also a pia.

I found an old share certificate from one of AMD splits. Somehow half the stock never made it through a transfer of brokerages so it's just a certificate sitting in a drawer! I forget we had it.

Gotta love that!

I still disagree that TSLA is a PITA of an investment. It's one of the ones I have been the most confident of and the least worried about. Of course I've found I tend to have a bigger time horizon than many -I like to look forward 2-4 years, at least as well I can see that far forward. I don't sweat the shorter-term gyrations. It's much better that way, you should try it. Of course it might make it more difficult to feel like a "professional investor" but, from what I've seen of most Wall Street Pro's over the years, that's a good thing! 🤫

If you are a HODLer why do you have to follow the news? What are you doing with the information from the news? Are you trying to sell the ups and buy the downs?

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger