Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Walk away lock works 50% of the time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Latest update:

I've noticed something interesting. Again, apologies if this is well-understood behavior and discussed already in other places, but...

I can work around this problem by re-shutting the driver's door. It works like this:
  1. Put car in "Park", get out, shut door. Headlights are on, screen on, car seems to not be aware I've gotten out.
  2. Open the door again. Headlights go out.
  3. Close door, screen goes off. As I walk away, horn blips and mirrors fold as expected.
I've repeated this now over 20 times.

WTH? Did I set something or is this some new default?

Reactions: heymull
Latest update:

I've noticed something interesting. Again, apologies if this is well-understood behavior and discussed already in other places, but...

I can work around this problem by re-shutting the driver's door. It works like this:
  1. Put car in "Park", get out, shut door. Headlights are on, screen on, car seems to not be aware I've gotten out.
  3. Close door, screen goes off. As I walk away, horn blips and mirrors fold as expected.

For headlights, try the headlights after exit setting? But the screen should turn off if it properly detects you have exited. And that setting shouldn't prevent the car from locking (at which point headlights turn off).

Maybe check your sear sensor in service mode as others mentioned.

You can also see the app and see if it is an issue with your door ajar sensor. If during your first shutting of the door, it still shows the door is ajar in the app, then that is your problem.

Have you switched on "exclude home" for walk away lock feature. And if so, are you travelling within 500m radius of your home 50% of the time? When you check exclude home, the car will think you're home even though you are at the shopping center 500m from you home. Try turning it off (all for profiles including easy access profile)

Latest update:

I've been testing your door open-close-open again method --- it is working. This seems to indicate the seat-sensor is not at fault, unless this method overcomes that issue.

Latest update:

You hitting the brake while you get out of the seat? Some people push off the brake.

If you are a brake pusher you are turning the car on after you lift out of the seat. Pushing the brake overrides the logic of the seat sensor. The car turns on and assumes someone is still inside until you open and close the door again. Don't push the brake while getting out.

Other possibility is your seat sensor is broken.

Reactions: heymull
No, I am not hitting the brake pedal on the way out. I am using the twice-close door method and that seems to work.

Do you know where "service mode" is reached (the car, the app?) or how to test the sear sensor with an ohmmeter, assuming that it is possible? I have searched and searched. thanks!