Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Work in progress: stalks on 2021 Model S. (and optional round-y wheel)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How are they holding up? Any more insight into the turn signals? If you do a momentary press and you have the auto cancel turned on, will it work the same as if you pressed the button on the wheel?
It seems to work the same as the wheel. I have not tried turning off auto cancel, so can't speak to that.
Mostly works well. I wish it was a bit more sensitive. I need to make sure I fully engage the gear stalk to activate. I had it not change gears until I really focused on it.

• Helpful
Reactions: strider
It seems to work the same as the wheel. I have not tried turning off auto cancel, so can't speak to that.
Mostly works well. I wish it was a bit more sensitive. I need to make sure I fully engage the gear stalk to activate. I had it not change gears until I really focused on it.
Im really excited about all this but when you say it is insensitive it raises a lot of questions. Could you please try and describe the insensitiveness as good as possible? I guess it is OEM M3 stalks that they somehow got hold of from the producer , or would you say they are more like "home made" / made to look the same? I mean if they are original stalks then it would have the exactly the same feel as a M3 (which in turn have its pros and cons compared to the original 2012-2021 MS stalks (including the mercedes gear changer). Do you have experience with driving either, if so could you elaborate regarding any possible difference?
Just speculating here: Could any insensitivity be due to some "lag" in the transfer and processing of signals? Basically I guess it would then be described as a delay

Searching for "OBD2 splitter" turns up plenty of options, so that is reassuring.
But question remains what kind port it is, OBD2 or not ?
I searched the Tesla manual online, and it simply calls the blue port under screen a Diagnostic connector. My 2021+ also has a port under left side of the dash in footwell. Not sure what’s what.

IMG_3575.png IMG_3577.jpeg

Im really excited about all this but when you say it is insensitive it raises a lot of questions. Could you please try and describe the insensitiveness as good as possible? I guess it is OEM M3 stalks that they somehow got hold of from the producer , or would you say they are more like "home made" / made to look the same? I mean if they are original stalks then it would have the exactly the same feel as a M3 (which in turn have its pros and cons compared to the original 2012-2021 MS stalks (including the mercedes gear changer). Do you have experience with driving either, if so could you elaborate regarding any possible difference?
Just speculating here: Could any insensitivity be due to some "lag" in the transfer and processing of signals? Basically I guess it would then be described as a delay
"Insensitive" is the incorrect word. By me asking for them to be more sensitive, I mean more responsive. At times, though not every time, I feel I must make sure the gear change is fully engaged, pushing the stalk up or down very purposefully. For that matter, I must do the same with the touchscreen. It is quite possible that this lag is due to the reading and sending of the signals as you mentioned.

As far as build goes, I believe they said they custom made the stalks, though they physically appear and feel like OEM. I drove my wife's M3 yesterday, and they feel similar. As for a direct comparison, I have not put in the effort for that, nor am I going to bother. I will say that they feel solid, and not like a hack (which, yes, essentially they are).

I searched the Tesla manual online, and it simply calls the blue port under screen a Diagnostic connector. My 2021+ also has a port under left side of the dash in footwell. Not sure what’s what.

View attachment 1048599 View attachment 1048600
I always thought it was called a diagnostic connector. It seams that only Enhauto calls them OBD. The OBD2 is the port under the dash as you showed. Lots of splitters are available for that OBD port.

I guess one could always build a splitter. I believe Ryan posted somewhere deep up-thread parts for making a connector. I do not know if this is the same connector as the diagnostic port. I bought the parts way back when, and have them stored away somewhere in the bowels of my closet. Next time I am in there, I can check it out.

I guess one could always build a splitter. I believe Ryan posted somewhere deep up-thread parts for making a connector. I do not know if this is the same connector as the diagnostic port. I bought the parts way back when, and have them stored away somewhere in the bowels of my closet. Next time I am in there, I can check it out.

I found my cable. As far as a splitter goes, I did find this on Amazon. It is for M3/MY, but I think they may be the same. It may take a little bit of work, but I imaging one could make a splitter out of a couple of these.

Last edited:
"Insensitive" is the incorrect word. By me asking for them to be more sensitive, I mean more responsive. At times, though not every time, I feel I must make sure the gear change is fully engaged, pushing the stalk up or down very purposefully. For that matter, I must do the same with the touchscreen. It is quite possible that this lag is due to the reading and sending of the signals as you mentioned.

As far as build goes, I believe they said they custom made the stalks, though they physically appear and feel like OEM. I drove my wife's M3 yesterday, and they feel similar. As for a direct comparison, I have not put in the effort for that, nor am I going to bother. I will say that they feel solid, and not like a hack (which, yes, essentially they are).
I am very appreciative of your sharing, not meaning you should make a full sized test. Just trying to understand what this non-perfect feeling is originating from. I was more looking to know if you compared with older MS or with M3/Y now I know you (wife) have a M3.
Also you say the hardware looks and feel like original, so lets presume it is.

Then maybe the best guess is that the sensing frequency is not the highest, or not as high as original M3/Y

Would you say it is a matter of you need to make sure the lever reaches the very far end no matter how quick OR that it needs to be in place at the end stop for a while.
OR is it intermittent

At the same time you seem pretty satisfied so maybe a grade, something like "very close to original" + "light years better than no stalks" is accurate ...no further discussions needed :)

I am very appreciative of your sharing, not meaning you should make a full sized test. Just trying to understand what this non-perfect feeling is originating from. I was more looking to know if you compared with older MS or with M3/Y now I know you (wife) have a M3.
Also you say the hardware looks and feel like original, so lets presume it is.

Then maybe the best guess is that the sensing frequency is not the highest, or not as high as original M3/Y

Would you say it is a matter of you need to make sure the lever reaches the very far end no matter how quick OR that it needs to be in place at the end stop for a while.
OR is it intermittent

At the same time you seem pretty satisfied so maybe a grade, something like "very close to original" + "light years better than no stalks" is accurate ...no further discussions needed :)

Even if hit purposefully and fully, I did find that more than a few times nothing happened. I can't say if this is a fault of the design, or the nature of the interface.
To answer your question, I would say Light years better than no stalks!

Reactions: TSLA Pilot