Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Model S with AP 2.5 received FSD trial

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got the upgrade somehow and have been using it on local roads.

Car was bought in late 2017 with EAP on MCU 1 and AP 2.5. Later on paid for the MCU 2 upgrade.

Other than that, I never paid for a FSD upgrade or for HW 3. So was a bit confused when I got the notification that the car had a FSD trial activated and confirmed that it is indeed making local road turns. Am I missing something? I thought a car with AP 2.5 or below needed to be brought in for hardware upgrades before FSD could work?

I get that but I was always under the impression that cars with AP 2.5 hardware would not be able to have FSD? I have the option to buy FSD but would need to physically get the HW 3 hardware installed, which is why I’m surprised they were able to roll out trial FSD to me without my upgrading the hardware.

I get that but I was always under the impression that cars with AP 2.5 hardware would not be able to have FSD? I have the option to buy FSD but would need to physically get the HW 3 hardware installed, which is why I’m surprised they were able to roll out trial FSD to me without my upgrading the hardware.
Versions of FSD have been able to run on HW2.5, but I thought that FSD v12, the version used in the free trial, required HW3. Maybe that was true earlier but not now. Can you confirm your software version?

This is what software tab shows. I understand the “Full self-driving computer” in the past has indicated HW3 for some. However I have only ever paid Tesla once after vehicle purchase and that was for a MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade back in 2021ish time frame. It would be odd for them to randomly upgrade the HW at the same time? I’m not comparing but just thought it would be interesting in case any other AP2.5 folks are seeing the same thing.

IMG_1855.jpeg
IMG_1854.jpeg

Thank you all for the responses. That’s very interesting that Tesla had upgraded AP2.5 to HW3 on my MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade, it’s nice to know they did that but a heads up from them would have been nice at the time! I’m considering at the very least now of the $2k offer.