Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian BEV sales data

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been collecting data about Australian BEV sales for my own interest for some time now, but I thought it was about time I posted it somewhere. So here goes.

The main source I’m using is CarExpert’s monthly VFACTS sales reports. The monthly sales data goes back only to July 2020 - that’s when CarExpert started including BEV sales figures in their reports. There’s also one important caveat: Tesla sales are not included in the monthly data prior to March 2022. This is because Tesla refused to submit sales data to the VFACTS database. The company had a change of heart in March 2022 and finally started participating. Annual sales data does include Tesla, as Drive found some annual Tesla registration data, so I was able to add Tesla’s sales to the VFACTS sales from other brands. This lack of Tesla monthly data is why some graphs go back only to the start of 2022 (or February 2023 for the 12 month rolling graph) – there’s limited point in going back further when more than half the sales are missing.

New sales grew strongly in 2023, reaching 87,000 units. This was well up on the 33,000 sales of 2022. Cumulative sales for the 2020s soared well above the 100,000 unit milestone.

BEV sales per year 2020s.png

Cumulative by month.png

Au BEV market share year-to-date(1).png

Au BEV Sales rolling 12 months.png

Au total BEVs sold since 2020.png

But there was a major slowdown in growth in the second half of the year, with H2 sales being only slightly higher than H1 sales. Aside from the peak in June, the market has really been flat since March.

Aus BEV sales by half year.png

Au BEV Sales per month.png

Au BEV sales per month (comparison).png

Au market share by month(1).png

They might be low on stock I'm guessing, if you track the delivery ships, there aren't very many (in fact almost 0 tracking towards NZ at the moment). May be, they get some inventory from AU shores once they get delivered here... not sure
I posted this earlier this month on another topic - maybe part of the reason for the slowdown of sales in NZ?

My wife and I returned yesterday from 2 weeks driving approx. 2,300kms around the north island of NZ in a Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid small sedan.

A good car to drive car but one that screamed at me every drive in the first couple of days until I remembered to disable all the warning sound each time i started the car.

Whilst there I read with interest the long debate about the new road user charges that came into effect on April 1. Diesels have paid this charge since the 1970’s which probably explains the absence of small diesel cars on the roads there.

From April 1 BEVs will pay $76 per 1000kms. PHEVs will pay $38 and HEVs will pay nothing. Of course the latter two will pay the fuel excise.

If these figures were adopted by the Commonwealth of Oz (and the fuel excise was 49.5 cents per litre) then an annual average drive of 15,000kms in the different cars would be quite different.

BEV 15,000 @ $76 = $1140
PHEV 15,000 @ $38 = $570 plus fuel excise.
HEV 15,000 @ $0 = $0 plus fuel excise.

The Ioniq HEV I drove averaged 4.1 litres per hundred so - 15,000 = 615 litres @ $0.495 excise = $304.42 p.a.
My RWD MY would have cost me $1140 !

No wonder so many BEV owners in NZ are not happy.

If Canberra wants to rapidly slow the uptake of BEVs then they should follow the NZ idiotic new rates.

Explains the vast numbers of small HEVs in NZ, especially Prius from Toyota.

Reactions: Zoltrix77 and Miggy
Yeah 7.6c/km is ridiculous. Kiwis must be fuming. Conservative Governments pretend to be warriors for lower taxes - except they just love taxing things they have ideological objections to. To argue this is “fair” with other vehicle types is ridiculous, when those other vehicles are allowed to pollute for free.

I would not object to a reasonable RUC, but that is way too much.

Reactions: Zoltrix77