Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fisker ocean - UK forum

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At what price would people buy one? I’d pay more than WBAC were offering but not sure I’d even pay £5k.
Parting out the drivetrain should be easily worth £5-10k I would have thought, for conversions and stationary storage projects.

With EVs there really shouldn't be £500 beaters, at least for the next decade or so I would imagine, while batteries are still fairly expensive.

• Informative
Reactions: Doudeau
Parting out the drivetrain should be easily worth £5-10k I would have thought, for conversions and stationary storage projects.

With EVs there really shouldn't be £500 beaters, at least for the next decade or so I would imagine, while batteries are still fairly expensive.
Yes if you can get the battery out and reuse it then it's a rather large capacity, that's got to be worth a reasonable amount.

I'd pay £10k for an Ocean for that 110kWh battery pack. Good home energy storage solution.

As they are, if Fisker go pop in the next 6 months (seems increasingly likely), a cracked windscreen could write off this car.

Maybe they could offer a 2-for-1 deal, £25k gets you two Ocean's, keep one to drive and the other for spare parts! :D

There was a press release a few days ago about a dealership in Nottingham being appointed as a Fisker agent. It’s really weird - production stopped months ago and restart seems extremely unlikely, so I’m guessing this is just some cynical attempt at window dressing to sell off the remaining stock with a veneer of respectability.
Supposedly this was part of their strategy to stabilise the business and set up a dealer network capable of servicing vehicles, etc.

Bit late now mind!

Hard to say, you'd have to factor in the risk of how long it might run vs a possible unfixable fault with a component that cannot be sourced rendering the car scrap. I mean £5k seems fine if you figure you fancy the risk it won't break down in a year's time, far less than the deprecation you take on a new car. Hell 6 months wouldn't be terrible. If you get 3 years out of it then you are quids in.

I figure I could maybe gamble at around £10k or less if I wanted to risk it on the hope you'd get a few years out of it and put up with it's software issues that will never get fixed if they fold (An all but certainty).
If what happened to me happens then you could be without a car quite quickly.

I was locked out of the car on the 8th March at work. Fob didn't work, neither did the NFC chip which is supposed to be the backup and neither did phone access. car was literally dead, no idea. What I should have done is called roadside assistance and they would then have taken however long they take to then get someone out to me or tried to remotely fix it. As it was, I thought on my toes and called one of the techs who had visited me a month or so prior. 10 mins later he called me back and was able to send a command to the car remotely, to reset it. That worked.

However, Roadside assistance has been removed and the tech that did that for me has now left the company. So warning to those who do buy one, that could happen and you would be f**ked coz who is around to fix it now?

However, Roadside assistance has been removed and the tech that did that for me has now left the company. So warning to those who do buy one, that could happen and you would be f**ked coz who is around to fix it now?
I'm having an issue one of our keys for the X - It's been abused quite alot sitting in various pockets/gillets/cycle bags for the last 7 years.

If Tesla wasn't around or the App died, it would almost be impossible to find anyone who could work out what to do with either repair or replacement key fob. It's these fundamental process that for established car brands most 3rd party garages can sort makes some of the new EVs a really nervous 2nd hand buy, let alone a Fisker.

Even for the established brands, Halfords recently told me they cannot sure Lexus 12V batteries anymore as a 3rd party and everything had go through the Lexus main dealer.

For longterm longevity and upkeep, increasing complexity of cars isn't helping with sustainability, which ultimately is what we need.

Reactions: FastLaneJB
If what happened to me happens then you could be without a car quite quickly.

I was locked out of the car on the 8th March at work. Fob didn't work, neither did the NFC chip which is supposed to be the backup and neither did phone access. car was literally dead, no idea. What I should have done is called roadside assistance and they would then have taken however long they take to then get someone out to me or tried to remotely fix it. As it was, I thought on my toes and called one of the techs who had visited me a month or so prior. 10 mins later he called me back and was able to send a command to the car remotely, to reset it. That worked.

Yeah I think people don't realise how much cars depend on the servers that a company runs for them these days. It's not some classical car with zero to minimal electronics, the car heavily depends on those servers to work.

This is a great example which to be fair shouldn't happen regardless of if the servers are off as the car should always open at least but your ability to use the app to know what charge you are at when public charging goes. Warm it up before you hop in it, no chance. Are you incurring idle fees, has the car stopped charging? Traffic for the Sat Nav, data service to allow you to stream music using the inbuilt apps, etc. It'll all stop working.

Absolutely shouldn't do what happened to you, even if the servers were off but in that case actually it needed the servers to unlock it. Guessing otherwise it would need someone to get into it to disconnect the 12 volt and try to reboot it if the servers were offline.

If Fisker have any interest in protecting their existing owners, they’d put all the source code, build scripts etc into Escrow ready to be released to open source if the company fails. That way there’s half a chance that some enthusiasts will be able to offer some limited support.

If Fisker have any interest in protecting their existing owners, they’d put all the source code, build scripts etc into Escrow ready to be released to open source if the company fails. That way there’s half a chance that some enthusiasts will be able to offer some limited support.
Highly doubt that would be safe or be allowed by governments. They'd have to release the security keys for signing the updates to allow the cars to accept them. Once that's out in the wild, how long until someone finds a way to update the cars with some malicious kamikaze software update. The software is buggy as anything, I cannot think it's all that secure either.

Highly doubt that would be safe or be allowed by governments. They'd have to release the security keys for signing the updates to allow the cars to accept them. Once that's out in the wild, how long until someone finds a way to update the cars with some malicious kamikaze software update. The software is buggy as anything, I cannot think it's all that secure either.
Yes, that’s a good point.

Similar principle with an abacus or slide rule rather than a computer of course.
Indeed so.

But my abacus keeps appreciating whilst my computer plumets in value.
IMG_20220406_125122_edit_694194499789906.jpg