Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it over? YouTube video says EVs are DONE.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh boy… Imagine over a hundred years ago US as a nation sticking with horses, while the rest of the world went for…. Internal Combustion Engines vehicles. Including the Nazi Germany later on (Mercedes actually predates Henry Ford). We would be speaking German now. For sure.

If the US decides the EVs are dead, especially starting January 2025 in all likelihood, you better have your grandkids start learning Chinese (either Mandarin or Cantonese) immediately. Breaking news: Chinese are not stupid

I’m not going to watch that video but I don’t agree with the general assertion. Most (maybe all?) of my friends that have moved to EVs have never reverted back to ICE (or even hybrid). I was chatting with a friend just this AM that just picked up a Highland RWD three weeks ago to test out EVs and he said he and his wife are fighting who over has to drive their other car (a VW SUV). At the same time, his wife told my wife she wants to sell that SUV and get a Model Y…and she didn’t want to get the Model 3 to begin with at all. Once you drive an EV, and realize that range anxiety isn’t really justified, it’s hard to go back to ICE. My wife drives an X3 and the only family trip where we might consider taking her car is to Tahoe in the winter because she has AWD and I don’t…but I’m not even sure we’d take her car then.

One other point…school kids think Teslas are cool…even kids that don’t like cars recognize them and value them as a status symbol (but it’s not just about $…it’s about being environmentally friendly). I’ve seen the reaction that my kids’ friends have to my Model Y, “OMG! You guys got a Tesla!? When did you do that?” My wife’s brand new X3 didn’t generate a peep…the only car I’ve seen more reaction to was another dad’s Taycon…the dad who showed up in the tricked out X7 didn’t even get a second look!

Reactions: alexgr and navguy12
First of all, I know I'm preaching to the EV choir here so the responses to this might be biased. Second, not sure if any of you watch Cash's videos but he's been going very negative lately anyway.

Watch his video (as far as you can before getting fed up) and let me know your thoughts.

Is this the end of EVs?

Or are his points mostly NYC problems?

They know nothing

12 years ago everyone was saying EVs would never work.
7 years ago most were claiming EVs are doomed.
5 years ago they said Elon was crazy for predicting the new Model Y would become the best selling car in the world.

EVs did work.
EVs don’t appear doomed.
2023 most sold car in the world was the Model Y.

If the video has some/any points you would like to discuss, feel free to summarize them.

I think what you have to understand is that the very premise of “EVs are DONE” is just silly to the average poster here.

Most of us like our Teslas and bought them for that reason, not because we hoped that everyone else would love them, so some YouTuber saying “they’re done” is kind of meaningless.

First of all, I know I'm preaching to the EV choir here so the responses to this might be biased. Second, not sure if any of you watch Cash's videos but he's been going very negative lately anyway.

Watch his video (as far as you can before getting fed up) and let me know your thoughts.

Is this the end of EVs?

Or are his points mostly NYC problems?

There are as many YT wh*res claiming “(fill in the blank) is over” as there are “(fill in the blank) is taking over.

Reactions: navguy12
Thanks to the power of Likes and Social Media, everyone can be a "journalist". Where one's credibility is earned by number of thumbs up and subscribers.

I do not know if EVs are done. I do know based on sales trend, it rate of adoption has slowed. But that's down to a number of factors like over supply and borrowing rates. These factors affects many consumer high priced products.

Thanks to the power of Likes and Social Media, everyone can be a "journalist". Where one's credibility is earned by number of thumbs up and subscribers.

I do not know if EVs are done. I do know based on sales trend, it rate of adoption has slowed. But that's down to a number of factors like over supply and borrowing rates. These factors affects many consumer high priced products.
Borrowing rates are definitely a part of it. I suspect the slow down in the first quarter (in the USA) was partly due to the rebates going away for many of the available EV options.

Reactions: alexgr