Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Window Tinting - Llumar or Xpel?

Which window film should I install on Model 3?

• Llumar

Votes: 24 50.0%
  • Xpel

Votes: 24 50.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stopped by Tech Auto Glass this afternoon

I liked the owner and talked to a couple installers in the shop. Seem like nice guys.

The only thing that disappointed me was the fact that their price to do all the windows in my new Model 3 was $300-$400 more than other shops

Are that good to be worthy of the price?

I cant answer that question. I can just say I have been happy with their work, like I said before. The tint they put on my model 3 performance in 2018 is still perfect now, as I type this.

I dont shop these type of services based on price, so I dont know what other prices are in the area, nor do I know whether they are charging everyone the same thing. For all I know they could be charging me less because I am a long time customer.

I had Xpel XR on my old car (non-Tesla) and I was quite happy with it. IIRC the XR had better heat rejection than the IRX.
For my Model 3 I'm going to go for Autobahn i3 -- it seems to have better specs than the competition. It's just that I've never heard of this brand before and they host their spec sheet on Google Drive.

I cant answer that question. I can just say I have been happy with their work, like I said before. The tint they put on my model 3 performance in 2018 is still perfect now, as I type this.

I dont shop these type of services based on price, so I dont know what other prices are in the area, nor do I know whether they are charging everyone the same thing. For all I know they could be charging me less because I am a long time customer.
I should not have asked you, dumb on my part

I have been seeing prices around $1200 for all windows tinted, top of the line film from Llumar and Xpel tint shops and was a tad surprised when quoted for 3M top of the line at $1500.

Maybe 3M is a tad more expensive?

What did startle me was, after discussing the % of film to use on all the windows, he hit me with 15% on all the above glass. I have been thinking 25-30%

That I will have to think about.

I did enjoy talking to Sam at Temecula Auto Glass & Tinting and when the 2024 M3P finally arrives, I'll go back and talk to Sam again.

Last edited:
I had Xpel XR on my old car (non-Tesla) and I was quite happy with it. IIRC the XR had better heat rejection than the IRX.
For my Model 3 I'm going to go for Autobahn i3 -- it seems to have better specs than the competition. It's just that I've never heard of this brand before and they host their spec sheet on Google Drive.

I have Xpel XR + on the 3 I now have.

I've been considering: Since I'm old, I don't drive long distances anymore, only drive around 9,000 miles a year, maybe I no longer need the top of the line ceramic film anymore. Maybe the second layer down of ceramic film will do us OK???

I've been researching Geoshield Nano Ceramic. I'll take a look at Autobahn i3

Hey, I got nothing to do except fill in time while waiting for a Deliver Date

I should not have asked you, dumb on my part

I have been seeing prices around $1200 for all windows tinted, top of the line film from Llumar and Xpel tint shops and was a tad surprised when quoted for 3M top of the line at $1500.

Maybe 3M is a tad more expensive?

What did startle me was, after discussing the % of film to use on all the windows, he hit me with 15% on all the above glass. I have been thinking 25-30%

That I will have to think about.

I did enjoy talking to Sam at Temecula Auto Glass & Tinting and when the 2024 M3P finally arrives, I'll go back and talk to Sam again.

that quote is for all windows including roof and windshield?