Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Reverse UFO Sound Change/Disable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand why a sound is needed and I don't want to completely remove the sound. But does it have to be so damn loud? My wife's Tesla is the only car out of all our neighbors that I can hear backing up all the way to the end of the driveway from INSIDE MY HOUSE. No ICE car is that loud backing up. They just need to make it softer so it's as loud as the sound of an average car's engine.

Reactions: QUBO and Tha_Ape
I understand why a sound is needed and I don't want to completely remove the sound. But does it have to be so damn loud? My wife's Tesla is the only car out of all our neighbors that I can hear backing up all the way to the end of the driveway from INSIDE MY HOUSE. No ICE car is that loud backing up. They just need to make it softer so it's as loud as the sound of an average car's engine.
Well as the speaker is in the front passenger wheel well you could just tape over it with foam to tone it down.

My 2022 Hyundai Santa Fe Hybrid was louder than my MYLR. Most hybrids and EVs are much louder than any ICE car, probably what your neighbors own....

If I muffled or cut off the PWS, I'd lose my fun lock sounds.

If rather have this issue remedied than bandaided (literally).

I'd like a 1x disable that resets every trip for safety.

Plenty of times I want to back out of my garage without waking neighbors, don't mind the reverse sounds any other time

If I muffled or cut off the PWS, I'd lose my fun lock sounds.

If rather have this issue remedied than bandaided (literally).

I'd like a 1x disable that resets every trip for safety.

Plenty of times I want to back out of my garage without waking neighbors, don't mind the reverse sounds any other time
Tesla and other automakers can’t remedy anything, they’re just complying with our laws.

“The Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act of 2010 was approved by the US Senate by unanimous consent on December 9, 2010 and passed by the House of Representatives by 379 to 30 on December 16, 2010.”

“After several delays, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration issued its final ruling in February 2018. It requires hybrids and electric vehicles travelling at less than 18.6 mph (30 km/h) to emit warning sounds that pedestrians must be able to hear over background noises. The regulation requires full compliance in September 2020, but 50% of "quiet" vehicles must have the warning sounds by September 2019.“

Tesla and other automakers can’t remedy anything, they’re just complying with our laws.

“The Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act of 2010 was approved by the US Senate by unanimous consent on December 9, 2010 and passed by the House of Representatives by 379 to 30 on December 16, 2010.”

“After several delays, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration issued its final ruling in February 2018. It requires hybrids and electric vehicles travelling at less than 18.6 mph (30 km/h) to emit warning sounds that pedestrians must be able to hear over background noises. The regulation requires full compliance in September 2020, but 50% of "quiet" vehicles must have the warning sounds by September 2019.“
That can surely control the volume though. Plenty of EVs don't get as loud as Teslas do.

"Section 3(a)(2) further states that the regulation “shall require manufacturers to provide, within reasonable manufacturing tolerances, the same sound or set of sounds for all vehicles of the same make and model and shall prohibit manufacturers from providing any mechanism for anyone other than the manufacturer or the dealer to disable, alter, replace, or modify the sound or set of sounds.” 

Looks like my "single use" wish is a non- starter.

I lived with an older Tesla for a few years without any of these artificial sounds. Never ever, not a single time, I've had any issues with pedestrians not hearing me. You have fans on, the tires make plenty of noise at slow speed, you have a huge wide screen when you back out and your whole field of view when pulling out forward.

IMO, this is a useless feature and it's going to be the first thing that gets disabled when I get a Tesla again. That's one of the main reasons for EV... a smooth and quiet car.

IMO, this is a useless feature and it's going to be the first thing that gets disabled when I get a Tesla again. That's one of the main reasons for EV... a smooth and quiet car.
It's not a FEATURE its a LEGAL REQUIREMENT. Just turn the radio up. And I'd hate for you to disable this then find out you could have used it to prevent hitting someone. Just because it never happened doesn't mean it wont. 🤷‍♂️

It's not a FEATURE its a LEGAL REQUIREMENT. Just turn the radio up. And I'd hate for you to disable this then find out you could have used it to prevent hitting someone. Just because it never happened doesn't mean it wont. 🤷‍♂️

Driving the speed limit, not camping in the left lane, stopping a a red light... a few more examples of "legal requirements" which the vast majority of US drivers are ignoring.

Give me a break with legal requirement. If it were indeed a useful feature I'd be open to it. If the nhtsa in their eternal wisdom came up with this, why is it for EVs only? Take any modern more luxury ICE car and you won't hear it coming at slow speeds.

It's not a FEATURE its a LEGAL REQUIREMENT.
It's only a "legal requirement" if your car was produced after Sept of 2020. Just disconnect the speaker wire and claim it must have come loose after hitting a pot hole. You have a better chance of being hit and killed by falling space debris than getting into litigation regarding a non functioning noise maker.

Driving the speed limit, not camping in the left lane, stopping a a red light... a few more examples of "legal requirements" which the vast majority of US drivers are ignoring.

Give me a break with legal requirement. If it were indeed a useful feature I'd be open to it. If the nhtsa in their eternal wisdom came up with this, why is it for EVs only? Take any modern more luxury ICE car and you won't hear it coming at slow speeds.
It’s not just EVs, hybrids and plug ins too. It’s an annoying sounds but there is a purpose for it, noted above. But nice to know you’re the ultimate arbiter of what’s useful and not…

• Funny
Reactions: cucubits