Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WFH & Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kmrnt

LR: White/Black/19” - DD 4/20
Mar 18, 2024
miami
Hi —

Seeing there’s a ton of conflicting info on optimizing battery health, etc.

I have a 2024 3LR. I work from home, so at most drive about ~25mi during the week, and a whole lot more on weekends.

So far, have been starting the week between 60-75% and letting it sit w/o charging until Thurs/Friday night where I might charge to 80% for weekend use. Been driving a lot on weekends, so I’ll charge again Sat/+Sun to 80%.

What are your suggestions on charging in my case? Should I switch the limit throughout the week to 50-60% and charge after each use?

There isnt any real conflicting info in fairly recent posts on this topic. At a high level, for optimizing battery health, keep your charge level at rest below 55%, and charge up higher when you need to. There is also no benefit whatsoever in "run it down to charge it back up". Conversely, this wont hurt anything, but it also isnt necessary at all. If its more convenient for you to run it down (cant park where you charge every day, etc) then do that, but dont do it because you are thinking "battery health!!!!!"

For anything more than that (including lots and lots and lots of data) you can search TMC for posts by user @AAKEE.

I have a fairly rigid schedule where I drive 40-60 miles daily. I set my charge limit to 50% every day and use departure settings to finish charging just before I leave

I get more than 160 miles with 50%. That’s a lot of errands in one day so I very seldom ever charge above 50%. I do charge daily