Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12V on 2021 MYP getting old?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 70,000+ miles on the my 2021 MYP (well out of warranty) and am thinking it is about time to change out the 12V lead acid battery. I have gotten the warning to change out the battery twice now, the first time I used a battery post tool (terminal cleaning brush) to clean the negative terminal (it was corroded) and everything was fine for several months. This time, the car sat for almost a month while I was away on vacation, and I got an alert a week before coming home that the 12V needed to be replaced. This time I cleaned the top of the battery and the negative terminal with a water / baking soda solution and an old toothbrush as well as using the battery post tool... so far so good... but like I said, I am thinking it might be time to get a replacement. Is there a source other than a service center at a reasonable price? If not, how do you go about getting parts when you are out of warranty? I am not paying for a ranger to do the replacement for me, I just need the battery.

Thanks,

Keith

I have 70,000+ miles on the my 2021 MYP (well out of warranty) and am thinking it is about time to change out the 12V lead acid battery. I have gotten the warning to change out the battery twice now, the first time I used a battery post tool (terminal cleaning brush) to clean the negative terminal (it was corroded) and everything was fine for several months. This time, the car sat for almost a month while I was away on vacation, and I got an alert a week before coming home that the 12V needed to be replaced. This time I cleaned the top of the battery and the negative terminal with a water / baking soda solution and an old toothbrush as well as using the battery post tool... so far so good... but like I said, I am thinking it might be time to get a replacement. Is there a source other than a service center at a reasonable price? If not, how do you go about getting parts when you are out of warranty? I am not paying for a ranger to do the replacement for me, I just need the battery.

Thanks,

Keith
interested to know as well i have a 2021 Y LR AWD (61k miles) but have not gotten a warning yet... the lead acid on my 2012 model S seemed to last 5 years so i was hoping for the same

a ranger did my S battery replacement because it was ~$200 and when i looked at batteries most were about $175 anyway iirc

have you gotten a ranger service quote yet? it might not be too bad - also where are you located? somewhere hot? 3 years seems fast for 12V replacement

interested to know as well i have a 2021 Y LR AWD (61k miles) but have not gotten a warning yet... the lead acid on my 2012 model S seemed to last 5 years so i was hoping for the same

a ranger did my S battery replacement because it was ~$200 and when i looked at batteries most were about $175 anyway iirc

have you gotten a ranger service quote yet? it might not be too bad - also where are you located? somewhere hot? 3 years seems fast for 12V replacement

I have small draw aftermarket equipment (rear view mirror camera, and automated frunk) so I figure that may have reduced the life... not blaming Tesla for this, just looking for a viable replacement :) And yes, I live in a hot climate for the last 1.5 years.

Keith

I just picked up a new battery at the service center. Cost was $85. You won't find another battery any cheaper. Just order it through your app and pic it up. You should be able to just go to the service center and pick one up also. I didn't receive a warning, but was just changing it as a maintenance item. I've heard of others where the battery only lasted 3 to 4 years so I didn't want to take any chances since we take a lot of road trips.

Tesla service centers usually stock these batteries, and are priced lower than most other places. It is a routing thing for them to replace those batteries every few years. The newer cars have smaller, lighter, more powerful and longer lasting Lithium Ion batteries.

I just picked up a new battery at the service center. Cost was $85. You won't find another battery any cheaper. Just order it through your app and pic it up. You should be able to just go to the service center and pick one up also. I didn't receive a warning, but was just changing it as a maintenance item. I've heard of others where the battery only lasted 3 to 4 years so I didn't want to take any chances since we take a lot of road trips.

This is basically the full and complete answer. There isnt any place to get a decent compatible battery cheaper than Tesla. There are compatible ones but they are more than the Tesla one.

@Fourdoor

Try going into the Tesla app, under Service--Request Service--Upgrades and accessories--Other - Upgrade and Accessories, then in the service request text field put in there that you would like to buy a 12V battery for your model Y, parts only as you will be installing it yourself.

Thanks to jjrandorin! I followed his logic tree in the app and ordered a new 12V lead acid battery. Current price is a very reasonable $85 plus tax. That is a heck of a lot less expensive than the 12V lead acid battery in any other car I own! Also, it is being delivered by the ranger, I asked if there was a charge for dropping it off and if it would be less cost for me to just pick it up at a service center and was told the price was the same either way. I didn't ask if there is a core charge, but I plan to have the old battery either already out by the time the ranger gets there, or ready to be lifted out.

Later,

Keith

PS: If there is not a core charge I guess I can take the old battery to an AutoZone or something for disposal?

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
: If there is not a core charge I guess I can take the old battery to an AutoZone or something for disposal?
I don't know what the core charge / environment deposit situation is but a regular lead acid 12V starting battery is worth enough to engender recycling. Auto parts stores here are more than happy to take them and they pile them up on a pallet and get paid a few dollars by the recyclers.

Tyres are a different story. Not sure how that works exactly. You pay a small stewardship fee with every new tyre. I guess that goes to govt and the vendor claim on every used tyre they take back when it gets handed off to the recycler. That could get tricky if some cowboys started raiding piles of used tyres. Dunno.

Maybe that's why the fee is a small flat fee. Not enough incentive to steal them and just enough to make it worthwhile not dumping them. Works out to be about 4% of a cheap tyre and 0.4% of an expensive one.

That the Tesla 12 is not a regular starting battery but quite a bit smaller they may be doing you a favour recycling it.

Or the Ranger may be assigned to do the replacement so it can get repacked and that is how they are so cheap?

OP: Simplify the process. Let the ranger remove/reinstall the battery. Less chance of there being an issue.

I strongly recommend to anyone reading this that ANY 12v "warning" should be taken seriously. These batteries have been known to fail w/o warning, and WITH the warning, a failure can occur rather quickly and leave you stranded, or...multiple systems will report failures and complicate the issue.