Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18” photon (highland) wheels on M3P??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if the 18” Photon wheels will clear the Model 3 Performance (PUP/red Caliper) brakes?

I have 18’s that I’ve been using for winter but I’d like to snag another set of 18’s for the other 3 seasons. I think the photons look pretty decent, and it’s nice not to have centering rings etc.

Maybe I should just go aftermarket and get something extra lightweight though…. (Konig hypergrams or enkei rpf1’s perhaps?)

Reactions: bcpm3p and mpgxsvcd
Going to send TSportLine a note asking the same question. I have their 18's on my 2022 MYP and it created an entirely new vehicle.
howQI9U.jpg

The two BIGGEST improvements are FASTER and MORE EFFICIENT than running the OEM 21s. I bet that will apply to the new M3P. As soon as I hear back from TSportLine I'll share their comments.

I dont think switching to 18 inch wheels will make the model 3 highland performance any more efficient or faster. The included forged 20 inch wheels are only 22-23 lbs compared to the last generation uberturbines at 32 lbs. Most 18 inch wheels would be about the same wight of 22-23 lbs but you will have to consider the added thick tire weights which will put you into almost the same wheel + tire weight as the 20 inch if not more. Of course until unless you spend some pretty penny to buy some 18 inches that weigh around 16-18 pounds. The only reason to switch to 18 inch wheel for most people would be to put thicker tires for potholes and winter driving. I am not an expert but I think efficiency or speed would not be much of a factor if not worse?

I dont think switching to 18 inch wheels will make the model 3 highland performance any more efficient or faster. The included forged 20 inch wheels are only 22-23 lbs compared to the last generation uberturbines at 32 lbs. Most 18 inch wheels would be about the same wight of 22-23 lbs but you will have to consider the added thick tire weights which will put you into almost the same wheel + tire weight as the 20 inch if not more.

It's about 24-25 lbs for the tire.

Of course until unless you spend some pretty penny to buy some 18 inches that weigh around 16-18 pounds. The only reason to switch to 18 inch wheel for most people would be to put thicker tires for potholes and winter driving. I am not an expert but I think efficiency or speed would not be much of a factor if not worse?
18" aero wheels have less open total area (counting wheel & tire combined), and tire choices might be more efficient as well, particularly Hankook iON.

The difference in efficiency between the 18" and 20" is more than the net weight of tire + wheel. The lighter 20" tires on the new 3P are an improvement but I don't think it will be at the 18" efficiency at all. I'd make a WAG that it's 1/3rd or 1/4th of the efficiency gap between old 20" P and 18" aero.

I dont think switching to 18 inch wheels will make the model 3 highland performance any more efficient or faster. The included forged 20 inch wheels are only 22-23 lbs compared to the last generation uberturbines at 32 lbs. Most 18 inch wheels would be about the same wight of 22-23 lbs but you will have to consider the added thick tire weights which will put you into almost the same wheel + tire weight as the 20 inch if not more. Of course until unless you spend some pretty penny to buy some 18 inches that weigh around 16-18 pounds. The only reason to switch to 18 inch wheel for most people would be to put thicker tires for potholes and winter driving. I am not an expert but I think efficiency or speed would not be much of a factor if not worse?
Tire compound matters the most for efficiency. However, going down in wheel diameter does help with efficiency too.

For acceleration I don’t think going down to 18s will help as much or even at all. The new car is traction limited where the old car wasn’t.

I will be testing all of this over the next few days.

IMG_6552.jpeg

Reactions: snider00